#1 Maryparker

Maryparker

Fry

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • Betta Count:11

Posted 10 July 2012 - 07:56 PM

The baby bettas at petco.. Are they all male? And when do betta fry start to flare? Whwn do the females show their white dot?

#2 Synge

Synge

Plakat

• Elite Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 462 posts
  • Betta Count:1 - Crys
  • Total Fish Count:1
  • Referred By:VelvetDragon

Posted 11 July 2012 - 08:09 AM

The baby bettas at petco.. Are they all male? And when do betta fry start to flare? Whwn do the females show their white dot?

They could be either male or female, but in most cases it will be impossible to tell in the store. Females are probably more common. As I understand it, they are typically about a month old. They have special needs, and even advanced aquarists sometimes have problems keeping them alive into adulthood. Along with many others here, I consider the sale of these "baby bettas" to be unethical, and would urge you to reconsider. You can read more about them on this thread.

Edited by Synge, 11 July 2012 - 08:13 AM.

• Nelson and C M like this

#3 Nelson

Nelson

"Happiness is a hand full of salamanders" -Palor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,843 posts
  • Betta Count:7
  • Total Fish Count:8
  • Referred By:SupersonicMuffin/Limefox

Posted 11 July 2012 - 08:22 AM

Got one myself (for shame) and they CERTAINLY are not for beginners or anyone who isn't very familiar with raising fry. Which the majority of fishkeepers are not. I don't think 80% of people who walk into Petco even know that fish can eat live or frozen foods.
  • Emie and Synge like this

#4 Synge

Synge

Plakat

• Elite Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 462 posts
  • Betta Count:1 - Crys
  • Referred By:VelvetDragon

Posted 11 July 2012 - 08:48 AM

Got one myself (for shame) and they CERTAINLY are not for beginners or anyone who isn't very familiar with raising fry.

For what it's worth Nelson, I forgive you. Before deciding to adopt from 1fish2fish, I spent a lot of time looking at bettas in various stores, and I too experienced the nearly overwhelming urge to "rescue" several of these poor fish. What's done is done, and I'm sure that any betta is lucky to have you as their caretaker.

Edited by Synge, 11 July 2012 - 08:49 AM.

#5 Dorotea

Dorotea

Egg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  • Betta Count:4
  • Total Fish Count:5
  • Statement:Resident Potter-Sherlockian-Whovian-head.

Posted 16 July 2012 - 01:58 PM

Actually, I bought two of them about a month ago, (I have a good deal of experience raising fish) and they've been really healthy- they're developing beautifully and growing quickly- and seem very hardy. One of them recently ( As in, early this week)lost a lot of her colour and energy, but I've been giving her bettafix and she's even better than before. The babies seem a lot healthier than the adults in the store are, and I enjoy raising them as they are often healthier, stronger, and I love the excitement of watching them grow up. I'd prefer if they were kept a bit better, and people were educated about them first ,though. Definitely not for beginners.

#6 Susurro

Susurro

Loves bettas more than people

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,741 posts
  • Betta Count:1
  • Referred By:The Interweb
  • Statement:"The mind is everything. What you think you become." - Siddhartha Gautama

Posted 16 July 2012 - 05:43 PM

Bettafix really isn't recommended for bettas even though it is marketed for them. It can harm their labyrinth organ and also essentially smother them.
  • Zanna likes this

#7 KeithP

KeithP

Juvie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • Betta Count:1
  • Referred By:none

Posted 17 July 2012 - 08:49 AM

Here is a growth video of a "female" betta I bought, but was really a baby, and male!

#8 Neptune2009

Neptune2009

Juvie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • Betta Count:2
  • Total Fish Count:2

Posted 19 July 2012 - 02:38 PM

I purchased a baby girl from PetSmart in June 2011. I still have her, fit as a fiddle, the healthiest betta girl I've ever had.
  • brianjim likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq