Halfmoon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 763 posts
  • Betta Count:20+
  • Total Fish Count:LOL
  • Referred By:Google/Facebook

Posted 28 March 2012 - 05:20 PM

Yesterday a friend sent me a message through facebook aking if I had room for any guppies. Since I had some empty tanks (things have been changing here!) I agreed to take some in. She said hers were breeding too heavily and her tank was way overstocked. She broght me a mason jar full of them.

There were more than I expected so I ended up putting them in my 20 high (no other fish)for the time being.

They look a bit thin, most are nipped up and two are pretty deformed. Here's a picture of one:

Posted Image

Posted Image

There is another that looks like this one but it's a fry, quite a bit smaller yet.

So far tonite Ive had crappy luck working with my tanks- I started to vacuum one out and the hose came out of the bucket so I have fishPEWP carpet that Im not so happy about. I thought I'd take a break to post a picture of this one though. Im going to seperate the two deformed ones out of the tank since I think they are females. No breeding from them!

What would cause this deformity? Genetics and/or habitat? I honestly dont know what size tank they came out of or anything about their previous care so I cant give any insight about that.

I guess once I get the carpet issue resolved I'll work on sorting the males from females as best as I can in order to prevent more fry in general. I'm just curious about how this deformity came about though.

#2 WigglePuppy

WigglePuppy

Alpha Betta

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts
  • Betta Count:4
  • Total Fish Count:enough....I think

Posted 28 March 2012 - 05:31 PM

You find these wonky guppies in every mixed scoop of them, it's almost always just a deformity from birth. A lot of them get around surprisingly well despite it.

#3 Stars

Stars

Sushi is delicious.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,235 posts
  • Betta Count:Hamlet
  • Total Fish Count:1
  • Referred By:Aquarank
  • Statement:I see no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil.

Posted 28 March 2012 - 05:33 PM

Bent spines are common in guppies, most of the times its b/c there is too much inbreeding.
You want to make sure that female does not breed at all and contribute to the gene pool. :/ She most likely won't be able to give birth properly anyways.

I had seen fish in "U" shapes, "L" shapes and, the one like yours, a "S" shape. Its pretty sad but if they manage to mature, they can probably survive fine.

#4 Solitarianknight

Solitarianknight

Formerly known as dimidiata

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,255 posts
  • Betta Count:2
  • Total Fish Count:many
  • Referred By:the gravitational force that shrouds UB
  • Statement:luchamos por la liberación de los bettas! Las viva bettas

Posted 28 March 2012 - 08:21 PM

As cruel as it may sound, if you plan to let em breed id separate the deformed fry/adults. If they drop anything culling wouldn't hurt. Just so the genetics don't get around. The fish themselves though are normally fine, just wouldn't want a bunch of bent fish. This is just my opinion though, i dont want to sound forceful.

#5 amethyst

amethyst

Alpha Betta

• Members
  • 1,160 posts
  • Betta Count:0
  • Total Fish Count:An ever-changing number
  • Referred By:Carmenellie
  • Statement:All is well, all is well, and all manner of things is well.

Posted 28 March 2012 - 09:36 PM

I have had a few platys born with bent spines, S shaped from the top and/or back curving up or down from the side, but in the hundreds of guppies I've raised, I've never seen any born with deformed spines. May be because I try to prevent inbreeding as much as possible. I rarely keep both males and females from the same drops, and only occasionally keep males whose mothers or females whose whose fathers are still in the community tank.

I did have one female who was dropped on the floor and ended up with quite a deformed spine. I didn't think she was going to make it at first, but she recovered and lived more than another year. Despite my intention not to let her breed, I think an older juvenile male nailed her before I got him out of her tank, because I think she did get pregnant. She got a huge belly, but died before giving birth. Although it made me sad, because I really liked her, it was probably better than going through the birth process with her spine messed up.

Anyway, if they can swim and seem otherwise healthy, I'd agree with your plan to separate them so they don't breed and see what happens.

With my platy fry, if I catch the deformity while they are still little enough for my betta to eat, I feed them to him. He enjoys a live treat now and then, and since I can't sell deformed fish, it seems like a reasonable way to handle the need to cull.

Good luck with them.

#6 cichlidfinder

cichlidfinder

esox hunter

• Retired Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 07:39 PM

As A one time large scale breeder I can say that these deformities are more often caused by poor water quality during embroy develepment than genentics. These types of issues can be seen across the board in egg layers and live bearing fishes. If you have a bad pairing ( genetics ) you lose most if not the whole brood very early on. You just wont know with live bearers. If your getting say 4 out of 20 with bent spines I would look at water quality. If your getting 15 out of 20 then cull the group and the parents.

#7 glasshaven

glasshaven

Halfmoon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 763 posts
  • Betta Count:20+
  • Total Fish Count:LOL
  • Referred By:Google/Facebook

Posted 30 March 2012 - 02:26 PM

Thank you all very much! I just got home from work and haven't looked in on them yet, but I know that as of last night I had at least 2 new babies in the tank- today I'll be able to pay more attention to them.

I'll try to get some pictures of the group as well. Some are quite pretty, or have the potential to be even though they are ragged right now.

#8 Bettagirl7

Bettagirl7

Sparta

• Members
  • 1,253 posts
  • Betta Count:1
  • Total Fish Count:7
  • Referred By:Yahoo Answers
  • Statement:Strangers are just friends you haven't met yet. ~FLuffee

Posted 19 April 2012 - 06:59 PM

I've had fry that started to develop bent spines but then as they got older their spines straightened out. I think about out of every 100 fry there was usually one that matured with a bent spine. That didn't stop them from being normal guppies, though!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq