Plakat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts
  • Betta Count:15
  • Total Fish Count:100+
  • Referred By:Jun

Posted 02 March 2012 - 08:46 AM

I have a pair of Betta Albimarginata in a community tank setup. They are in a 26g flat back hex.

Tank pics:
Posted Image
Posted Image

I have recently raised my lighting up because it was much too bright for them (two T5HO bulbs). I also changed my substrate from light colored sand to black flourite sand. Waiting for the plants to fill in the tank a bit more.

Other fish in the tank are:
Corydoras (panda and leucomelas)
Checker barbs
Pork Chop Rasboras
Otocinclus

There have been several instances where the male will go into hiding for several days... but as of yet I haven't seen any fry. I'm not sure whether this is because something is eating the fry, he can't get the hang of this "daddy" thing, or maybe there is no fry to begin with.

I'm thinking I will need to set up a dedicated breeding/fry tank and would like advice on what would be best. I am not able to spend a whole lot of money because I've just spent a TON setting up three high tech planted tanks.

Questions:
1. Should there be substrate in the tank? I know in a lot of fry tanks, there is no substrate for cleanliness. I'm not sure how to go about having a substrate-less tank since there also has to be plants in there.
2. Plants - if I go without substrate would things like moss, floating plants, and rhizome plants be sufficient?
3. Caves - I have a lot of driftwood and a couple coconut shell caves. Will that be sufficient?
4. Tank size: I have spare 5.5g and 10g tanks... and possibly a standard 20g. I do also have a 29g but that is sort of set aside as a mbuna fry/hospital tank. I could POSSIBLY purchase a 20g long if that's my best option.

My plan is to put the pair in the breeding/fry tank and then once I see the male holding, remove the female back to the main tank.

#2 nikelodeon79

nikelodeon79

Plakat

• Members
  • 505 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 08:50 AM

Oh, here are pics of the fish. :) They are a bit washed out because they didn't like the high light and light substrate I previously had in the tank.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

#3 majerah

majerah

Wild Betta Tamer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,262 posts
  • Betta Count:lotz and lotz
  • Total Fish Count:27 ish.
  • Statement:"O holy one, cast thy purifying light upon this corrupt soul... Rest in peace, sinners! Judgment!"

Posted 02 March 2012 - 11:21 AM

Beautiful fish!

I highly suggest a tight fitting lid for them though,they are jumpers.One person walks by the tank too fast and they spook they shoot straight up and out lol.

That said I think the substrate is perfectly fine.The eggs are not very small so they will land on top of the sand where the fish will pick them up.If your cycled then keep up with waterchanges and siphon out any uneaten food you find.Keep a test kit handy and watch the ammonia levels and your good.

#4 sde09001

sde09001

Crowntail

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • Betta Count:4
  • Total Fish Count:25

Posted 02 March 2012 - 11:25 AM

Substrate shouldn't matter in a breeding tank as the male will catch the eggs on his anal fin. Prety much any of those pants should be good. You seem to have far more experience with plants than I do so you would know more about what would work than I would. Any amount if caves will be fine as ling s he has at least one especially if you're going to take the female out after spawning. Tank size really depends on what you want to do with the fry. If you want to keep the fry in the breeding tank then the 5.5 would be a good start so its small enough for them to find food. Eventually you'll want to move them to a larger grow out tank but it all depends on how fast your fry grow and how many you have. Hope this helps.

#5 Nereus

Nereus

Fry

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • Betta Count:Plague proportions
  • Statement:Fish die belly upward, and rise to the surface. It's their way of falling.

Posted 02 March 2012 - 02:54 PM

I just used java moss in my albimarginata tank and they spawned several times. I had a coarse natural coloured gravel as substrate and this didn't cause any problems with eggs falling or being lost.

I had a big hollow log in there, which was what they used to spawn in. As I used to run a HO T5 globe over the tank, they preferred to have somewhere dark to retreat for some 'private time'.

I killed off most of the fry through my ineptitude, but the 10 or so survivors are growing out nicely now in a bare-bottom, 3/4s full 15 gallon. I do a 30-40% water change every day and that seems to be enough to maintain water quality, even with several feedings a day.

#6 nikelodeon79

nikelodeon79

Plakat

• Members
  • 505 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 03:21 PM

Thanks for the responses!

I was thinking of setting up a 5.5g as a breeding tank but wasn't sure if it would be too small or not... I'd love to use that size because I could just stick it anywhere. Plus, less ground to cover for plants (I hate bare looking tanks!) and that means less MONEY spent, LOL.

If I do get fry, I'll just move them to a bigger tank/tanks as they grow.

Regarding the lack of a top on this tank: I read that Albis are crazy jumpers about a year and a half after I got these... they've been in this tank the whole time with no issues. I'm not sure whether they're just secure in the tank, whether the large-ish lip on the tank keeps them in, or perhaps its the depth of the tank. I can't find a lid that fits the tank, unfortunately... so I'm kind of stuck with it (although I could probably get some glass cut to fit.

I did order a bunch of frogbit (floating plants) so that should also help keep them in. The smaller breeding tank would have a tight fitting lid.

#7 LouisaMaeBrown

LouisaMaeBrown

UltimateBettas Veteran

• Elite Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,745 posts
  • Betta Count:Ever changing :)
  • Referred By:internet search
  • Statement:I am NOT addicted!.... okay, maybe I am, a little.

Posted 02 March 2012 - 07:28 PM

They're adorable. They have loevly home. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq