UltimateBettas Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,435 posts
  • Betta Count:2
  • Total Fish Count:2
  • Referred By:fnser

Posted 29 March 2012 - 12:08 PM

Well, for some reason I cannot seem to keep bettas at the moment =/ My copper marble HMPK was fine without a heater for nearly 2 years, finally got one and he died. Got a female vt, she died(no signs of disease.) Got a gorgeous brick red guy to replace her after I emptied and changed décor in the tank(didn't wash it out, but let it dry almost totally) and he was gone in less than a week :( No signs of disease on any but the red guy who got columnaris on day 4 and died before I left to get meds(*sighs*) and I'd think that if it was problem with the heater my shrimp/snails would be gone. No ammonia/nitrite/nitrate(I've never been able to get a nitrate reading in my planted tanks, which interestingly enough my LFS that also uses liquid tests confirms. fast growing stems FTW)

So I'm giving up on bettas for the moment. I've got a fancy goldfish tank now and am thinking, at the moment, that I could use the 10 as a plant growout tank so I could grow some of my own food for them. I can get free duckweed all summer at one of the local garden stores(and plan to use that, but NOT in my growout tank XD) and if I can get anacharis to grow well, I should be good, but I'm wondering what some good plants to try would be, and possibly what sort of equipment would work for it. I know anacharis(once I take out the heater) should be fine, ditto for water sprite, if I can find some. Right now, the tank is flourite bottomed, has an egg crate top and has 2 24" T5NO lights on it(which surprisingly don't look all that bright. They'll grow wisteria, though. I had them on my old 20 long and he wisteria seemed to think that the tank was Ceiling Cat's Land.) Also, should I take out my old flourite and replace it? The columnaris was the only disease I saw in there at all, but I might have missed something. I've still got a lot of flourite from the 20, probably enough to cover the bottom. I'd be keeping the snails and shrimp, though, that were in there. Maybe a vinegar wipedown for the walls of the tank?

Any ideas?

Edited by Gilraen Took, 29 March 2012 - 12:12 PM.

#2 marko

marko

Alpha Betta

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,002 posts
  • Betta Count:many
  • Total Fish Count:too many

Posted 29 March 2012 - 01:20 PM

if you really want to get the most biomass in the least amount of time, grow the plants emersed. most aquatic plants arent aquatic year-round in nature. but start the growing season in water or very marsh soil and grow up out of the water and into open air. the benefits of emersed include: no algae the plants (though goldfish dont care), way less light is needed, and CO2 is higher then it could ever be in a tank (even in setups with pressurized CO2, it is only boosted up to 35ppm, thats a difference of a factor of 10^4 with the CO2 in the atmosphere). all you need to do is get smallish cheap platic pots, fill with miracle grow, and put them in the empty tank. add water to almost cover the surface of the soil, and turn on the lights. you can even keep them on 24/7, since plants dont need any night except to signal when to flower and you are just looking for vegetative growth. if the plants leaves start drying from the edges then your humidity is too low, cover the top of the tank with cellophane and poke holes.

#3 majerah

majerah

Wild Betta Tamer

• 2,260 posts
  • Betta Count:lotz and lotz
  • Total Fish Count:27 ish.
  • Statement:"O holy one, cast thy purifying light upon this corrupt soul... Rest in peace, sinners! Judgment!"

Posted 05 April 2012 - 11:18 AM

Agreed,Emersed is a good way to get alot of growth.

#4 Gilraen Took

Gilraen Took

UltimateBettas Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,435 posts
  • Betta Count:2
  • Total Fish Count:2
  • Referred By:fnser

Posted 05 April 2012 - 07:22 PM

The only problem is that the anacharis can't be grown emersed(to the best of my knowledge.) Then again it isn't growing(nor is the current batch being munched that I can tell) in the 30, and it sits about 8" or so under the light. Hm. No other ideas of plants they might enjoy? Or does anyone know(since I'm getting some next week) if riccia will grow emersed? I could always leave the water just over the top of my existing substrate and let it get the bottom soaked if nothing else.

#5 marko

marko

Alpha Betta

• Members
  • 1,002 posts
  • Betta Count:many
  • Total Fish Count:too many

Posted 05 April 2012 - 09:36 PM

it cant, but riccia can be grown emmersed.
so can all the hygros, and nesseas, and rotalas, and ludwigas, and limnophilas.

#6 majerah

majerah

Wild Betta Tamer

• 2,260 posts
  • Betta Count:lotz and lotz
  • Total Fish Count:27 ish.
  • Statement:"O holy one, cast thy purifying light upon this corrupt soul... Rest in peace, sinners! Judgment!"

Posted 08 April 2012 - 01:55 PM

Hygrophila diofformis(wisteria) looks really neat emersed.I currently have an escapee in my 55 gallon.Its about oh lets say six to eight inches tall now?lolI was thinking of seeing if I could talk it into flowering(mind you its not enclosed with any humidity its just there,lol)or trying to grow some of my hybrid ludwigia or maybe my rotala rotundifolia emersed....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq