#1 Meme123

Meme123

Fry

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • Referred By:Old Friend8

Posted 06 April 2012 - 11:22 AM

I know people have shrimp in their tanks and was wondering what benefits they gave and if they are good for planted betta tanks and the same about snails

#2 Maryanne

Maryanne

UltimateBettas Veteran

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,850 posts
  • Betta Count:Enough.
  • Total Fish Count:Many!
  • Referred By:google

Posted 06 April 2012 - 11:31 AM

Shrimp are good for planted tanks as they tend to clean up uneaten food and some can eat decaying plant matter and algaes. Not all shrimp are suited for all tanks though. Be sure to research the particular shrimp you are interested in before getting them. Shrimp like bamboo shrimp require a good water flow in a well developed tank and they grow large, so are not suited for betta tanks. Ghost shrimp are common and can occasionally get along with bettas. You run the risk of the bettas eating the ghost shrimp though. Cherry shrimp are nice to look at but would quickly become a betta snack.

Snails are all over the board. They tend to produce a lot of waste, so using them to clean your tank probably isn't the best. I use nerite snails to keep my algae down in some of my planted tanks, but they pay me back by laying eggs that are impossible to get off all over everything. There are pros and cons to every snail, so it really depends on the tank and how big it is and what you want the snail to do in that tank.

#3 Meme123

Meme123

Fry

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • Referred By:Old Friend8

Posted 06 April 2012 - 12:20 PM

Ok.Well Its gonna be a long while before I actually get them. The females you sent me are getting put into a 20 gallon tank thats going to be a planted sorority tank. currently they are in my 5 gallon tank and i have been watching thm for agression. So far so good. But I am trying to find out what is going to benefit my tank. I know I need to get it up and cycling before I really add anything to it which Is why I was curious about shrimp and snails. I have had ghost shrimp before and boots would play with them and then when they got too big he would kill them. But once They were moved to a bgger tank they were able to avoid him and hide in the decor and survive. Maryanne do you have any pointers on cycling tanks or know a good thread on here I can read?

#4 sde09001

sde09001

Crowntail

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • Betta Count:4
  • Total Fish Count:25

Posted 08 April 2012 - 05:29 AM

As far a shrimp go Maryanne pretty much nailed it all. I've had good luck with Amanos for cleaning algae, but my fiance has had them stop eating algae once they get bigger and just go after fish pellets. I like nerite snails and they seem to be the best, but mine only eat algae off the glass, so the wood and gravel go untouched. They do leave little white eggs all over the place as said before, but I've been able to at least get them off the glass using my finger nail. I've never kept cherries long enough to see how they are at algae control be they've been eaten, and ghost shrimp do nothing in my experience. I had one living with a pair of albis for a while before he started tormenting them and trying to take over their cave. At that point he went in the puffer tank add was never seen again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq