sde09001

Crowntail

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • Betta Count:4
  • Total Fish Count:25

Posted 04 April 2012 - 05:17 AM

So my little spotted mandarin has been getting a little thin lately. She was eating cycopleze eagerly when I first got her and seemed to be happy as could be. Now she's getting thin. I don't know if she's eating as I've only ever actually seen her eat once, bit she was always fat so I assumed she was and I did see her eat cyclopeze at the store before I brought her home. I had a pod population going and I still see them crawling kn the rocks at night so I know she didn't eat all of them. I'm planning on moving her into a breeder box tonight so I can monitor her and try to train her onto some new food. I have micro worms I want to try and some new life specteum pellets. Do you think the microworms will be nutricous enough? Idk why she stopped eating but I'm getting worried about her. Thanks for the help.
  • reedsibe, Grillzige, FARGODUZLA and 2 others like this

#2 Synirr

Synirr

Sanity and happiness are an impossible combination.

• Root Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,904 posts
  • Betta Count:Some
  • Total Fish Count:Lots

Posted 04 April 2012 - 05:22 PM

This is a common problem with mandarins, I am sorry to say. It is usually very hard to get them to take a variety of foods, and many will only accept live food. I would recommend Arcti-Pods if you can find them, I have heard of several people having success with that. Sometimes you can also entice them to eat by placing the food on an macroalgae bed (caulerpa varieites work well) so they can pick through the algae. A mandarin that would eat pellets would be a rare find indeed, I wouldn't even bother attempting to feed prepared foods.

ETA: Oh, and Nutramar Ova would be another good one to try, a surprising number of finicky species go crazy for it.

#3 sde09001

sde09001

Crowntail

• Members
  • 573 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 12:30 PM

Thank Synirr. I've been trying to find the nutramar ova but no where around here sells it. I just bought a fresh batch of pods today from a little mom and pop shop I know well in my home town so I'm hoping it'll help. I've read about the arcti-pods but I thought they were pelagic, and so the mandarins wouldn't go after them. I guess I could be wrong so I'll look into that again. Also are there any small creature that can sift the sand bed but not go after the pods? I'm starting to see the sand getting dirty and siphoning isn't seeming to help much. Here goes nothing. Thanks again.

#4 sde09001

sde09001

Crowntail

• Members
  • 573 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 07:48 AM

Still holding steady. Not getting any fatter but not getting skinnier. Still acting exactly the same as before. Still can't find nutramar ova anywhere around here. The tank is crawling with pods and I have two huge orange amphipods crawling around. I'm stumped how there can still be so many pods and the little guy isn't fattening up again.

#5 Synirr

Synirr

Sanity and happiness are an impossible combination.

• Root Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,904 posts
  • Betta Count:Some
  • Total Fish Count:Lots

Posted 30 April 2012 - 06:08 PM

I'm not sure if the Arcti-Pods are a pelagic species or not, but they are dead and refrigerated, so their tendency in the aquarium is to sink slowly to the bottom. Nerite snails would make a good sand sifter for you :)

Sorry your mandarin is still having trouble - they are a very finicky and difficult fish to keep - but if you are seeing lots of pods, that's a good sign. You might ask local shops if they can order in any of the foods I've mentioned for you, their suppliers may carry it even though they don't normally stock it.

#6 Bradley

Bradley

Old flow, new course

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Betta Count:null
  • Total Fish Count:Too few untill they multiply
  • Referred By:The one called Christopher
  • Statement:I maintain thousands of gallons... I'm turning into a fish.. :o

Posted 01 July 2013 - 05:31 PM

Mine will also eat mysis and spirulina brine. Some people suggest soaking foods like brine in selcon to raise fatty acid and marine lipid content of food. I've had my pair in a 30 gallon for 8 months and feed a mixture of cyclops, ova, rotifers, and mainly spirulina brine and mysis. Usually in smaller potions 2-3 times a day. My females extremely fat and they've now been spiraling to the top after the daylights out. Sometimes slowing the flow down during feeding helps if its not actively pursuing food during feeding. However it is quite common to have them suddenly stop eating. Some people believe its from a some kind of wasting disease specific to mandarins... idk but I've personally had success with my routine. Also apparently ora has been breeding mandarins who will supposedly eat pellets.. I don't really know much more than that tho

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq