• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Betta Count:1
  • Total Fish Count:2
  • Referred By:Google.com
  • Statement:"Believe in yourself and never give up."

Posted 02 April 2012 - 05:49 PM

A few days ago I brought home a few Mollies, 2 of which were girls. One of the females was slightly larger, but was still normal looking compared to her previous tank mates. That one is a gold molly and I am kinda excited if she is pregnant. I'm not sure if I have identified the gravid spot correctly or mistaken it for some dark internal organ. Her behavior is basically very active, usually zipping around the aquarium and nudging at my other female. She sucks on some algae since I am waiting for the food to come in the next couple of day. :Last night she did drop some whitish-stringy feces and I returned to the petshop today to discuss it. They said it might have something to do with the pregnancy or just being stressed from the new place...so I am at a loss as a first-time breeder. Is she ready yet? Anyways sorry for the bad quality, hope it's alright.

http://i1119.photobucket.com/albums/.../Photo0721.jpg

http://i1119.photobucket.com/albums/.../Photo0726.jpg

http://i1119.photobu....l/100_1298.jpg

#2 Valentina

Valentina

Valentina

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts
  • Betta Count:3-soon-to-be-6 O.o
  • Total Fish Count:6

Posted 02 April 2012 - 07:42 PM

I don't think the pics worked, or at least they aren't showing up on my screen =/ Maybe try tinypic.com

A few days ago I brought home a few Mollies, 2 of which were girls. One of the females was slightly larger, but was still normal looking compared to her previous tank mates. That one is a gold molly and I am kinda excited if she is pregnant. I'm not sure if I have identified the gravid spot correctly or mistaken it for some dark internal organ. Her behavior is basically very active, usually zipping around the aquarium and nudging at my other female. She sucks on some algae since I am waiting for the food to come in the next couple of day. :Last night she did drop some whitish-stringy feces and I returned to the petshop today to discuss it. They said it might have something to do with the pregnancy or just being stressed from the new place...so I am at a loss as a first-time breeder. Is she ready yet? Anyways sorry for the bad quality, hope it's alright.

http://i1119.photobucket.com/albums/.../Photo0721.jpg

http://i1119.photobucket.com/albums/.../Photo0726.jpg

http://i1119.photobu....l/100_1298.jpg

#3 Optimusprimesgurl

Optimusprimesgurl

Wiggler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 08:43 PM

Oh my gosh! Thanks for letting me know. Hopefully this will work. :)

http://s1119.photobu...nt=100_1298.jpg

http://i1119.photobu...s/Photo0721.jpg

#4 Optimusprimesgurl

Optimusprimesgurl

Wiggler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 08:57 PM

Here they are just in case:
Posted Image

Posted Image

#5 Optimusprimesgurl

Optimusprimesgurl

Wiggler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 06:11 PM

Any ideas?

#6 Rick FL

Rick FL

Veiltail

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 10:20 AM

How many Mollies did you get? From what Ive heard, when buying live-bearers you are practically guaranteed pregnant females. I never really bothered looking for a gravid spot, I just pay attention to size. Here's an old pic of one of my pregnant females.
Posted Image

I noticed that when they are ready to drop their fry, then tend to hide more. If the other fish notice she is giving birth they will nip at her trying to eat the fry as they are born. This can stress her out. I even had one female who would drop a fry and turn around to try to eat them herself.

My experience with fish store fish is that they are usually sick with something. I dont recall seeing white stingy poop on any of my pregnant females. More research or another opinion may be needed for this one.

Have fun with the Mollies and be prepared to see a lot of fry.

#7 LilGreenPuffer

LilGreenPuffer

Yeah, I'm "that girl with the fish."

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,006 posts
  • Total Fish Count:4
  • Referred By:Google
  • Statement:My mission is to make your day a little more surreal.

Posted 05 April 2012 - 10:37 AM

Stringy white poo is a clear sign of internal parasites. You'll need to purchase a dewormer and treat them.

#8 Rick FL

Rick FL

Veiltail

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 11:43 AM

Stringy white poo is a clear sign of internal parasites. You'll need to purchase a dewormer and treat them.

I second this opinion. This is why I mentioned "sick with something". I haven't dealt with stringy white waste ever since I first got my fish and treated them for worms. I haven't seen that ever since. Thanks LGP :thumbup:

#9 Optimusprimesgurl

Optimusprimesgurl

Wiggler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 03:19 PM

I was thinking that, but it hasn't happened since. It was more clear I guess but I'm not sure. If it is worms I'm hesitant to medicate because all the medication I have tried have either been unsuccessful or killed my fish, either way resulting a dead friend. My last time I did plenty of research for and it just killed my fish even with the prescribed amount. If I lose these fish it will be my last batch and I don't want to risk it. They're swimming around fine right now, I have varied their food and there have been no signs since then of this strange feces. I consulted with the pet store after seeing it and they said it was most likely stress related since it had been only 2 days. The tanks there are very well kept. But, I previously asked if the photo displayed a pregnant female and I've only heard about the strange poo...so uh I guess I'd just like to know that really.

#10 LilGreenPuffer

LilGreenPuffer

Yeah, I'm "that girl with the fish."

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,006 posts
  • Total Fish Count:4
  • Referred By:Google
  • Statement:My mission is to make your day a little more surreal.

Posted 05 April 2012 - 04:08 PM

She doesn't look pregnant yet to me.

If your fish died while you were properly using a proven medication, your fish must have already been extremely weak or dying. Worm medicines are generally very mild and safe. In fact, they're the only medication that I recommend using preventatively without seeing any symptoms, since they're normally so safe.

Edited by LilGreenPuffer, 05 April 2012 - 04:09 PM.

#11 Rick FL

Rick FL

Veiltail

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 04:10 PM

First picture looks like a possibility. Second picture looks like a no.

Considering we dont have a reference point for your fish it is hard to say for certain. Does she look like she is gaining weight excessively compared to your other fish? You would really be the best judge.

If you look at my picture above, the pregnant female has a noticeably larger belly than the other 2.

How many Mollies did you get?

#12 amethyst

amethyst

Alpha Betta

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,137 posts
  • Total Fish Count:An ever-changing number
  • Referred By:Carmenellie
  • Statement:All is well, all is well, and all manner of things is well.

Posted 05 April 2012 - 06:50 PM

As was said in a previous post, many female livebearers are pregnant when you buy them, unless they have been kept strictly separate from males of the same species both at the store and before. If the tank at the store had both males and females, she's probably pregnant. And dark area in the first picture does look like the gravid spot to me.

However, if we're right, she's not very pregnant yet. Her belly will get huge, the gravid spot will get larger and darker, and if you look closely you may even see silvery glimmers of baby eyes through her skin the last day or so before she gives birth. She'll look like she's gonna pop, and may look squared off at the front and back of her belly from side profile. She will also, as somebody said earlier, be less active, hide out among plants, etc. She will probably eat less than usual for at least several hours if not a day before she drops, so if you've got her separated from others before then, you may notice that.

If you are wanting to raise the fry, you should either move her to a breeding tank or remove other adults from the tank she's in before you see fry. If you wait until you see fry, you will probably lose some, but should still be able to rescue most of them. If she's in a breeding tank, moving her out will probably be easier than moving all the babies out, unless you want to count the fry. I've done that by moving them a few at a time and keeping a tally on paper till I get them all moved. Otherwise it's practically impossible, because they are so small and move so fast.

As to the possibility of worms - it can complicate the picture. I've had some livebearers I was sure were pregnant but didn't drop, so I treated for worms and they were fine. I've had others that I thought had worms, and was treating, and they've dropped part way through the treatment. And, of course, one doesn't rule out the other. She may have worms and be pregnant both. She could also be constipated. Have you seen her poo since the stringy white stuff, and did it look normal? As to treatment - I've had fish die when treating as carefully as possible, and other fish in the same tank with the same sx come out fine. It's very frustrating. One option might be to feed antiparasitic food (Jungle makes some) mixed with garlic and blanced peas to the whole tank for a couple of days and see if anything changes. If it's just constipation, the peas should take care of it. If it's worms, the garlic and antiparasitic food should help, and the peas will help them pass dead parasites.

Good luck with them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq