4 replies to this topic

#1 majerah

majerah

Wild Betta Tamer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,226 posts
  • Betta Count:lotz and lotz
  • Total Fish Count:27 ish.
  • Statement:"O holy one, cast thy purifying light upon this corrupt soul... Rest in peace, sinners! Judgment!"

Posted 29 February 2012 - 12:08 PM

As you all know my male has decided to hold.He has been holding since the 16th.I have fresh hatched BBS ready for today,but i see no fry just yet.Would it be ok to drop some in anyhow?Think the male will swallow this far into the spawning or is it safe?

Also how little is the fry when released?About the size of albi fry or larger?smaller?lol.

Sorry for the questions just my first mac babies and I want to be sure they are all given a wonderful chance to survive.

#2 brianjim

brianjim

UltimateBettas Veteran

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,538 posts
  • Betta Count:Lots and Lots
  • Total Fish Count:Even more
  • Referred By:myself
  • Statement:It's all fun and games till someone puts their eye out.

Posted 29 February 2012 - 03:15 PM

From what I have seen they are bigger than Albis and slightly smaller than guppy fry. He won't swallow at this point. I don't think having bbs in the tank will entice him to release if that is what you are trying to accomplish. Take the rest of them and freeze them for when you run out or forget to hatch more. It comes in handy. I am sure Sam will have more info.

#3 majerah

majerah

Wild Betta Tamer

• 2,226 posts
  • Statement:"O holy one, cast thy purifying light upon this corrupt soul... Rest in peace, sinners! Judgment!"

Posted 29 February 2012 - 03:23 PM

Thanks,Brian!

Actually I was just wanting to give him the option of having the food just in case.I read somewhere that someone said he will take in a little food for the fry if its avaliable.

#4 Synirr

Synirr

Sanity and happiness are an impossible combination.

• Root Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,904 posts
  • Betta Count:Some
  • Total Fish Count:Lots

Posted 29 February 2012 - 04:36 PM

I have never seen my male take any food whatsoever when holding, so I don't think there's much reason to offer. It is probably too early for him to release anyway. Unless you are keeping them very warm, I imagine it will be several more days before you see fry. Right now they are probably tiny little fish with big yolk sacs attached. :P

William just threw some albimarginata babies in with my newest batch of macs, and they are very similar in size. It is hard to tell the difference at a glance. Don't worry, like most mouthbrooder fry they are fairly easy to raise up, and I'm sure you'll do great with them :). I even skip the smaller live foods and go straight to Golden Pearls on day 1 without issue.

#5 majerah

majerah

Wild Betta Tamer

• 2,226 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 05:24 PM

Thanks,Sam!Him being of yours I am sure he will follow his fathers fin prints.I will still keep an eye on him.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq