7 replies to this topic

#1 420Gourami

420Gourami

Egg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 09:49 AM

So I have had my betta for a short ammount of time. roughly a month now. I had kept him in a cycled tank with few plants. Well in my other tank with goldfish I had a die off and they all died. So I cleaned the gravel the filter everything and I had used the plants and filter for my betta. The other day, he was fine flared up and as happy as can be. Las night he had fungal infection all over. I had did a 50% W/C and he acted fine(ate and everything) Today he was completely covered and dead. My thoughts were that the filter(which even though was cleaned out the best i could) had caused poor water quality for him. The parameters check out fine(everything 0 with 5 nitrates). pH is about 7.6 and temp is room temperature. So any thoughts on why this could have happen so quickly and abruptly?

Mind you i have experience with bettas and gourami's and have never had these problems come out of nowhere and my tanks had been in far more dissaray then this tank has ever been(which is none)

Posted Image

#2 Nelson

Nelson

"Happiness is a hand full of salamanders" -Palor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,841 posts
  • Betta Count:7
  • Total Fish Count:7
  • Referred By:SupersonicMuffin/Limefox
  • Statement:BLOARG! I AM A BOOK! U8<

Posted 02 March 2012 - 11:28 AM

How did you sanitize the gravel? Hot water? Did you use the same filter pad? Did you cycle the tank with the betta in it or no?

Rinsing is not enough to get rid of most bacteria and fungus. I would throw it out and clean the tank with a bleach solution. 10 parts bleach to one part water. Rinse it out with heavily dechlorinated water (add two to three times as much water conditioner than normal) Then let it air dry and rinse one more time. Only reuse any nonporous decorations like resign rocks and stuff. (also bleach them) You can try to sanitize live plants by using a bleach dip, but not all plants will survive it so it may be better to just freeze then toss them.

On a side note, he may have been more susceptible to illness because of the room temperature water. Bettas like it very warm- and stable. 78F is the lowest I would go. I'm sorry for your loss. :(
  • Solitarianknight likes this

#3 Solitarianknight

Solitarianknight

Formerly known as dimidiata

• Members
  • 4,255 posts
  • Betta Count:2
  • Total Fish Count:many
  • Referred By:the gravitational force that shrouds UB
  • Statement:luchamos por la liberación de los bettas! Las viva bettas

Posted 02 March 2012 - 12:56 PM

Im going to have to agree with the water being a tad cold unless your room is in the upper 80s constantly. These guys like it a tad warmer, wether is was the direct cause or not it may have/still be contributing to his condition. First priority would be to raise the temps with a heater(betta care is very similar to some gourami species, they both need heat, clean water and adaquate space.)
  • Nelson likes this

#4 420Gourami

420Gourami

Egg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 01:10 PM

Well The gravel was cleaned with a mixture of hot water(about 120 degrees when tested it) and bleach. I let it sit for two days before adding it in. The filter was changed and sterilized(bleach treatment as well) and let run through clean water(changed every hour) for a day before reusing it. However the filter was not exactly as clean as thought because after putting it back in and noticing his condition i rechecked the filter and it was real grody.

The temp in my house lately(due to winter and havingbirds as well and needing to keep it warm) stays at a rough 75 degrees. I have kept very healthy bettas(one of which lived for nearly 10 years) in cold water conditions, the same as the rest of my tropicals(Gourami and a plecostomus and oto's). Due to not having him as long I made sure his temperature was as exact as possible.

My gourami and my other betta(who had recently passed as well from old age) has lived in cold water(got as low as 65 degrees during this last winter)for their whole lives. So I never really take that into account and being that I kept the temperature stable with this betta that should not have factored. At least I dont believe it should have.

Do you think it could have been the bleach treatment, maybe some excess residues that didnt leave. Thank you all for help. Im sorry if I sound as if im putting your thoughts down, Im not just trying to give you all a better idea of my setup's and how my tanks run. Thank you all again.

#5 Solitarianknight

Solitarianknight

Formerly known as dimidiata

• Members
  • 4,255 posts
  • Total Fish Count:many
  • Referred By:the gravitational force that shrouds UB
  • Statement:luchamos por la liberación de los bettas! Las viva bettas

Posted 02 March 2012 - 02:46 PM

I can only give you this advice. Get a heater. For all your tanks. Make sure you dont cross contaminate any of the things from his tank of course, since this is looks like a fungus. Getting him into proper conditions with warmer water will help boost his immune system. There are a few anti fungal treatments out there, unfortunetly i have had little experience with fungus so i cant reccomend one of the other.
  • Nelson likes this

#6 420Gourami

420Gourami

Egg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 04:44 PM

Will do thanks for the advice and all the help. Next time I can get some money for the heaters(which at my local petsmart the good kind are like 30 dollars) I will do so. Thanks again its much appreciated :)

#7 PeachesMarie

PeachesMarie

Resident Whovian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • Total Fish Count:28 fish and some inverts
  • Referred By:google
  • Statement:The whole point of swearin' is that it ain't appropriate.

Posted 02 March 2012 - 05:14 PM

You can order good heaters for considerably cheaper than that online. I've been looking to replace one of my heaters with an Elite Mini (which are pretty good ime) and can find them on Amazon for as little as $10. You could potentially get two for the price of one of the Petsmartco heaters.

I had something similar happen to the betta in my picture. I never figured out what happened, so I know how sudden and sad it was to lose him in such a manner. I'm sorry it happened to you too :(

Edited by PeachesMarie, 02 March 2012 - 05:15 PM.

#8 Nelson

Nelson

"Happiness is a hand full of salamanders" -Palor

• Members
  • 4,841 posts
  • Betta Count:7
  • Total Fish Count:7
  • Referred By:SupersonicMuffin/Limefox
  • Statement:BLOARG! I AM A BOOK! U8<

Posted 02 March 2012 - 06:34 PM

Did you let the gravel air dry before you put it back in? Honestly I wouldn't trust it, I never reuse gravel from tanks that had very sick fish in them. Sounds like it could have been some bleach leftover or some very resistant fungus in the gravel.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq