9 replies to this topic

#1 1fish2fish

1fish2fish

Halfmoon Maniac

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,324 posts
  • Betta Count:Lots
  • Statement:Hey.. you!! Join the Eastern Betta Society.

Posted 02 April 2012 - 04:45 PM

After a LONG dry spell I've finally gotten a good spawn. They're about 2.5 weeks old now and growing nicely. I'm hoping to get some pastels and light colors. I originally wanted fish to show but I think they'll be too young for any spring shows and too old for any fall :-/

Here's the male. I call him Mr. Peaches (I call the fry "The Peach Fuzz" LOL). Sorry bout the crappy photos, I didn't get a chance to get more before he went in the spawn tub.
Posted Image

Here's what he looks like with flash. Under natural light he's all orange.
Posted Image

Momma comes from Martinismommy. I call her Sassy Girl (and she is!). Her parents where dark multis so this spawn is going to be a grab bag color-wise.
Posted Image

#2 Meme123

Meme123

Fry

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • Referred By:Old Friend8

Posted 03 April 2012 - 07:33 PM

Congrats!

#3 Maryanne

Maryanne

UltimateBettas Veteran

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,850 posts
  • Betta Count:Enough.
  • Total Fish Count:Many!
  • Referred By:google

Posted 03 April 2012 - 07:42 PM

Congrats on the spawn :) I wouldn't expect many light bodied fish from that pairing though. Or oranges for that matter. The female is pale because of the marble gene and may eventually marble out to a solid dark fish. Any light bodied fish in the spawn would be pale for this same reason. Since your male is orange and your female probably does not carry orange, expect red/blues for the most part with marbles and potentially butterflies thrown in.

#4 marko

marko

Alpha Betta

• Members
  • 1,002 posts
  • Betta Count:many
  • Total Fish Count:too many

Posted 03 April 2012 - 07:48 PM

if you want oranges you can inbreed offspring and get 25% orange, or linebreed (backcross) female offspring to their sire to get 50% orange.

#5 Maryanne

Maryanne

UltimateBettas Veteran

• 8,850 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 05:35 AM

if you want oranges you can inbreed offspring and get 25% orange, or linebreed (backcross) female offspring to their sire to get 50% orange.

That would give you orange, but they won't be mostly orange like the father :)

If your goal is to work with light bodied fish or to make more like the dad, your best bet would be to work with cambodians. That marble gene is a tricky thing. I crossed two black/green fish not knowing their background was marble, and I got a LOT of fish just like your female there. I also got a lot of red even though the parents didn't show any red.

#6 1fish2fish

1fish2fish

Halfmoon Maniac

• Members
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 11:56 AM

I'm pretty sure the male has marble genes also so I'm expecting a wide variety of multicolors and marbles, and yes mostly blue/reds and butterflies since I think both of the dam's parents were butterflies. I'm just hoping for at least one or two light colored fish to cross back to him. My main goal as always is good form and fins, color is really an after thought but I'm excited to see what it gets. I've seen a couple of 3 month old fish he produced from his last owner and the dorsals are excellent which gives me good hope for my kids.

The next cross I'm doing with this male is to a red female that is from a red line (although I only know her heritage back to her grandparents which were an imported pair). Is that going to change my potential for reds, yellows, oranges any?? I'm not looking to start any color lines right now... just trying to expand my knowledge of color genetics and see what I get from various crosses.

#7 Maryanne

Maryanne

UltimateBettas Veteran

• 8,850 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 01:46 PM

For the most part, orange acts as recessive to red. If you use a red female that doesn't carry orange, then cross two of their kids, you'll get orange again. If she carries orange, then you'll get red and orange kids.

I found that crossing red that carries orange x orange you'll get a nicer pumpkiny orange than if you cross orange and orange as it seemed to wash out. This is just anecdotal information from spawns I've done though :)

#8 1fish2fish

1fish2fish

Halfmoon Maniac

• Members
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 05:47 PM

I've read that somewhere as well, crossing to red gives you a deeper orange. It would be nice to get reds and oranges since all of my previous goals were centered around getting blues and MG mostly. But after an EXTREMELY bad spawn year last year I'm just happy to have babies at all!

#9 1fish2fish

1fish2fish

Halfmoon Maniac

• Members
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 09:48 AM

These kids are growing very slow... they just didn't take to the frozen BBS and frozen daphnia like my past spawns have.. I finally gave up and started hatching live BBS for them. The biggest ones are taking NLS grow like champs but the majority are still being picky. I wish I had a culture of grindal worms to feed them. I still have about 30 though and their colors are coming in.

I have a lot of butterflies (not surprising since their grandfather is Martinismommy's BOS BF male). Most of them are still light bodied but have red patches coming in on their heads and fins. No blue so far. My biggest guy "Chunker" looks like he's gonna be my yellow BF marble I was hoping for.

#10 nochoramet

nochoramet

Wiggler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 06:57 PM

Can't wait to see them a little bit older! :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq