3 replies to this topic

#1 Arlo

Arlo

Egg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 11:50 AM

I know bacterial boom makes tanks cloudy, but it's so annoying! I'm assuming this is the cause as there have been no major tank changes but adding a betta!

I'm new to owning a tank by myself, and I was wondering if I'm right in thinking that daily 20% water changes will sort this out?

Will adding some shrimp to the tank help at all? I'm planning on getting two more tomorrow, anyway.

Thank you all :)

#2 marko

marko

Alpha Betta

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,002 posts
  • Betta Count:many
  • Total Fish Count:too many

Posted 09 April 2012 - 02:54 PM

bacterial blooms are bad. as in harmful.
is the tank cycled?
if no, than you need to cycle it, and mitigate the symptoms in the meantime.

if you add shrimp, to an uncycled tank they will die.
shrimp eat vegetation (algae, dead leaves, etc) and dead animals; not bacteria. they will not help with the bloom, and if you put them in an uncycled tank, they will die. shrimp are much more sensitive to NH3 than fish.

#3 AnneRiceBowl

AnneRiceBowl

Look Into My Eyes...

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,897 posts
  • Betta Count:1
  • Total Fish Count:1
  • Referred By:bettabelieveit
  • Statement:Always look on the bright side of life.

Posted 09 April 2012 - 06:29 PM

The cloudiness is a sign that beneficial bacteria are growing and are trying to become established. Water changes during this time slow down the process because it takes away what the bacterias need to feed on to grow. If you are doing daily checks on water parameters, you may be seeing low ammonia, high nitrites, and little to no nitrates at this stage. It is always advised that an aquarium be fully cycled before adding fish, snails, shrimp because it's an environment of chemical imbalance and is very toxic and stressful to aquatics. It would be best if you could move your betta to a temporary enclosure while the aquarium is cycling.

#4 Arlo

Arlo

Egg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 01:10 AM

Hm. Tank was already cycled before I added any animals to it.

I assumed it was caused by bacteria because of the fact that I added a fish and it then went cloudy. Some quick googling and talking to my mum, showed that fish can cause cloudiness? I'm new to fish keeping, please forgive my ignorance, I've just never seen a cloudy tank after adding a fish.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq