18 replies to this topic

#13 RandomWiktor

RandomWiktor

I put the "fun" in fundamentalist!

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,480 posts
  • Betta Count:8
  • Total Fish Count:Between several and many.
  • Referred By:I was sucked in by UB's gravitational force.
  • Statement:We weep for a bird's cry but not for a fish's blood; blessed are those with a voice.

Posted 04 December 2007 - 08:39 PM

Not many fish can go in a 5g tank since most tropicals are schooling animals. However, there are some species that are solitary; first of all, bettas! An upgrade to a 5g tank for one of your boys plus an apple snail would be very nice. I believe that some species of dwarf Gourami, which are also solitary/aggressive, are small enough for a 5g tank, but don't quote me on that - research it first. You might be able to keep a trio of white cloud mountain minnows with one of these snails in a 5g if you over filter. But really, your best bet for healthy bioloading is an apple snail and a betta. smile1.gif

#14 Kitsune Betta Luver

Kitsune Betta Luver

Wiggler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 02:06 AM

QUOTE (RandomWiktor @ Dec 4 2007, 08:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Not many fish can go in a 5g tank since most tropicals are schooling animals. However, there are some species that are solitary; first of all, bettas! An upgrade to a 5g tank for one of your boys plus an apple snail would be very nice. I believe that some species of dwarf Gourami, which are also solitary/aggressive, are small enough for a 5g tank, but don't quote me on that - research it first. You might be able to keep a trio of white cloud mountain minnows with one of these snails in a 5g if you over filter. But really, your best bet for healthy bioloading is an apple snail and a betta. smile1.gif

Yeah I think a Betta a snail would be just fine..I think I might try to introduce the snail to the tank and then find a Betta to introduce later. I just really want to get the poor snail out of the plastic cup is all...but for the while he seems fine in there. I wonder if I should try to place him empty 2 gallon tank for right now, thought to be honest I would rather not since I want to replace rocks and the air stone in there for whatever new occupants it might get. hmm still kind of debating this, hopefully I can find somewhere to put him where he will be happy.

#15 RandomWiktor

RandomWiktor

• Administrator
  • 10,480 posts
  • Statement:We weep for a bird's cry but not for a fish's blood; blessed are those with a voice.

Posted 05 December 2007 - 07:15 AM

Honestly, the sooner he's out of the cup the better; they can be poisoned by their own waste pretty rapidly, and prefer a high oxygen environment. Just remember to filter if you put him in a 5g with a betta; the betta may not need filtration, but the snail definately does. :thumbp:

#16 Kitsune Betta Luver

Kitsune Betta Luver

Wiggler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 06:42 PM

QUOTE (RandomWiktor @ Dec 5 2007, 07:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Honestly, the sooner he's out of the cup the better; they can be poisoned by their own waste pretty rapidly, and prefer a high oxygen environment. Just remember to filter if you put him in a 5g with a betta; the betta may not need filtration, but the snail definately does. :thumbp:

Do you think if I put him in the 2.5g tank for now he should do ok until I can afford to get 5g or 3g lol I am debating over what kind of tank I am going to get next, I just don't want him to get sick from whatever my Betta had. And I kind of wanted to replace the stuff inside the tank with better new stuff that might not have diseases on it, like the gravel and the air stone in there mostly.

ok I just cleaned out the 2.5 with hot water and I put in de colrinator just letting that settle and then I am putting him in, going to try and start looking for a 5g tank either the last week of December or the fist week of January would do it sooner but me and my mom are taking a trip to FL to do a WDW Christmas/Birthday trip should be back in town by the 23rd though so can start looking for tanks then I think. Hopefully he should be ok n the 2.5 for a little while anything better then that tiny little cup I would guess.

Edited by Kitsune Betta Luver, 05 December 2007 - 07:04 PM.

#17 TheBettaholic

TheBettaholic

Halfmoon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 02:50 PM

I bought three apple snails a couple weeks back, but didn't know much about them...
Now I realize that they were polluting the tank/jars they were in, so I pulled them out. Three of them are in a jar in the kitchen, to make it easier to feed them. For water, I was thinking at least once a day I would drain most of the water, and fill with RO water (because they are in the kitchen, and far from my supply of dechlor tap water)... Also because they need a higher pH, I'm considering putting half of a conch shell in there.. What do people think of that?

#18 RandomWiktor

RandomWiktor

• Administrator
  • 10,480 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 08:56 PM

I don't think R/O is a good idea because they need hard water and high pH, which is more than a conch shell is going to do. You could remineralize the water, but I don't see why being in a separate room from dechlorinated tap is an issue? Just bring the water there in a bucket or a few empty gallon. You really need to get them a properly sized, filtered aquarium though - a jar is NOT a sufficient home for this species.

#19 TheBettaholic

TheBettaholic

Halfmoon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 12 July 2008 - 09:58 AM

QUOTE (RandomWiktor @ Jul 11 2008, 10:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't think R/O is a good idea because they need hard water and high pH, which is more than a conch shell is going to do. You could remineralize the water, but I don't see why being in a separate room from dechlorinated tap is an issue? Just bring the water there in a bucket or a few empty gallon. You really need to get them a properly sized, filtered aquarium though - a jar is NOT a sufficient home for this species.

I thought that might be a problem..
Right now the only filtered tank I have is my fry tank, and I don't want to put any snails in there. I think I'll give them to my friend
She's planning to set up a community tank, with filtration and all that good stuff smile1.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq