15 replies to this topic

#1 SquishyBettax4

SquishyBettax4

Alpha Betta

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 01:03 PM

I've been doing some research and the current food I'm feeding my dog is pretty hard to find. So I'm looking into changing it to a brand more easily found but still keep high quality and nutrition. That being said, what do you guys feed your dog(s)?

Similarly, do you feed the same brand ONLY in cat formula as well and if not why OR what do you feed instead? ((I'm currently feeding my cat NB and was thinking about MAYBE trying that for my dog as well.))

I'm well aware of the "grocery" brand foods being mostly no good but I've found that one of my grocery stores carries a higher quality brand Wysong which I've heard and read is a good brand. I really would like to stay away from really pricey foods so IF I can spend under $45 a bag that would be great.

Edited by SquishyBettax4, 09 April 2012 - 01:05 PM.

#2 ~KK~

~KK~

Kritter Keeper

• Members
  • 1,396 posts
  • Betta Count:None atm
  • Statement:My life is a zoo, and I love it!

Posted 09 April 2012 - 03:24 PM

Wysong is listed as a 2 star food according to Dog food analysis, the same as authority, avoderm, cesar, and several others.

We feed our dogs Solid Gold small breed bison formula or their senior formula, a 4 star food. The cat gets low fat Wellness or Blue Buffalo.

#3 Julee

Julee

Master of worlds.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,551 posts
  • Betta Count:Everchanging
  • Referred By:Petfish.net

Posted 09 April 2012 - 05:21 PM

Wellness CORE.

#4 1fish2fish

1fish2fish

Halfmoon Maniac

• Members
  • 2,324 posts
  • Betta Count:Lots
  • Statement:Hey.. you!! Join the Eastern Betta Society.

Posted 09 April 2012 - 06:29 PM

Bella gets Innova. The plain large bites one in the green bag. She does WONDERFULLY on it. Over the winter I was really tight on money so I had to feed her a lower quality food and I could really tell the difference, her coat wasn't as soft and shiny and she didn't keep weight on as well.

#5 Susurro

Susurro

Loves bettas more than people

• 4,751 posts
  • Betta Count:1
  • Total Fish Count:1
  • Referred By:The Interweb
  • Statement:"The mind is everything. What you think you become." - Siddhartha Gautama

Posted 09 April 2012 - 07:42 PM

I feed Natural Balance Ultra Premium formula and I paid $35 I think for a 15 pound bag. When you say you want to stay under $45 a bag, how large of a bag are you talking, how many pounds?

#6 LouisaMaeBrown

LouisaMaeBrown

UltimateBettas Veteran

• Elite Member
  • 7,745 posts
  • Betta Count:Ever changing :)
  • Referred By:internet search
  • Statement:I am NOT addicted!.... okay, maybe I am, a little.

Posted 09 April 2012 - 08:18 PM

I feed the cats Wellness Core and the dogs get Orijen. They both are great foods imo. :)

#7 SquishyBettax4

SquishyBettax4

Alpha Betta

• Members
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 08:14 AM

Steph- I'm looking to stay with a 28-30 pound bag.

#8 WigglePuppy

WigglePuppy

Alpha Betta

• Members
  • 1,231 posts
  • Betta Count:4
  • Total Fish Count:enough....I think

Posted 10 April 2012 - 08:47 AM

Exact brand names aren't the thing to inquire about as everyone is going to give you a different reply and some of those people may be feeding their chosen brand because some website told them to, not because they know what's in it and if they agree with those ingredients (for example, potato is considered a great carb right now, but I avoid it like the plague, it is much too high on the glycemic index to be in pet food imo and some brands are realizing this and use carbs much lower on the scale (such as chick peas or even sweet potatoes) ) . You need to find out what you can get locally, and then start reading the ingredients in those brands to find one you are happy with. If you're unsure as to what to avoid and what you do want in the food, I can give you a list. That way you can make up your own mind.

#9 sarahberry

sarahberry

Sarah Berry

• Members
  • 1,470 posts
  • Betta Count:1- Edgar Blutbod
  • Total Fish Count:1
  • Statement:RIP Bitsy.

Posted 10 April 2012 - 12:08 PM

With food sensitivities and allergies galore in our furry family, I spent countless hours reading ingredient labels, comparing nutrition analysis and contents of this and that til my eyes crossed. Wheat, chicken, rye, corn, beef, soy, and lamb are all forbidden for the dogs (because one can't have what the other can't!)- and those are just the trouble makers we know of. We also suffer seasonal allergies and the dogs get local honey to help with that, benadryl for monster flares of the itchies. Our male cat has already suffered 2 bouts of UTIs so the cats are on a strict high protein and high moisture diet.

If you have none of these issues to contend with, I'm so happy for you and jealous!

As mentioned previously, www.dogfoodanalysis.com is a good place to compare and contrast foods- I haven't been there in a while, but I think they may also have general pricing available as well? If not, a PetSmartCo website comparison is easy enough.

Our pooches used to be fed Acana Pacifica, which is what Cleo came to us being fed with and was doing reasonably well on. She ate this food exclusively before, and twice the recommended serving size. She had cholesterol deposits in her eyes, and their coats were very greasy from so much salmon oil in their food. We've since switched, 8 or 9 months it's been now maybe, to Blue Buffalo Basics, turkey and potato recipe. Just 3 months into the new food, we noticed the cholesterol deposits were clearing up- one was completely gone, and the other was nearly gone! The cholesterol deposits are entirely gone now. Their coats are no longer greasy, though they do need spring baths! We feed dry for breakfast, wet for dinner- wet food includes the few Blue Buffalo, Merrick, Wellness they can eat, and Nature's Recipe venison.

The cats are jerks and will only eat PEWP for canned food, but for dry they get Blue Buffalo duck wilderness. They really loved the salmon one too, but like with the dog food I thought their coats were greasier with the salmon. Our boy Oliver, who is white, was actually shiny when he ate the salmon food. I'd never seen a shiny white cat until then!

I wouldn't consider myself to be brand loyal except for when it counts. Blue Buffalo makes quality products I know my pets do well on, and that's what matters to me. We don't feed BB exclusively; when we find a canned food with nothing itch-inducing in it we certainly will give it a try, and the cats get a (small) variety of canned foods as well. For dry food though we stick with what we know works, and for us that's BB.

That being said, I **love** BB's new walnut shell cat litter! It's just *so* expensive!

#10 VelvetDragon

VelvetDragon

we build the wall to keep us free

• Administrator
  • 5,871 posts
  • Referred By:haley
  • Statement:I believe -- I believe -- everyday's a good day when you paint

Posted 10 April 2012 - 12:16 PM

Morgan gets Orijen. The cats are on a wet-food only diet, so that's why they don't eat Orijen. I love Orijen.

#11 SquishyBettax4

SquishyBettax4

Alpha Betta

• Members
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 10:11 AM

Well maybe it was a poorly worded question but I am aware of checking ingredients and making sure my dog gets what she needs. I guess I was asking brand more or less because I figured people who are posting here care so much for their bettas that they use the same care for their other animals.

I also am aware at what foods I can get locally so that's another reason I only asked more of a general question.

I will visit that D.F.A site and see what else I can find out there.

#12 Tess

Tess

What in tarnation are you on about now?

• Administrator
  • 9,112 posts
  • Betta Count:Many
  • Referred By:Google
  • Statement:All cruelty springs from weakness. ~ Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Posted 11 April 2012 - 11:51 AM

Another vote for Orijen. Murph used to be on EVO until P&G bought out the entire Natura line, and I couldn't be happier with the switch to Orijen.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq