Sp. mahachai

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • Betta Count:8
  • Total Fish Count:32
  • Referred By:N/A

Posted 19 March 2012 - 12:02 PM

Been busy last week getting my new bettas adjusted and putting them into their new divided 20gal. I was shopping at BigAl's in search of Aquarisol and the elusive OMEGA ONE betta food, but ending up sadly not finiding either one. Started a conversation with the counter girl, while paying for the equipment I bought. Told her I was going to start a breeding project, turns she's into bettas as well and offered me her old 10gal setup for free only asking in return that I give her a free male and female pair from my black copper Ct brood when their ready. Here's the tank I picked up from her last night, I'll post more pics as I clean it up and convert it into a breeding tank. Ignore the keg in the background, that was gift from someone else lol. Below is the pair I'm going to spawn, just a side none of my bettas are related so the results may vary.

Male Black Copper Crossray Ct
Posted Image

Female Black Copper Crossray Ct
Posted Image

10 gallon aquarium, filter and heater included, which I'm going to turn into a breeding tank.
Posted Image

#2 AussieGirl

AussieGirl

Fry

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 12:17 PM

Pretty bettas. I love black crowntails, trying to find one of my own that I don't have to ship in from Thailand right now. Good luck with them, can't wait to see the offspring. :-)

#3 Travesty

Travesty

Wiggler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
  • Betta Count:3
  • Total Fish Count:8

Posted 19 March 2012 - 12:42 PM

Wow look at him! I'm not really into crowntails, but he's awesome!

#4 Valentina

Valentina

Valentina

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts
  • Betta Count:3-soon-to-be-6 O.o
  • Total Fish Count:6

Posted 19 March 2012 - 03:01 PM

Are they siblings? Good luck! they look awesome :tup:

#5 Maryanne

Maryanne

UltimateBettas Veteran

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,850 posts
  • Betta Count:Enough.
  • Total Fish Count:Many!
  • Referred By:google

Posted 19 March 2012 - 08:50 PM

aquarisol is discontinued. Why do you want omega one food?

You should not use gravel in a breeding tank. The male will lose the eggs in it and the fry will get stuck in it.

#6 Eratic-Fish-Finatic

Eratic-Fish-Finatic

Sp. mahachai

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 11:21 PM

aquarisol is discontinued. Why do you want omega one food?

You should not use gravel in a breeding tank. The male will lose the eggs in it and the fry will get stuck in it.

Yeah, the manager at BigAl's informed me it was discontinued. As for the Omega One, I was just looking for some other pellet/flake brand foods which I can use as a alternative as I like to vary my betta's diet. I'm currently feeding my bettas: Hikari betta pellets, Tetra brand Bettamin, Atison's betta food/pro (I have both) and once a week live blood worms (quarantined and treated of course).
No worries about the tank, threw away the gravel. I never use gravel in any of my tanks, I like all my tanks natural so I only use sand (black preferably) or non-treated pesticide free organic potting soil as all my tanks are also planted. I already cleaned out the tank, just soaking it in a bleach water solution for now. Planning to keep the breeding tank bare as it should be, fill the tank 1/3 full, add 2 IALs (I bought a pack of 100 from Amy Lim) and keep temp in the 28C-30C area. My female is ready to go as her bars are visible. Now just gotta wait til the tank is done soaking to set it up and condition the male and female together.
I also created a automatic drip system that will add aged water to the fry tank slowly throughout their growing process. I'm going to use multiple small sponge filters in the breeding tank at each end.
The tank in the photo was donated to me from a employee who worked at my local BigAl's, it wasn't cleaned out yet because I just picked it up that night of the first post.

Edited by Eratic-Fish-Finatic, 19 March 2012 - 11:28 PM.

#7 Eratic-Fish-Finatic

Eratic-Fish-Finatic

Sp. mahachai

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 11:34 PM

Are they siblings? Good luck! they look awesome :tup:

No, they both came from different breeders. Even though its advised to breed sibling pairs to continue desired traits, I don't because I don't like inbreds. Even though sibling breeding would produce the best results for desired traits, I noticed it ups the chances of deformed fry as well. I think its always better to introduce some new genes.

#8 Valentina

Valentina

Valentina

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts
  • Betta Count:3-soon-to-be-6 O.o
  • Total Fish Count:6

Posted 20 March 2012 - 04:56 PM

No, they both came from different breeders. Even though its advised to breed sibling pairs to continue desired traits, I don't because I don't like inbreds. Even though sibling breeding would produce the best results for desired traits, I noticed it ups the chances of deformed fry as well. I think its always better to introduce some new genes.

Hmm I've always thought that (about the inbreeding) but I figured so many (far more experienced) people do it that it must not be that big of a deal. But I'll definitely keep that in mind now =]

#9 Eratic-Fish-Finatic

Eratic-Fish-Finatic

Sp. mahachai

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 09:28 PM

Hmm I've always thought that (about the inbreeding) but I figured so many (far more experienced) people do it that it must not be that big of a deal. But I'll definitely keep that in mind now =]

I actually had conversions about the matter with the breeders I got my bettas from in Thailand. Most of them said what I'd expected them to say, which was the fact that its a business. They stated it would be better if the gene pool was always filled with new genes, but the wait for non related individual bettas which carry the same traits would take too much time. Some of the breeders also stated inbreeding is alright because bettas have large broods, they pickout the best ones which could be a set amount like the top 50 and then cull the rest. I guess that's why they choose to inbreed their bettas, but I don't inbreed due to my personally beliefs. In the Pet trade, fish arnt highly valued in terms of the life form hierarchy so that could also be a factor. I think how people say one life form is better than another is absolutely absurd.

#10 Eratic-Fish-Finatic

Eratic-Fish-Finatic

Sp. mahachai

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 09:45 PM

This isn't relevant to my pair featured in this thread, but I thought this was pretty cool. My male black devil made one of the largest bubble nest I've ever seen in his divided part of my divided 20 gallon. Here two pics, one from above and from underneath.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Eratic-Fish-Finatic, 20 March 2012 - 09:48 PM.

• Clara5 likes this

#11 Eratic-Fish-Finatic

Eratic-Fish-Finatic

Sp. mahachai

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 02:07 PM

My breeding tank has been setup and I have introduced the pair together. So far no nipping, their just taking turns paying hide and seek and cat and mouse. I will continue to add updates as the day progresses. I'll add pics as soon as I can.

Edited by Eratic-Fish-Finatic, 22 March 2012 - 02:18 PM.

#12 Eratic-Fish-Finatic

Eratic-Fish-Finatic

Sp. mahachai

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 05:05 PM

Alright everyone here's some updates, tell me what you think. Follow the link to watch the 30sec vid, Ignore the people talking in the background, their irrelevant lol.

Posted Image

http://s1241.photobu...t=VIDEO0039.mp4

Edited by Eratic-Fish-Finatic, 22 March 2012 - 05:09 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq