Eratic-Fish-Finatic

Betta FINatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts
  • Betta Count:2
  • Total Fish Count:30
  • Referred By:Google search engine
  • Statement:Canadian bacon isn't a real thing, here in Canada, it's ham cut from the lower back. Food facts!

Posted 08 April 2012 - 08:38 PM

Just won 3 bids on Aquabid all from one breeder, these will be my first wild bettas that I have kept. The breeder says these are F1s, these are my males of the 3 pairs I have won. Enjoy guys and tell me what you guys think. Each pair will have their own 10 gallon planted tank, the Mahachai pair will have a 20 gallon brackish tank, SG of 1.005-1.006 :)

Male Imbellis, your classic red wash look

Posted Image

Male Smaragdina

Posted Image

Male blue Mahachai, from what I read and heard these guys are the only brackish bettas and are currently a unidentified species. Hopefully I be able to acquire more info here.

Posted Image

Edited by Eratic-Fish-Finatic, 08 April 2012 - 08:43 PM.

#2 LouisaMaeBrown

LouisaMaeBrown

UltimateBettas Veteran

• Elite Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,745 posts
  • Betta Count:Ever changing :)
  • Referred By:internet search
  • Statement:I am NOT addicted!.... okay, maybe I am, a little.

Posted 08 April 2012 - 09:05 PM

Lovely fish. :) I've dealt with that seller in the past. Very nice person.

Mahachai have actually been identified as their own species. They do like salt in their water.

#3 Eratic-Fish-Finatic

Eratic-Fish-Finatic

Betta FINatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts
  • Statement:Canadian bacon isn't a real thing, here in Canada, it's ham cut from the lower back. Food facts!

Posted 08 April 2012 - 09:29 PM

Lovely fish. :) I've dealt with that seller in the past. Very nice person.

Mahachai have actually been identified as their own species. They do like salt in their water.

Yeah, his feed back history is excellent. He's excellent with providing me with info on the wilds aswell. I have a 20 gallon ready for the Mahachai pair once they arrive. The tank is currently filled with just java moss, java fern and a little duck weed. I setup the brackish water with Instant Ocean aquarium salt and the water here in Canada is hard and slightly alkaline which I heard Mahachai thrive in. Is there any links that have a full write up on Mahachai? I can't seem to find any, except from IBC.

#4 majerah

majerah

Wild Betta Tamer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,260 posts
  • Betta Count:lotz and lotz
  • Total Fish Count:27 ish.
  • Statement:"O holy one, cast thy purifying light upon this corrupt soul... Rest in peace, sinners! Judgment!"

Posted 09 April 2012 - 08:26 AM

Ive had the mahachai,they are excelent fish.Mine were not in brackish,and bred just fine They are a little shy at first but once they get to know you the do act alot like splendens.Like all wilds they jump so be prepared for that.

They are beautiful,all three males!Good luck with them.Next try macs!

#5 MidwestBetta

MidwestBetta

KitKat

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Betta Count:5
  • Total Fish Count:0

Posted 09 April 2012 - 11:45 AM

Im as excited as you are for your wilds! im getting in some wilds to! can't wait to see what i get from my supplier.

#6 Arlo

Arlo

Egg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 12:18 PM

Ah! I believe I had my eye on a few of these, but, no space for a second tank and no money for another fish!

Very beautiful fish!

#7 Eratic-Fish-Finatic

Eratic-Fish-Finatic

Betta FINatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 12:54 AM

They are beautiful,all three males!Good luck with them.Next try macs!

Thanks Bev, I was actually going to buy a Mac pair since these are my first wilds that I've kept. I saw a Canadain bid for a breeding pair, but the price was a bit too high for me to afford at the time. In the end I just settled for these 3 pairs, the photos I got from the breeder only show the males, I have yet to see the females. It was funny how that worked out though, origanlly planned to just get one wild to introduce me into the wild scene, but ended up get 6 lol.

#8 majerah

majerah

Wild Betta Tamer

• 2,260 posts
  • Betta Count:lotz and lotz
  • Total Fish Count:27 ish.
  • Statement:"O holy one, cast thy purifying light upon this corrupt soul... Rest in peace, sinners! Judgment!"

Posted 11 April 2012 - 05:59 AM

LOL,six is great,and they are splendens complex which is fun anyhow.Ive wanted some imbellis before but decided if I get anything of the complex again it will be wild splendens.Thats going to be a challenge hahah.Other than that Im working with mouthbrroders.They are fun!Oh i found another little comical mouth brooder.I was watching my pictas this morning.They are fun to watch.They have the additude of splendens in a cute little package hehe.They are a tad aggressive,especially compared to my macs but its just some nipping so not too bad.

Be sure to show us pics of them when they get there.Are they coming from Thailand?or?

#9 Eratic-Fish-Finatic

Eratic-Fish-Finatic

Betta FINatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 07:44 AM

LOL,six is great,and they are splendens complex which is fun anyhow.Ive wanted some imbellis before but decided if I get anything of the complex again it will be wild splendens.Thats going to be a challenge hahah.Other than that Im working with mouthbrroders.They are fun!Oh i found another little comical mouth brooder.I was watching my pictas this morning.They are fun to watch.They have the additude of splendens in a cute little package hehe.They are a tad aggressive,especially compared to my macs but its just some nipping so not too bad.

Be sure to show us pics of them when they get there.Are they coming from Thailand?or?

Cool, yeah mouth brooders are awesome. I wish I had a 1000 gallon just to watch my red arowanas breed when their adults, arowanas are the ultimate mouth brooders lol. I'll post my wilds as soon as I get the packages. The breeder I'm getting my wilds from is located in Malaysia, but he said he'll send them to the Canadian transhippers receivers in Thailand. Where they will get a fresh water change and be fed before getting packed and sent to Canada.

#10 Eratic-Fish-Finatic

Eratic-Fish-Finatic

Betta FINatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 03:30 PM

The past week, I've been hyped up about getting my new wilds and a question came cross my mind. I was just wondering about crossing back some of my HMPKS with my new wilds. Specifically, what the results would be. Most of us know that the majority or all the bettas we current have would have been crossed with wilds at some point in their family tree or even themselves. Is it logical to say, crossing back with wilds will revert them to their original forms or defuse the genes that were used to create the domesticated betta? I'm planning to cross this male with my wild blue mahachai female.

Posted Image

Edited by Eratic-Fish-Finatic, 14 April 2012 - 03:35 PM.

#11 C M

C M

Advocate for the underdogs of pet rescue

• Members
  • 1,347 posts
  • Betta Count:Three
  • Total Fish Count:Three

Posted 15 April 2012 - 10:21 AM

Gorgeous! Can males of these species be kept with other males of their species, or in an inter-species tank of other males? They are so beautiful.

#12 Eratic-Fish-Finatic

Eratic-Fish-Finatic

Betta FINatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 12:35 PM

Gorgeous! Can males of these species be kept with other males of their species, or in an inter-species tank of other males? They are so beautiful.

As far as I know, no they shouldn't. I'm guessing wild males are just like the domestic male splendens in today's pet trade, but then again I'm practically new to the wild type betta scene so I may be wrong lol. I also read that the mahachai are the only brackish bettas. It's suggested that you should just keep a male and female pair together in a aquarium that's 10 gallons or bigger and heavily planted. I think it is possible to house a single wild male in with a few females granted that the tank is 30+ gallons.

Edited by Eratic-Fish-Finatic, 15 April 2012 - 12:38 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq