Small-Town Girl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  • Betta Count:2
  • Total Fish Count:4
  • Statement:"Certainty is the natural enemy of adventure." - Unknown

Posted 01 March 2012 - 10:30 PM

Recently went in to my LFS and found that they're now selling "Gold Mystus Catfish". In one tank, several 2" cats were kept. In another, there were more that measured about 4" each. And then in one of the big tanks for bigger fish, they had a few that probably measured around 7". I jumped on my computer that night and attempted to find out more about them -- and discovered that they were actually Mystus tengara. The websites with info on this specific species also told me that they generally only grew to be about 3-4 inches? :scratch: Which is weird because I saw a bunch of them that were way bigger... Anybody with better facts about these little cuties who would like to clue me in are welcome to share! If I can get a better idea what their specific needs will be then I may just make a purchase... :shift:

#2 Solitarianknight

Solitarianknight

Formerly known as dimidiata

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,255 posts
  • Betta Count:2
  • Total Fish Count:many
  • Referred By:the gravitational force that shrouds UB
  • Statement:luchamos por la liberación de los bettas! Las viva bettas

Posted 01 March 2012 - 10:55 PM

I found a few sites stating they grew to be 7inches. Are you also sure they were tengara? There are a few diffrent species in the Mystus group and imo, they arnt the best sorted. Ive seen Vittatus in my LFS(always getting weird fish) they are similar, but bolder in color normaly. Probably the most commonly confused fish. The Vuttatus get around 8 or so inches, they are called Dwarf Striped catfish(ironic how at 8" long, they are th dwarfs in their group :P). Id be double sure its a tengara before potentialy getting monsters lol.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq