39 replies to this topic

#1 RandomWiktor

RandomWiktor

I put the "fun" in fundamentalist!

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,485 posts
  • Betta Count:8
  • Total Fish Count:Between several and many.
  • Referred By:I was sucked in by UB's gravitational force.
  • Statement:We weep for a bird's cry but not for a fish's blood; blessed are those with a voice.

Posted 20 June 2006 - 08:52 PM

Anyone with bettas, particularly the long finned variety, knows the struggle of finding affordable, betta-safe, tasteful caves. Most plastic caves in pet stores have too many sharp edges. Most ceramic caves come only in lovely shades of neon. And most flower pots, while cheap and effective, leave something to be desired visually, roll around, and are harder to sterilize because of the pores.
The benefits of making your own cave are obvious: you can guarentee its safety, customize its shape and color, and chose a size and style that works for your tank.

Well, I found a candle holder for 95 cents at my local craft store that, when paired with gravel and a plant, makes a very attractive betta cave, so I thought I'd share the process with you. You can apply the steps to any shape or size, adding whatever color gravel and type of fake plant you want to make an attractive and safe cave for your betta.

1) Select a glass candle holder or similar glass container, that fits in your tank. Make sure it hasn't been painted or dyed, and has only smooth rounded edges. I use this holder; the shape is easy to set on the floor of a tank with or without gravel, and has fewer surfaces to cover with gravel than a cube, which saves money.
2) Also select a small bag of gravel (whatever color you want) and a small silk plant. I suggest chosing gravel similar in color to the tank's gravel to give a unified theme. Silk plants should have a large enough stem to be attached securely to the glass.
3) The last thing you will need to buy is a small tube of aquarium sealant; it doesn't take much sealant to make one cave, so you can realistically make quite a few with just one tube.
4) Rise and dry the gravel and glass alike. Once both are dry and ready, start by coating one side of the glass with sealant. Then, coat it thickly in sand or gravel until you can not see the glass below.
5) Keeping one hand inside the candle holder, rotate and repeat the procedure on the next side. Do the side with the attached plant last.
6) To attach the plant, lay the stem flush to the glass and secure with a thick coating of sealant. Once it has started to harden (which shouldn't take long), you can start affixing the gravel. Do not try to attach the plant and gravel simultaneously; one or the other usually falls off.
7) Leave the bottom of the cave without any gravel. This allows it to be placed on the bottom of a gravel-less aquarium. It also makes it easier to place on top of gravel, and keeps the cave level. You should also leave the inside of the cave smooth; this will give the betta more comfortable resting place, and will increase the ease of cleaning the cave should your betta choose to use it as a potty (one of mine does).
8) Let the sealant set for a minimum of 48 hours. After that point, you can trim any excess sealant (if any), rinse, and place it in the tank. Your betta will love it!

Posted Image
Here is a sample cave in the shallow 2.5g special needs tank - in a normal tank, the attached plant wouldn't be part of the way out of the water. Notice the glass interior for easy cleaning. Also notice the tail of the boy leaning up against the cave and hiding under the adjacent plants - too cute!

Edited by RandomWiktor, 18 July 2006 - 11:24 AM.

#2 Guest_Cid_*

Guest_Cid_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 June 2006 - 09:39 PM

Oohh i have a lil cray that would love that ! ^^

Where do you get your awaurium sealent and what is it called? I keep picking stuff up that is recomended and it says not for use in aquariums on the back.. ...in tiny tiny letters lol.

#3 RandomWiktor

RandomWiktor

• Administrator
  • 10,485 posts
  • Statement:We weep for a bird's cry but not for a fish's blood; blessed are those with a voice.

Posted 20 June 2006 - 09:47 PM

I use All-Glass Aquarium Silicone Sealant. It is not-toxic to fresh and saltwater fish once it sets. And its dirt cheap. I use the same for fixing leaks and cracks. It works wonders.

Edited by RandomWiktor, 20 June 2006 - 09:49 PM.

#4 Guest_Cid_*

Guest_Cid_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 June 2006 - 10:24 PM

Which store do you usually hit for that stuff? *makes notes* lol

#5 tygr1203

tygr1203

still crazy for yellows!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,013 posts
  • Betta Count:9
  • Total Fish Count:9
  • Referred By:google

Posted 20 June 2006 - 10:30 PM

omg i've been trying to think of stuff to use to make little 'houses' for my females in their sorority tank, and all the little guys i've started to accumulate in my sun tea jars. This is great! Thanks for the great idea!

#6 RandomWiktor

RandomWiktor

• Administrator
  • 10,485 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 11:08 PM

Which store do you usually hit for that stuff? *makes notes* lol

I can usually find the sealant, gravel, and plants in Petco, Pet Supplies Plus, and other pet/fish stores. As for the candle holders, AC Moore usually carries cheap glass ones.

#7 Guest_Cid_*

Guest_Cid_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 June 2006 - 11:18 PM

Good to know :) Thanks RW :D I am gunna doll up my tanks soon.. i love that idea ^^

#8 gumbo

gumbo

To Err is human, to Arrgh is Pirate!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,754 posts
  • Betta Count:17 female 2 male
  • Total Fish Count:100 shrimp count 1000+
  • Referred By:Mr. Google
  • Statement:Life is too short, don't sweat the small stuff.

Posted 21 June 2006 - 06:02 AM

What a good idea! Easy and cheap and very practical for our betta friends. :betta:

#9 Eudie

Eudie

1958-2010 RIP Baby

• Retired Moderator
  • 13,627 posts
  • Betta Count:Who knows?
  • Total Fish Count:See Above
  • Referred By:In the beginning . . .
  • Statement:Don't be so open-minded; your brains will fall out.

Posted 23 June 2006 - 06:05 AM

If you can't find the sealant at a pet store, I've gotten it at WalMart several times in the pet department.

This is a cute idea. I have the little flower pots in some of my tanks, but where they roll they were a pain to try to get the rock to stay on until the sealant hardened, they keep sliding down the side and I have to hold each one until it starts to set up and then there is always the hole in the bottom that has to be sealed up somehow, too. This sounds much easier and I like the idea of attaching the plant for a dressier look. Thanks RK!

#10 tygr1203

tygr1203

still crazy for yellows!

• Members
  • 3,013 posts
  • Betta Count:9
  • Total Fish Count:9
  • Referred By:google

Posted 13 July 2006 - 10:35 PM

pictures, btw pictures!

#11 Christopher

Christopher

Self-explanatory

• Christopher
  • 22,815 posts
  • Betta Count:Zero.
  • Total Fish Count:None?
  • Referred By:Ceiling Cat.
  • Statement:(OO=00=OO)

Posted 14 July 2006 - 08:22 AM

:pics1:

#12 Morgan

Morgan

Alpha Betta Gamma

• Retired Moderator
  • 3,139 posts

Posted 15 July 2006 - 11:30 PM

Thanks for the idea! I'm looking forward to the pictures!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq