• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts
  • Betta Count:1
  • Total Fish Count:8 and some Shrimp
  • Referred By:A Lady on Ravelry.com
  • Statement:My dad's the "Laptop Fairy"

Posted 03 April 2012 - 06:05 PM

Okay! I said I had lizard envy because my sister would never let me keep the bugs to feed a lizard, so 'Helpful Dimi' told me that Crested Geckos didn't need bugs.

And as I've spoken about it to my roommate/sister and our mom, neither has said no...

YAY! I'm so excited! I want a Crestie and as long as I can get the setup and everything ready I'm pretty sure I can get one! I've been talking to Dimi (and blaming him for this) and I've read Laura Lee's Website, Gecko's in Tails, care sheet but what I could really use is more advise and a shopping list, with prices would be great!

Btw, I don't think I want to mess with live plants right now... Maybe in the future but not now.

So what do I need/need to know about Cresties?

#2 ~KK~

~KK~

Kritter Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,396 posts
  • Betta Count:None atm
  • Statement:My life is a zoo, and I love it!

Posted 03 April 2012 - 06:46 PM

That's they're awesome! I've had Zima for a year now and she's super cool to look at and handle. She's also really popular with visitors ;).

Do you know where you want to get your crestie from yet? That will cause the cost to vary quite a bit.

Also, it depends on what age you are looking at. I recommend a subadult or adult for first time gecko keepers just because they aren't as finicky and delicate.

As for a shopping list, here's what mine was, which was for an adult...it's a bit different for youngin's:

Tank/cage: I purchased an acrylic and aluminum cage for $40 from Pangea Reptiles, but I don't see it on their website anymore :/ It measures about 18 gallons. You can also use a 20 gal turned on end so there's more height.

Depending on the age, you can also use a kritter keeper, 5 gal, 10 gal, or bins that are converted into cages

Fake vines, plants, a hideout, grapevine/mopani/cork to climb on

Bowl for water and food. Things like this are good: http://www.pangearep...ecko-ledge.html

Paper towels are good for substrate

A water bottle for misting

A digital thermometer/hydrometer

chlorohexidine is good for cleaning

A container like a deli cup to put the gecko when you clean

Food: Repashy Crested Gecko Diet, stored in the fridge. My one gecko takes FOREVER to go through a 5.3oz jar, so you don't need much

That's all I can think of right now. Other than that do you have any specific questions?

Here's my cage, it's since been filled with MORE fake plants, but my camera is broken so I can't take a pic...but it basically looks like a jungle in there :P
Posted Image

Edit: Just kidding, my phone did a pretty good job!
Posted Image
Posted Image
Can you find the Zima?
Posted Image

and Zima
Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by ~KK~, 03 April 2012 - 07:01 PM.

#3 Namida

Namida

The Punk Bunny

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 07:55 PM

I'm not sure where I'd be getting him or her from... I haven't looked up local breeders yet, but there is a petco just over there, *points* so I Could buy from them, though I'd be worried that the babies over there might not be that healthy. The employees aren't... Well their bird care is perfect(!) but the other critters not so much.

I'm looking to get a 20gL because that would fit on my side table which is like the only clear spot in my room now. :coverlaff: But if I got a baby I have a 5.5g and 10g that are sitting in my room empty, so I could set that up for the youngin' and then work my way up.
My mom told me to ask on Freecycle for a 20gL so I did, but I'm also thinking that when Petco has it's $1 a gallon sale I could score a 20 then! I believe that sale is coming up soon...

I love your set up! And your little girl!
Did you get her tailless? And where did you get her, breeder, petstore, adoption?

Are they very noisy at night? Because like I said the tank would go between our beds (sister's and mine) on my side table. If it's no louder then my filter and sponge filter then I'm good!

#4 ~KK~

~KK~

Kritter Keeper

• Members
  • 1,396 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 08:15 PM

I got her without a tail from a breeder. She was a previous breeding female, and her cat managed to get into the gecko room and killed all the other females in the enclosure except for Zima, and she escaped by dropping her tail. It's super common for them to drop their tails.

They are not very loud at night, but they do jump around and sometimes can bump around in the cage. For example I heard Zima SMACK against the side of her cage the other night, haha!

#5 Solitarianknight

Solitarianknight

Formerly known as dimidiata

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,255 posts
  • Betta Count:2
  • Total Fish Count:many
  • Referred By:the gravitational force that shrouds UB
  • Statement:luchamos por la liberación de los bettas! Las viva bettas

Posted 03 April 2012 - 08:21 PM

See, i told you a thread would be awesome. I cant answer all the questions XD. I was told that cresties were no more likely to drop their tails then leos, of course im skeptical because i think MOST of the cresteds ive seen are frog bums :P. Imo, their just as if not more cute. Zima is 100% adorable.

#6 Namida

Namida

The Punk Bunny

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 08:29 PM

Haha! Oh my... Smacking into the wall? lol

That's so sad about the cat! I'm sure Zima's happy with you spoiling her.

Is there a brand of digital thermometer/hydrometer that I should look for? Or one I should avoid?

#7 ~KK~

~KK~

Kritter Keeper

• Members
  • 1,396 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 08:39 PM

Yeah they leap around their cage and I guess she was a little too excited, LOL.

One thing to keep in mind is that they are nocturnal and sleep/hide during the day. When I want to handle Zima I keep the light off for about an hour and then go turn it on so I can get her because she's out and about :P

this is the one I use and it is fantastic. http://www.ebay.com/...c#ht_2190wt_907

#8 Namida

Namida

The Punk Bunny

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 09:02 PM

Dimi, I was just gonna keep asking you questions until you stopped answering or got annoyed with me. :coverlaff:

My family (to my mom's dismay) does everything in the dark. :coverlaff: I'm pretty sure this Gecko would be out and about and played with by everyone. lol She or He will be spoiled for sure.

This is an odd question, but what does healthy gecko poop look like? lol When looking for a healthy Gecko what do you look for? If I went to the Petco (possibly the Petsmart) what should I look for in the cage/tank?
Same questions for if I were to look for a local breeder.

#9 ~KK~

~KK~

Kritter Keeper

• Members
  • 1,396 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 09:43 PM

I'll tell you right now the best place to get a gecko is a Reptile Expo! If you have any scheduled in your area definitely check it out.

Healthy gecko poop looks like a brown blob with a small amount of white (urates). A healthy gecko will look filled out, bright eyes, hydrated, and have will be eating well. It's best to get one from a breeder because then you're sure they've been eating CGD well and that they haven't been eating baby food. I wouldn't get one from Petco myself, but you want to make sure they're feeding CGD, and all of the above things. Look at pics of healthy geckos and you'll know what to look for.

#10 Susurro

Susurro

Loves bettas more than people

• 4,745 posts
  • Total Fish Count:1
  • Referred By:The Interweb
  • Statement:"The mind is everything. What you think you become." - Siddhartha Gautama

Posted 03 April 2012 - 11:19 PM

Yes, I would not get one from a chain store. Just no. You're more likely to get a sick gecko and sick herps are not cheap.

Another question, do you have a vet that is knowledgable about herps? You do not want to take a sick herp to a dog/cat vet, you're likely to end up with a dead gecko. Also, do you have the resources to cover a $200+ vet bill? These are very important things to consider since they're vital to your gecko if an emergency arises. Often herps don't show signs of illness until really sick and then you've got no time to be scrambling to find a vet and money to pay for it.

I love my two babies, I got them almost two years ago and I love them to pieces. I need to post pics of how big they've gotten!

#11 Solitarianknight

Solitarianknight

Formerly known as dimidiata

• Members
  • 4,255 posts
  • Betta Count:2
  • Total Fish Count:many
  • Referred By:the gravitational force that shrouds UB
  • Statement:luchamos por la liberación de los bettas! Las viva bettas

Posted 04 April 2012 - 04:34 AM

A healthy poop should be solid/semi solid browns, white whites and not too runny or dry. I also might add to your list if you dont already have one, a scale that can measure in grams. Its not extremley important, but it can be nice if you have a juvi gecko so you can monitor weight gain/loss.

#12 sarahberry

sarahberry

Sarah Berry

• Members
  • 1,470 posts
  • Betta Count:1- Edgar Blutbod
  • Total Fish Count:1
  • Statement:RIP Bitsy.

Posted 04 April 2012 - 09:45 AM

Helpful Gecko forums I've found doing my own research- there are also classifieds on a couple of them, lots of cresties around for sale right now! :thumbup:

www.geckosunlimited.com

www.pangeareptile.com/forums

www.geckoforums.net

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq