Valentina

Valentina

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts
  • Betta Count:3-soon-to-be-6 O.o
  • Total Fish Count:6

Posted 03 March 2012 - 02:49 PM

I'd like to find two females for the these two guys...

Black orchid CT
Posted Image

Red copper CT
Posted Image

I'd like to have people's opinions on the following females...

Female #1

Posted Image

Female #2 (supposed to be black orchid)

Posted Image

Female #3

Posted Image

Female #4

Posted Image

I believe the black orchid color (and also the black devils) doesn't breed true, but still I wanted to pick a good match for them

Thank You!

#2 Maryanne

Maryanne

UltimateBettas Veteran

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,850 posts
  • Betta Count:Enough.
  • Total Fish Count:Many!
  • Referred By:google

Posted 03 March 2012 - 03:21 PM

Actually both black devils and black orchids breed true. What is your goal? Do you want to get more like the males?

#3 Valentina

Valentina

Valentina

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 03:40 PM

Actually both black devils and black orchids breed true. What is your goal? Do you want to get more like the males?

Really? That's great to hear because I read here (http://bettysplenden...?articleid=1040) that they didn't so I guess it threw me off a little bit ^^; Well yes, I'd like the offsprings to look more like the males. I'll be choosing two females from the ones I posted. Any suggestions are definitely welcomed.

#4 Maryanne

Maryanne

UltimateBettas Veteran

• 8,850 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 03:49 PM

hmm. It does say that there... I have worked with black devils and black orchids in the past and I did get black orchids and black devils from those spawns. As long as your fish is not a marble based black, you should get more of the same.

As far as the iridescence color, copper x copper will give you copper. Copper x female 2 will probably give you some copper if her blue is metallic and you'll get more blues like her as well.

As far as your female's forms, I like the toplines of 1 and 4 - the others have that flat forehead that will be more pronounced in any male fry they pass that to. I like the dorsal of 2. I like the fin structure of 2.

I would cross female 2 with male 1 and female 4 with male 2.

#5 Valentina

Valentina

Valentina

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 03:54 PM

Thank you so much! =]

hmm. It does say that there... I have worked with black devils and black orchids in the past and I did get black orchids and black devils from those spawns. As long as your fish is not a marble based black, you should get more of the same.

As far as the iridescence color, copper x copper will give you copper. Copper x female 2 will probably give you some copper if her blue is metallic and you'll get more blues like her as well.

As far as your female's forms, I like the toplines of 1 and 4 - the others have that flat forehead that will be more pronounced in any male fry they pass that to. I like the dorsal of 2. I like the fin structure of 2.

I would cross female 2 with male 1 and female 4 with male 2.

#6 Kendra

Kendra

Betta Love Doctor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,885 posts
  • Betta Count:Growing
  • Total Fish Count:Growing
  • Referred By:My betta
  • Statement:Good in some, evil in all, is the reason why humans will fall.

Posted 03 March 2012 - 08:31 PM

Dido what Maryanne said.

Female 2 and 4 are the best IMO. Female 2 is good because of her dorsal and her overall look is decent. Some don't like the shovel-head look, which is why I like female 4. She's got the better topline and although her finnage isn't as good as female 2, I would still definitly recommend using her.

TBH I wouldn't use female 3 at all.

#7 Valentina

Valentina

Valentina

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 09:11 PM

I ended up with 1 and 2 because I kinda had already said yes to the first one =/ I really like female 4 too, but I didn't know if the purple was going to be a problem (she is probably still available if anybody reading this would like her, the seller is fantasybetta). Well hopefully it turns out good =] Thanks for all the advice, I learned a lot about what to look for! ^^

Dido what Maryanne said.

Female 2 and 4 are the best IMO. Female 2 is good because of her dorsal and her overall look is decent. Some don't like the shovel-head look, which is why I like female 4. She's got the better topline and although her finnage isn't as good as female 2, I would still definitly recommend using her.

TBH I wouldn't use female 3 at all.

#8 Solitarianknight

Solitarianknight

Formerly known as dimidiata

• Members
  • 4,253 posts
  • Betta Count:2
  • Total Fish Count:many
  • Referred By:the gravitational force that shrouds UB
  • Statement:luchamos por la liberación de los bettas! Las viva bettas

Posted 03 March 2012 - 11:34 PM

Well 1 isnt soo bad, 3 just looks a mess. I like 2, and the males are both beautiful.

#9 Valentina

Valentina

Valentina

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 08:49 AM

Thank you! ^^ I can see that 3 looks a bit odd but what exactly is he lacking? I was offered another copper female today...

Posted Image

Maybe she would've been a better choice over female 1 but I am determined not to go over the 5 bettas I already have <_<

I'm not good at evaluating them but I guess she seems to have a good topline, a little too much metallic blue though? (since I'd like to get a black-copper look). Her dorsal looks... good? and her tail looks a little uneven but maybe it's just me XD

Well 1 isnt soo bad, 3 just looks a mess. I like 2, and the males are both beautiful.

#10 Solitarianknight

Solitarianknight

Formerly known as dimidiata

• Members
  • 4,253 posts
  • Betta Count:2
  • Total Fish Count:many
  • Referred By:the gravitational force that shrouds UB
  • Statement:luchamos por la liberación de los bettas! Las viva bettas

Posted 04 March 2012 - 10:50 AM

In my opinion she looks to have some weird finnage and scale deffects also that odd jut of a stomache(though it could be something else). Im just getting started on learning betta grading, maryanne is the expert here :)

#11 Maryanne

Maryanne

UltimateBettas Veteran

• 8,850 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 11:25 AM

Thank you! ^^ I can see that 3 looks a bit odd but what exactly is he lacking? I was offered another copper female today...

Posted Image

Maybe she would've been a better choice over female 1 but I am determined not to go over the 5 bettas I already have <_<

I'm not good at evaluating them but I guess she seems to have a good topline, a little too much metallic blue though? (since I'd like to get a black-copper look). Her dorsal looks... good? and her tail looks a little uneven but maybe it's just me XD

Her dorsal and anal fin are nice, her caudal edges are being pulled in making them curve. Ideally you want those to be straight. She has a pretty good topline but the beginnings of a dip right above her nose. I see no scale faults. her caudal peduncle seems a little weak to me based on the rest of her, but that's common in CTs nowadays.

What do you mean you want to keep the black copper look? She still counts as a black copper.

She is better than female #1 and on par with female #2.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq