• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#13 sunshineBetta

sunshineBetta

snooze button is my dearest friend and enemy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,761 posts
  • Betta Count:0 for now - starting over!

Posted 05 July 2006 - 09:30 PM

That's what I was worried about - Soleil prefers cooler water - he gets really zippy when it's 22-25C. At 28 he's kinda, lethargic. Sora, however, doesn't seem to mind. I also don't want the temp to climb during the day, and go back down to 26 at night...Should I set the heater so it's a constant 28-30? But I'm afraid it will be too much for the plants. :(

#14 eleraine

eleraine

Wiggler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 12:29 AM

Constant is good. If the temp varies, the fish will go bonkers with stress - just like people. After all, we wouldn't like it too much if we went from sauna to blistering cold in a few minutes/hours.

#15 sunshineBetta

sunshineBetta

snooze button is my dearest friend and enemy

• Members
  • 1,761 posts
  • Betta Count:0 for now - starting over!

Posted 07 July 2006 - 08:18 AM

yeah, the tank is now at a sizzling 81F/27C :P. I wish I could be in there...freaking temp flunctuations here...it was 18C last night, today it's gonna go up to 27C... :crazy:

Edit: actually my shower goes from freezing to blistering every minute. Sure helps keep a person awake! :roll:

Edited by sunshineBetta, 07 July 2006 - 08:19 AM.

#16 RandomWiktor

RandomWiktor

I put the "fun" in fundamentalist!

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,485 posts
  • Betta Count:8
  • Total Fish Count:Between several and many.
  • Referred By:I was sucked in by UB's gravitational force.
  • Statement:We weep for a bird's cry but not for a fish's blood; blessed are those with a voice.

Posted 07 July 2006 - 02:35 PM

Eleraine is right about consistent being the most important. If you live in a country where your betta is used to 86 degrees, they're probably fine. But if your tank is usually in the high 70's/low 80's all year round and it suddenly starts getting hot in the tank, you're going to run into problems.

#17 caldella

caldella

Good things come to those with Bettas

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 787 posts
  • Betta Count:1
  • Total Fish Count:1
  • Referred By:Research
  • Statement:If you don't mean it, why do it?

Posted 09 May 2007 - 08:00 PM

Nice information! The floating ice trick is interesting - I will have to keep it in mind. I'm not sure how hot my room gets in the summer, just that it gets hot.

One more trick you might want to add - You mentioned something about making your own screen for the top of the tank if it's too hot to have the hood. I would also like to add something that I use. When I was shopping for the tank for my first Betta, I had a store worker show me where the aquarium hoods were, only to remember they were glass. At the time, this was concerning me, since I know Bettas need enough air flow on top (she probably would have been okay, but I'm paranoid like that). It was then that he got this awesome idea: "Why don't you just use a reptile tank cover?" Reptile cage covers come in either wire or mesh, letting much more air flow through them while still keeping little Bettas in. Since they're built for aquariums/terrariums, they already fit the tops perfectly. The ones I have have little gaps in the corners to run wires for things like heaters. I use them on both my female Bettas' tanks. ^-^

Edited by caldella, 18 May 2007 - 10:01 PM.

#18 SaphPhx

SaphPhx

Delta

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts
  • Betta Count:2
  • Total Fish Count:75

Posted 14 May 2007 - 08:24 AM

I use that little mesh stuff you get at craft shops and tape the sides down except for a little flap on all my fish room tanks smile1.gif Works good but if you don't keep on top of spare food they can get manky.

I rotate large plastic tubs of ice. I think I will be screwed this year as I have over 40 tanks and only one freezer. I think I may buy a small AC unit for the fish room and set the heater to 78 and the AC thing to kick in at 80, so it should stay somewhere around 79 like it does at the moment. Will have to see how it goes though lol.

Also, keep fishies away from windows. I am guilty of having Erick by my bedside window, but have put up black out curtians and keep the window shut. I also keep his heater in year round, as the temp in the room will drop at night so at least the temp stays between 78 and 82 instead of 60 and 82.

#19 caldella

caldella

Good things come to those with Bettas

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 787 posts
  • Total Fish Count:1
  • Referred By:Research
  • Statement:If you don't mean it, why do it?

Posted 18 May 2007 - 09:58 PM

QUOTE (SaphPhx @ May 14 2007, 09:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Also, keep fishies away from windows. I am guilty of having Erick by my bedside window, but have put up black out curtians and keep the window shut. I also keep his heater in year round, as the temp in the room will drop at night so at least the temp stays between 78 and 82 instead of 60 and 82.

One of my fish is kind of close to a window, so I keep his heater in 24/7 as well. I also stuff the window sills full of shirts if the weather's dropping too much that night, because I feel that keeping the drafts out might help a bit. =D Heehee.

#20 Zafirah(charmedbettas)

Zafirah(charmedbettas)

Halfsun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts
  • Total Fish Count:9
  • Referred By:Fishforums.net

Posted 01 May 2008 - 11:03 PM

Wowis is very helpful

Tanks Randomwiktor dance2.gif

#21 GlassSky

GlassSky

Plakat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts
  • Betta Count:9 adults, 5 fry
  • Total Fish Count:
  • Referred By:Random search.
  • Statement:I think this calls for--! A nap.

Posted 02 May 2008 - 03:16 AM

Absolutely great advice! I realized when I was buying snails that it was a little warm in my car, luckily my AC cranks up pretty fast. I'll definitely invest in a six-pack cooler for those frozen food runs.

Even in the summer, I keep a space heater in my bedroom. I'm cold-natured, so it helps me AND the fish fend off the icy AC my sister prefers.. tongue1.gif The last thing I want is for the babies to freeze.

#22 thewandererw

thewandererw

Fry

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • Total Fish Count:2

Posted 26 June 2008 - 07:51 PM

help! i have an eclipse 3 gal.filtered tank and the water is 86 with no heater. i can't take the hood off the filter is in the hood. and the water will splash out. i do have ac though. unsure12.gif how can i lower the water temp?

#23 tygr1203

tygr1203

still crazy for yellows!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,013 posts
  • Betta Count:9
  • Total Fish Count:9
  • Referred By:google

Posted 27 June 2008 - 01:20 AM

get a bag and put ice cubes in, then tie it, dunk it in. make sure the bag doesn't leak! chlorine in the melted cubes wont' be good...

#24 tmz

tmz

I'm Awesome.

• Members
  • 1,328 posts
  • Betta Count:Just my little Bagel <3
  • Referred By:magical things
  • Statement:I can flare too. RAWR!

Posted 23 July 2008 - 04:33 PM

this is an awesome article. i love the cooler idea, and i actually might have to use it next week if i do end up getting another fish. thank you so much for the information.

the cool water partial changes works wonderfully too. my room gets very very hot. (year round. i don't know how, but even in the winter it can be almsot 80 degrees) so keeping my fish from boiling is a big concern for me. for the last week or so when i do my daily partial water changes (theyre only around 15%) i use much cooler water then in my fish's tank, and i somehow manage to keep the water around 78 or 80.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq