elise

UltimateBettas Veteran

• Retired Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,256 posts
  • Betta Count:1
  • Total Fish Count:2

Posted 03 February 2007 - 12:00 PM

*Keep in mind, this is my method of shipping. I'm sure some people do it a bit differently, so this isn't set in stone!*

What you need:

A box. There are many places to get boxes for shipping fish. WalMart and any office store (like Staples and Office Max) will have them. I personally get the priority shipping boxes that the USPS offers for free. You should be able to get them from your local post office, and you can always get them online from their website. If you use these boxes though, make sure you're only shipping through the USPS.

Styrofoam insulation. You can get this from a home improvement store like Home Depot or Lowes. You'll want it at least a 1/2" thick. You'll also need a razor blade for cutting this to the appropriate size.

A heat pack. I recommend the 60 hour ones for shipping express, and the 72 hour ones for shipping priority. There are many places to get them; Aquabid is a good place to start. If you'd like a recommendation on a seller, I get mine from the seller Viking, and have only good things to say about him.

Shipping bags. You'll need two bags per fish. These are also available from Aquabid. I personally got the 4" x 12" ones from Majestic Bettas.

Newspaper, packing tape, scissors, Sharpie marker.

What do to:

1. Tape up the bottom of your box.

Posted Image

2. On your computer make some labels to put on the sides of the box. I never put "Live Fish," only because sometimes well-meaning postal workers cause more harm than good when they know there are fish in the box (such as putting the box right by the air-conditioning vent in the summer-- not good!). Here are my labels:

Posted Image

3. Cut the labels and tape them to all sides of the box using packing tape.

Posted Image

4. Carefully cut the styrofoam insulation to the appropriate sizes using a razor. You'll want one piece to cover the entire bottom of the box, 4 pieces for the sides, and a piece to go over the top. This takes some practice and can be a pain at first, but after a few you'll get the hang of it. The important thing is to make sure all the pieces fit together tightly.

Posted Image

5. Assemble all the styrofoam pieces into the box, except for the top.

Posted Image

6. Open both shipping bags, and fill the first with a couple inches of CLEAN, DECHLORINATED water (not water from the tank). Put the fish the bag. You want to make sure the fish is completely covered in water, but remember that water is not what's important here; rather it's air. Bettas don't need to swim around while being shipped, they just need to stay wet.

7. Tie the bag closed, making sure you close in plenty of air. You want 1/2-2/3 of the bag to be air. DO NOT BLOW THE AIR INTO THE BAG! The air needs to be oxygen-rich, not already "used." Tie the bag knot very tightly to prevent leakage, and cut off excess bag.

(Thanks to Flo for being my model!)
Posted Image

*THIS IS IMPORTANT!!* MAKE SURE THAT WHEN YOU TURN THE BAG SIDEWAYS THAT THE FISH IS STILL SUBMERGED!!!
Posted Image

8. Put the first bag (with the betta in it) into the second (empty) bag KNOT FIRST. Tie the second bag closed, again very tightly, and cut off excess bag.

Posted Image

Posted Image

9. Unwrap heat pack, wrap in newspaper, and put it against one side of the box. Heat packs get very hot so you want to make sure it's not close enough to boil the fish, and you certainly don't ever want the heat pack to come in direct contact with the fish bag.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

10. Put the fish in the box on the other side of the box. Make sure that the first bag's knot is facing up. Pack newspaper all between the heatpack and fish, and on the sides of the fish to keep it standing up.

Posted Image

Posted Image

11. Put the styrofoam cover in place, tape up the box, and add "THIS END UP" labels to the top of the box if desired. I also put arrows pointing up on all sides of the box and write "FRAGILE."

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

12. Address box. If you're using USPS Express shipping, you'll need to use special labels that you can get at the time of shipping, or get ahead of time from the post office or online.

And you're all set! :)

Now, a note on priority shipping. I had heard on a different forum that someone was having some trouble with priority shipping. They called the USPS, and they were told that as of January 1st, 2007, a package shipped priority can take up to 14 days to reach its destination. As a breeder who ships bettas somewhat often, I was concerned and sent USPS an e-mail. Here is what I wrote:

Hello,

I am a betta fish breeder who ships fish via USPS all over the country. When it is warm enough, I offer the option of either express shipping or priority shipping. However, I recently heard that as of January 1, 2007 packages may take up to 14 days to arrive at the destination. I cannot find any information on this on your website, and would like to make sure that this is true, because if so, I will no longer be offering priority shipping as an option (but will still ship express). I'd very much appreciate a reply. Thank you!

Sincerely,
Elise *last name censored*

Two days later, I got this response:

Dear ELISE *last name censored*,

Thank you for contacting us about the delivery time for Priority mail.

Priority mail has an estimated delivery time of 2-3 postal business days. This is not a guaranteed delivery time there can be delays.

There is no guarantee with the delivery time any of the Domestic mail classes except Express mail. However, 94 plus percent of mail is delivered in within their perspective estimated delivery times.

If a mail piece does not arrive in the estimated delivery time it is not considered lost until 14 postal business days have past from the date of mailing (Except Express mail, Express has a different process). At that point we will file a report for the mail piece if the customer notifies the United States Postal Service of the matter.

If I can be of assistance to you in the future, please don't hesitate to contact me. Thank you for choosing the United States Postal ServiceŽ.

Regards,

David F

I just wanted to share this, as it surely concerns all of you who ship fish and/or have fish shipped to you. It may very well be worth the extra $15 (or so) to upgrade to Express.

I hope you all found this informative! :)
  • LilGreenPuffer, ibetta, Christina O. and 2 others like this

#2 Manuran

Manuran

Halfmoon

• Ultimate-Elite-Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts

Posted 03 February 2007 - 12:07 PM

That is very well done Elise. I know I take it for granted that people know how to pack fish, and then I sometimes get an unpleasant surprise when the box arrives.

I'm sure a lot of bettas thank you!

Great job!

#3 Lucky_and_Comet

Lucky_and_Comet

Alpha Betta

• Elite Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,375 posts
  • Betta Count:2
  • Referred By:Google search for Bettas

Posted 03 February 2007 - 01:13 PM

*claps*
Wonderful the pictures are very helpful!

#4 sunshineBetta

sunshineBetta

snooze button is my dearest friend and enemy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,761 posts
  • Betta Count:0 for now - starting over!

Posted 03 February 2007 - 07:04 PM

Great step-by-step pictures elise!!! Thanks for putting in all that effort! :tup:

#5 Shiraz

Shiraz

Bubbler

• Elite Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts
  • Betta Count:More than last week!
  • Total Fish Count:Who knows?
  • Referred By:Google?

Posted 07 February 2007 - 10:48 AM

Very informative Elise! I will definitely use this as my reference when I begin to ship my own fish. Could you add in the outdoor temperature range that a heat pack should be used for, and at what temperature it is too warm to use one? I was also wondering if the pink styro was better at insulating than the white stuff, because It's certainly more expensive!

#6 Sami

Sami

Super-Delta

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  • Betta Count:0
  • Total Fish Count:10
  • Referred By:sammyblot

Posted 07 February 2007 - 02:56 PM

Wow, great job! Thanks smile1.gif. Very helpful. In spring I will be shipping fish and this helps a lot.

#7 elise

elise

UltimateBettas Veteran

• Retired Moderator
  • 3,256 posts

Posted 07 February 2007 - 03:37 PM

QUOTE (Shiraz @ Feb 7 2007, 11:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Very informative Elise! I will definitely use this as my reference when I begin to ship my own fish. Could you add in the outdoor temperature range that a heat pack should be used for, and at what temperature it is too warm to use one? I was also wondering if the pink styro was better at insulating than the white stuff, because It's certainly more expensive!

Hmmm, well, I just keep in mind that a betta should be in water 70-80 degrees or so... so I'd use a heat pack when my temperature and/or theirs is significantly less than that (since you don't boiled fishies either). I'd say just use your judgment. smile1.gif

As for the styrofome, I usually use the white stuff; that pink kind was actually from a box I recently received because I was too lazy to cut my own for the pictures. winkz1.gif The pink seems like it would do a better job (it's less porous), but I've never had a problem with the white kind, either.

#8 Mumusuki

Mumusuki

Veiltail

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  • Betta Count:11 and fry
  • Total Fish Count:Dunno
  • Referred By:Hakkobetta

Posted 08 February 2007 - 02:23 PM

That was great! Thank you!

#9 Dusti

Dusti

Betta Addict

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Betta Count:5
  • Total Fish Count:Over 50
  • Referred By:google

Posted 17 February 2007 - 08:53 AM

Hi!

I have a question.. do you know if we can use those priority boxes if we ship express?

#10 elise

elise

UltimateBettas Veteran

• Retired Moderator
  • 3,256 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 10:25 AM

I do, and other people do too. The USPS doesn't care as long as you're shipping with them and not like Fed Ex or something... they're making more money off you when you ship Express anyway! Just make sure you somehow cover up where it says priority on the box. They USPS has free express labels you can get from their website, you can just use those to cover it up if you want. smile1.gif

#11 Stalker13

Stalker13

Wiggler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
  • Betta Count:6
  • Total Fish Count:6

Posted 25 February 2007 - 12:36 AM

That was excellently done! I knew little to nothing about sending bettas out, and after reading that I at least have a good feal for it. Doubt I'll send any out, but good info to know none the less. Well done thumb5.gif

#12 stefanielorraine

stefanielorraine

Egg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 22 May 2007 - 10:52 AM

Thanks for writing this. I have kind of a dumb question...but how do you put your Betta in the bag? Generally, when I net mine, he doesn't quite get the whole swimming out of the net part after I've moved him (he'll just sit in the net for a while)...and in a bag there won't be enough room to kind of shake him out. When I bought him at the pet store, the guy just had him in a tiny bowl and dumped the entire contents into the bag. This totally freaked me out when he did it...but is that an acceptable way to put a betta into a bag?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq