bounduli

Egg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  • Referred By:Internet

Posted 31 March 2012 - 05:48 PM

Hello members!
I got very busy with my studies and work, so I've been missed out lately.

The thing I'm facing right now is, I'm having problems with white algae. they are slimy and sometimes it looks like spider web in my aquarium. The first day it appeared on my fish decoration, I immediately took it off and cleaned it with a sponge scrubber [the scrubber is only used for my aquarium]. And I changed 30% water. but then the next day when I came back home, the whole aquarium looked like it was snowing. My plastic plants, heater, filter everything turned white!!! I took out the Betta and my two ghost shrimps and put it on another safer fish bowl with new water. and after a day one of the shrimps died [maybe for no reason, I don't know!] . But the Betta is fine and healthy.

My question is how can I get rid of these? I'm doing the hot water treatment in those affected decorations,plants and my aquarium. I will scrub out those as well. but I'm not sure if that's enough to kill the algaes. I don't wanna bleach everything right now as my newly bought decoration colors will go away. and what could be the reason? is it because I turn on the aquarium light a lot?

Need Help! :fish:

#2 Strick

Strick

Resident Lothario

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,895 posts
  • Betta Count:1, for now...
  • Total Fish Count:30+

Posted 01 April 2012 - 05:30 AM

I've never heard of white algae. Can you get a nice, clear picture? Or maybe find a pic on the internet that looks like what you're seeing?

If your tank is new, or if you have recently added something (especially driftwood), then it could just be a harmless fungus...

#3 pLutorium

pLutorium

Fry

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • Betta Count:2
  • Total Fish Count:2
  • Referred By:Peter, NeroX

Posted 01 April 2012 - 07:53 AM

I've recently had this problem too! In fact, I was about to make a post on it just a few days ago. For mine, it was slimy, and wispy looking almost like fur, or hair. It grew on all of my decorations, the gravel, everything! I had to do a couple of 100% water changes because it would just film over everything in the tank. I did a 100% water change a few days ago, and to my surprise it hasn't come back. Yet, anyway.

The only thing I can recommend is to soak your decorations in really hot water after giving them an extremely good scrub-down (with hot water). Even though I did this with my previous water changes, this algae (or perhaps a fungus? No idea what it is) would grow back. I carried out the same procedure with my most recent water change and it has not appeared!

#4 PeachesMarie

PeachesMarie

Resident Whovian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • Total Fish Count:28 fish and some inverts
  • Referred By:google
  • Statement:The whole point of swearin' is that it ain't appropriate.

Posted 01 April 2012 - 04:14 PM

I'm with Strick. I had what sounds like the same thing happen when I added driftwood to my tanks, every one of them, but that was the fungus he mentioned. It went away with time and water changes.

#5 marko

marko

Alpha Betta

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,002 posts
  • Betta Count:many
  • Total Fish Count:too many

Posted 01 April 2012 - 05:49 PM

sounds like typical DW fungus. you hear about it all the time on TPT forum where there are more people who use fresh driftwood.
it will exhaust its food supply soon and then die.

#6 bounduli

bounduli

Egg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  • Referred By:Internet

Posted 12 April 2012 - 10:47 PM

I still don't know if it's my new aquarium or i'm putting too much food in there and that's the cause? I usually remove the leftovers soon enough they are done with eating. and I don't know what's making it ..i'm tired of changing water already. I put them on a different bowl for several days and surprisingly I didn't see any white algae or fungus[whatever you name it]. so I'm not sure if it's the aquarium or my filter is too weak to suck in the waste or what's causing the trouble I don't know.
I'll keep changing the water. I actually changed 100% water just two days ago and the white stuff is still growing, I can see a layer of it already. Done with scrubbing and hot water process, will keep continue doing it I suppose for don't know how long!!! I just hope my fish don't get sick :fingerscrossed:

Thanks a lot guys for your sweet responses. Means a lot.

-Bounduli

#7 pLutorium

pLutorium

Fry

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • Total Fish Count:2
  • Referred By:Peter, NeroX

Posted 16 April 2012 - 06:10 AM

If it's anything like I had, it will hopefully go away within a couple of weeks. Just keep doing your 100% changes (I know how annoying it is, especially if it's a 5+gal...). I don't think it's harmful to the fish, but I definitely wouldn't keep him sitting in the polluted water. My betta did not react differently when it was there... It was just not nice to see him in that environment. I know mine wasn't from food because I directly feed my fish from my hand... unless it is bloodworms lol.

If you think it may be the filter/waste, perhaps you could look into getting some waste control? My boyfriend uses it for his betta and has never had a cloudy aquarium.. even when the water should have been at least partially changed. o_O

Good luck! Keep us updated. :fingerscrossed:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq