Maryanne

UltimateBettas Veteran

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,850 posts
  • Betta Count:Enough.
  • Total Fish Count:Many!
  • Referred By:google

Posted 11 April 2012 - 11:52 AM

The cheapest crestie I've seen was $50. I got my wee hatchling garg for $35 at a reptile show and that was the cheapest I've seen them. Even Petco sells their Cresties for $75.

Shipping is going to be around $35+.

So yeah, upfront cost is a lot :P Especially for the fancy buggers.

#74 Namida

Namida

The Punk Bunny

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts
  • Betta Count:1
  • Total Fish Count:8 and some Shrimp
  • Referred By:A Lady on Ravelry.com
  • Statement:My dad's the "Laptop Fairy"

Posted 11 April 2012 - 12:11 PM

I was expecting $50-$75 not $165! (was counting shipping that time) My goodness! *Snicker* My fish are starting to look "cheap" compared to these prices.

Man.... I need to get a job just so I can buy one. :coverlaff: The reptile expo down this way isn't until June something.... 26th maybe..? I was thinking of going then and looking for a Crested, thanks for letting me know what kinda cash I should have on hand! Wow... I thought if I took $100 I'd have left overs... Guess not. :coverlaff:

#75 Solitarianknight

Solitarianknight

Formerly known as dimidiata

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,253 posts
  • Betta Count:2
  • Total Fish Count:many
  • Referred By:the gravitational force that shrouds UB
  • Statement:luchamos por la liberación de los bettas! Las viva bettas

Posted 11 April 2012 - 12:19 PM

there $20 from my lps, they have babies and juvis. They take great care of them and get their stock from local breeders

#76 ~KK~

~KK~

Kritter Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,396 posts
  • Betta Count:None atm
  • Statement:My life is a zoo, and I love it!

Posted 11 April 2012 - 03:40 PM

Start-up costs ARE expensive. You have to get a proper enclosure, decorations, substrate, food, a thermometer/hydrometer, and the gecko itself. You're going to spend at LEAST $100 by the time you get your crested. Just keep that in mind.

#77 Namida

Namida

The Punk Bunny

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 03:45 PM

I thought the gear would cost the most, I am very aware of that. It was some of the prices for the Geckos themselves.... Wow. lol
I was figurin' on about $155 to get the whole set up ready. Just from the prices I had been seeing. Of course... I hate to pay full price for anything, so I was hoping to go when there's sales.

This is a faaaaar into the future pet it seems. Since my job hunt has been fruitless so far... And I had to pay for dental work... -__-

Edited by Namida, 11 April 2012 - 03:46 PM.

#78 sarahberry

sarahberry

Sarah Berry

• Members
  • 1,470 posts
  • Betta Count:1- Edgar Blutbod
  • Total Fish Count:1
  • Statement:RIP Bitsy.

Posted 12 April 2012 - 07:36 AM

It's definitely pricey, and the cuter and more colorful they are the more they'll cost ya. I was almost tempted by a local selling his gargs and crestie on craigslist- I have learned my lesson, there is no such thing as a "free" pet, and discounted ones I think would be just as bad.

We got our cat Oliver for "free" from a nice lady on CL, who found him roaming the streets. After the neuter, multiple dewormings, and him biting her- which resulted in his quarrantine and an unnecessary intervention from the Department of Health- it would've been cheaper and less stressful to adopt a cat from a shelter. That being said, I do love my Oliver Pickles, who still loves to bite.

With reptiles it's even harder to tell if they're healthy or if they've been well taken care of, often until it's too late. Our fur babies are all rescues, but for my first reptile I'm going to a breeder. Well, I guess she'd be my second- I did have a turtle in middle and high school.

Luckily I got my tank for free from a friend. I was going to put some cichlids in it, but the cost for a nice looking stand that'll hold a 29 gallon tank with water in it was a big deterrent. For the price of just the stand- approx $200- I can get my gecko at the reptile expo ($75), and all the accessories she needs to live a happy and healthy life. Right now we're going for the cheap but suitable enclosure, fake bamboo, a hide or two and some small plants for humidity and climbing... eventually she'll be in a live vivarium, once I can convince the Mrs that bio-substrate is the same as a properly cycled fish tank. :fingerscrossed:

#79 sarahberry

sarahberry

Sarah Berry

• Members
  • 1,470 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 08:22 AM

Here's what could be a perfect option for you once you have the funds, Katelyn! It even comes with a "free" gecko, if you pay the additional $40 shipping for it.

Complete Crestie Set Up

#80 Namida

Namida

The Punk Bunny

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 08:30 AM

That is so cool! lol I had no idea you could get a set up and 'free' Gecko from anywhere 'sep CL. Locally there are two 'free' Crested Geckos when you buy the tanks.

That you, Sarah! I will be favoriting that site.

#81 sarahberry

sarahberry

Sarah Berry

• Members
  • 1,470 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:22 AM

No problemo! I've been hovering around that site for a month-ish now, and finally got paid today and ordered all my stuff! :chicken: :cloud9: They even have a wish-list option, so I had everything all wish-listed and ready to add to my cart and purchase!

Now I have to wait for it all to come in, get delivered to my mother in law's house (we have package stealing teenage hoodlums in our neighborhood) and get everything set up! In the meantime, I guess, I can work on getting all the hard water stains off the aquarium! :coverlaff:

OMG the reptile expo is a month and a week from today! 37 days?! YEAH!!

No, I'm not excited. :lolsign:

#82 WigglePuppy

WigglePuppy

Alpha Betta

• Members
  • 1,188 posts
  • Betta Count:5
  • Total Fish Count:enough....I think

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:28 AM

When it comes to the price of the gecko itself, shop around (if you can stand to wait a while for a gecko that is, lol) You can find "rejects" from breeders for a good price, sometimes around the $35 mark, probably no more than about $50. Nothing wrong with them, they are just boring to that particular breeder.

I bred them for a two years. It cost me $500 for a trio of dalmatians, and I sold babies for $50 (more if I kept them longer and they were larger at sale time). I've bred a lot of species over the years, from rodents to birds to fish to reptiles, and always specialized in setting up new pet owners with their first pets, so kept my prices low. You'll be able to find those kind of prices too but it might take a little waiting. Also try your local classifieds to see if someone is offloading an unwanted gecko for a great price - just check the animal over to see that it IS healthy, and ask about what they were feeding it and how often.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq