#1 Jamey Drew

Jamey Drew

Egg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 05:53 PM

Hiya!
My name is Jamey, and I currently live in Calgary, Ab, Canada. I have been creeping on these forms for quite some time now, and recently I signed up since everyone seems to know what they are talking about. :) I'm just a shy individual so I get weird. ANYWAY!

I bought Gargoyle from petsmart about 6 months ago now. When I first got him he was a very shy individual, but absolutely beautiful; but he got Ick 3-4 days after, and his appearance suffered since. (I don't really care if he looks amazing, I just want him happy, lol) He's a very active little guy- if I don't drop his pellets into the tank fast enough he'll jump up at my hand. I think he is just trying to live up to the name. But he got better, (by reading these forms, and bettacare101) and has been doing great for a while until he started tail biting. So his tail fin has never gotten completely better. I read on the interwebs that it could be that he's board, or his reflection, etc; so I have tried buying one of those aquarium clings, more plastic plants. I have also recently installed a filter into his tank along with a heater. I don't think he likes the filter at all, since I've installed it he has stopped flaring at me, and almost seems a little more nervous. But there is no strong current from the filter. Usually when myself or someone else goes up to the tank, he'll greet them and perform. But since I installed the filter, his activity with 'people' has diminished. His tail has no fresh new bites, so that's good, but he seems gloomy. Could it be the filter that is causing this? Could it be that I might be underfeeding him? I feed him about 5-6 pellets a day. He lives in a 15gal tank by himself- is there such a thing as too much when it comes to living conditions? Should he be moved to a smaller tank? Any ideas or thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 Solitarianknight

Solitarianknight

Formerly known as dimidiata

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,253 posts
  • Betta Count:2
  • Total Fish Count:many
  • Referred By:the gravitational force that shrouds UB
  • Statement:luchamos por la liberación de los bettas! Las viva bettas

Posted 06 March 2012 - 08:13 PM

I think its pefect! no such thing as too much space :P. They have quite big territories in the wild. However, i might suggest adding a heater to the tank. Welcome to UltimateBetta!

Here are a few of our care sheets and stickies on cycling and general betta care!
http://www.ultimateb...showtopic=18075
Our care sheet is pretty big but dont worry, its a pretty easy read.

http://www.ultimateb...showtopic=18953
Our sheet on Cycling(this one should be of much use to you).

http://www.ultimateb...?showtopic=4006
A thread on tail biting and the various causes.

http://www.ultimateb...showtopic=47806
And a link to our index of articles and stickies
  • WigglePuppy likes this

#3 PeachesMarie

PeachesMarie

Resident Whovian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • Total Fish Count:28 fish and some inverts
  • Referred By:google
  • Statement:The whole point of swearin' is that it ain't appropriate.

Posted 06 March 2012 - 09:58 PM

Welcome! Can't beat Dimi's list of links, so I'll just second his motion of saying go read them :D It could be he didn't like the change of adding the filter. How long has it been in there? I'm thinking he might just need time to get used to it.

#4 Solitarianknight

Solitarianknight

Formerly known as dimidiata

• Members
  • 4,253 posts
  • Total Fish Count:many
  • Referred By:the gravitational force that shrouds UB
  • Statement:luchamos por la liberación de los bettas! Las viva bettas

Posted 07 March 2012 - 05:26 AM

I was thinking its posibl that the tank is cycling? Unless i missed something in the first post, in which case my bad. But if its only been there for a day or so i wouldnt exspect much of a cycle to be started so i agree with peaches, its possible that he doesnt like the change.(that could bee his tail biting trigger).

#5 Hippiechick

Hippiechick

The Glitter Queen

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,940 posts
  • Betta Count:1
  • Total Fish Count:50 +++ got more now!
  • Referred By:BettaMomma and Chris
  • Statement:"Time to nut up or shut up!" Tallahassee, Zombieland...

Posted 09 March 2012 - 08:50 AM

Posted Image:wel5:
to UltimateBettas!!!
Posted Image

We're happy to have you join us. So kick off your shoes, get comfy and stay a while!

#6 Jamey Drew

Jamey Drew

Egg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 11:10 AM

I just wanted to say thank you for all the links and stuff that was posted! Gargs tail fin is getting better; I can see the regrowth! And hes not biting it off. Huzza! AND he's started building bubble nests again. So that has to be a good sign, right? I have printed out the link you posted on "cycling a tank" and followed instructions as best I could. I think I have it correct- I have also started using a large bucket to have water ready for his 30% water changes weekly. But to test the water; this must be a kit I can buy at a pet shop, no? Are these kits expensive? I have talked to the employees at the petsmart I visit- but they have this weird attitude with Bettas or don't seem to care very much or they seem to be a bit clueless. OR! They just remind me to keep the receipt if the fish dies and they'll give me a new fish. (fail)

A proper heater is in the works. I just have to get over to petstore (as soon as possible) and pick one up on a slower work day.

And when I originally posted my concerns on the filter- you we're correct; he just needed to get used to it. It was only in there for 3 days when I started to panic.

We've also recently adopted some tank mates for him. I checked the other link that was sent on the betta caresheet before I agreed; so we now have a olive nerite snail names Lewis & an African Dwarf frog (I checked for the webbing, lol) names Waldo. (Because you can't find him half the time) It's been a few days since we introduced them- and thus far Gargs doesn't care for the snail at all. And he kinda flirts with the frog. He just swims up to him, then away, then back up, then away. He's not even really flaring at him. The only time he flared at Waldo was when I had them floating in the bag. Most of the time, Gargs ignores him. But I think it's mostly due to he can't find him. XD

So again! Thanks for you help! Past and future! :D

#7 SquishyBettax4

SquishyBettax4

Proud Betta Aficionado/Hobbyist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 999 posts
  • Betta Count:2 (for now)
  • Total Fish Count:2
  • Referred By:I too was sucked in by UB's gravitational force.
  • Statement:"I don't have a short temper, I just have a quick reaction to bulls**t."

Posted 20 March 2012 - 06:44 PM

You've got a good looking betta there. Congrats. Also Welcome to UB!

#8 bounduli

bounduli

Egg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  • Referred By:Internet

Posted 21 March 2012 - 08:24 PM

hi..welcome to UB! you got a beautiful aquarium and a beautiful Betta..
I hope he gets well soon. :V:

#9 Strick

Strick

Resident Lothario

• 5,895 posts
  • Betta Count:1, for now...
  • Total Fish Count:30+

Posted 25 March 2012 - 07:26 AM

Posted Image

Gorgeous betta. All the colors of a beautiful sunset... Love that cave, too.

How is your boy doing? Has he perked back up? Some bettas react very cautiously to any changes, so I'm thinking he just needs a little time to get used the way the water moves with the filter running...

#10 Hippiechick

Hippiechick

The Glitter Queen

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,940 posts
  • Betta Count:1
  • Total Fish Count:50 +++ got more now!
  • Referred By:BettaMomma and Chris
  • Statement:"Time to nut up or shut up!" Tallahassee, Zombieland...

Posted 08 April 2012 - 11:08 PM

Posted Image:wel5:
to UltimateBettas!!!
Posted Image

We're happy to have you join us. So kick off your shoes, get comfy and stay a while!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq