3 replies to this topic

#1 ziman347

ziman347

Wiggler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 01:09 AM

Hey, it's been a while since I posted anything about my fishes and what not. And I have no clue where to put this question, but since you guys are the most knowledgeable collection of people on fish information I figured I should at least put this out there somewhere and hope to get a response or two guidance.

But I was just wondering how far down neon tetras / tetras in general will swim. I was just wondering as in my dream fish tank - and I really do mean dream as I probably will never have enough money for it - I would want an aquarium from floor to ceiling and about 6 or 8 feet from where the wall would be.... so if I was to put say.. neon tetras in which in my 24inch deep tank (from substrate to surface) they go all the way to the bottom... would they go down 8 feet? 10 feet? (ya know the height of ceiling ish for this dream aquarium).

Any information on how far down certain species of fish go would be helpful too. Thanks in advance!

#2 Scars

Scars

Wiggler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
  • Betta Count:Soon.
  • Referred By:Google

Posted 05 March 2012 - 09:02 AM

If i had a tank that big, i wouldnt have neons. Im not sure how deep they normally swim in an environment like that. Usually in the wild small fish stick pretty close to foliage and cover.

#3 amethyst

amethyst

Alpha Betta

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,137 posts
  • Betta Count:1
  • Total Fish Count:An ever-changing number
  • Referred By:Carmenellie
  • Statement:All is well, all is well, and all manner of things is well.

Posted 08 March 2012 - 05:17 AM

I have a tank that's 30" tall, and when I had neons in it they went to the bottom. Don't know about 8 feet, though. Might be too much water pressure for them. Of course with a tank that size, you could have a gazillion neons and still have some other fish to fill out the bottom.

My main question would be how in the heck would you go about cleaning such a tank? I have enough trouble with the 30" one, because I can't reach the bottom. I have to use a reacher/grabber thing to move anything on the bottom, to plant anything, etc. And, it's on a stand that makes the top above my head by a couple of inches, so I need a stepladder to do anything more than feed, and when I clean I have to set my bucket on a stool. I was just thinking about trying to find a lower stand for it so I could reach in from the top without having to climb a ladder! Dragging 5g buckets of water up and down a ladder and on/off a stool is a real pain - literally! My arms kill me for a couple of days after doing a water change!

#4 ziman347

ziman347

Wiggler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 01:11 PM

lol yaaa the cleaning i'm sure would be a b**** but it would be aaaawwweesssommmeee!!!

i figure if lfs's can have gigantic aquariums, why not me? lol. im sure there's a way. maybe if its big enough i can go scuba diving in it and clean that way lol. i just go certified to scuba dive so thatd be aawessome. obviously this is just a "i wish i could do this" but i just wanted to know the logistics / if it could ever be possible. i'd probably need some kind of shelving system so that the fish don't have to feel like they need to go to the bottom for cover.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq