C M

Advocate for the underdogs of pet rescue

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,347 posts
  • Betta Count:Three
  • Total Fish Count:Three

Posted 16 April 2012 - 11:56 AM

As some of you may have read under Betta Talk, I was given a completely free (no other purchase necessary either) Betta because he came into the mom and pop store with a fungal infection. I asked one of the employees whom I know is fish savvy and cares about the fish there, if I could try nursing him back to health. He said "he's yours. I'm afraid he'll just die in the store." He did warn me that he didn't expect him to live overnight since who knows how long he had the fungal infection while at the suppliers' place. I really had hope though because Azure (the Betta) was really happy to see me despite being sick, and the next morning after I took him in and acclimated him, he did happy dances for me and just wanted to be closest to me as he could in the tank. He even ate a couple of pellets for me.

Then this morning, tragedy. I woke up and despite medicating the tank shortly after I got him, he had died and was covered in fungus. He kept trying to lay on the suction cup against the heater, despite having other things to rest on. I moved it so he couldn't get stuck and hopefully couldn't do that again but he found a way to do it. I really hope he didn't burn himself while alive. His body looked really relaxed at least, not in a panicked position. I told myself I wouldn't cry, or take it too hard, because I knew I could lose him. But I got attached to him, he had so much spunk despite being sick, and he really seemed to like me a lot, even ignoring other people looking in the tank to come see me (even before I gave him food). That makes it even harder.

Rest well sweet Azure. I'm sorry I couldn't save you no matter what I did. I hope I brought you some happiness before your untimely death.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by C M, 16 April 2012 - 11:56 AM.

#2 LouisaMaeBrown

LouisaMaeBrown

UltimateBettas Veteran

• Elite Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,745 posts
  • Betta Count:Ever changing :)
  • Referred By:internet search
  • Statement:I am NOT addicted!.... okay, maybe I am, a little.

Posted 16 April 2012 - 08:27 PM

I'm sorry. :( You tried to help him.
  • C M likes this

#3 C M

C M

• Members
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 04:33 PM

Thank you. I did literally everything in my power. I kept the tank dark, warm, and kept the water level lower so he could get to the surface easily. The tank was cycled and a four gallon. But it just wasn't enough, he was too far gone apparently. I'm still sad, I was really hoping he'd be able to pull through with good care.

#4 sarahberry

sarahberry

Sarah Berry

• Members
  • 1,470 posts
  • Betta Count:1- Edgar Blutbod
  • Total Fish Count:1
  • Statement:RIP Bitsy.

Posted 18 April 2012 - 08:28 AM

RIP pretty boy. You certainly did all you could for him.

#5 C M

C M

• Members
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 12:40 PM

Thank you SarahBerry.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users