bettacrazi

Wiggler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Betta Count:3 Betta boys, 1 Betta girl
  • Total Fish Count:too many

Posted 29 February 2012 - 07:24 AM

Hi...I don't know much at all about Gourami but I think this information from the LPS fish department must be wrong and dangerous for the fish...can someone help me? If it is wrong, I plan to go have words with their manager.

They have signs on their gourami tanks saying they are labyrinth breathers and breathe from the surface. The disturbing part is that the manager wrote on the tanks "can live in BOWLS just like a betta fish". Don't gourami get too big for a bowl and anyway,
No fish should "live in a bowl".

I could be wrong but...if I am right, that manager is about to start a new craze in fish killing around here.

#2 Stormphyre

Stormphyre

UltimateBettas Veteran

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,117 posts
  • Betta Count:1
  • Referred By:Snow

Posted 29 February 2012 - 08:36 AM

Gouramis are labyrinth breathers like bettas, however, most gouramis get pretty large and wouldn't last in a bowl. But yes, generally, fish and bowls just don't mix. It's very difficult to set up what they need in a bowl.
  • Nelson and C M like this

#3 Solitarianknight

Solitarianknight

Formerly known as dimidiata

• Members
  • 4,253 posts
  • Betta Count:2
  • Total Fish Count:many
  • Referred By:the gravitational force that shrouds UB
  • Statement:luchamos por la liberación de los bettas! Las viva bettas

Posted 29 February 2012 - 12:42 PM

Your right, technically if the bowl is 10gals and heated and filtered you could do a few diffrent species(seperatley) but if we talking your average .5-1.5gal bowl, no, no fish should ever be put in that situation. Gourami for the most part like betta(cousins) require heating, Dwarf gourami themselves require filtered tanks(of atleast 10gals for 1) do to their low stress tolerance.
  • C M likes this

#4 bettacrazi

bettacrazi

Wiggler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 09:14 PM

It was really bothering me how they had these fish advertised so I went back today. Yesterday, they were in a 10 gallon filtered tank...today *gasp*, they were in those ridiculous little betta bowls...what is that, 16 ounces of water at the most?! I talked to them about the size and needs of the fish and was told "they do fine, grow to the size of the bowl and like it room temperature. Just change the water once a week." I tried over and over to reason with them but it wasn't happening. And of course on my way out I saw the poor bettas dying in their cups...I think it is time for an angry letter to corporate HQ.

#5 Stormphyre

Stormphyre

UltimateBettas Veteran

• 4,117 posts
  • Referred By:Snow

Posted 29 February 2012 - 09:54 PM

This is a chain store? o_O What chain is it?

#6 Solitarianknight

Solitarianknight

Formerly known as dimidiata

• Members
  • 4,253 posts
  • Total Fish Count:many
  • Referred By:the gravitational force that shrouds UB
  • Statement:luchamos por la liberación de los bettas! Las viva bettas

Posted 29 February 2012 - 09:55 PM

Id like to know aswell, this oughta be intresting.

#7 bettacrazi

bettacrazi

Wiggler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 11:35 PM

It is a Pet^?$%&^! chain store (don't want to be accused of slander) but it isn't all of their locations, just one of the three I have visited (there are three of them within 10 miles of where I live so out of curiosity I went to them all). The fish department staff at one of the other stores said they had never heard of gourami living like betta and in the last store the employee shrugged and said "well, I suppose in a 5 gallon it could work since they breathe air".

#8 PeachesMarie

PeachesMarie

Resident Whovian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • Total Fish Count:28 fish and some inverts
  • Referred By:google
  • Statement:The whole point of swearin' is that it ain't appropriate.

Posted 01 March 2012 - 12:18 AM

You won't have to worry about being accused of slander. We have a whole section for Petco/Petsmart/Walmart complaints and the like :)

It seems like every time I start to feel good about pet stores, I hear something like this that makes me rethink that sentiment :/
  • C M likes this

#9 bettacrazi

bettacrazi

Wiggler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 10:50 AM

PeachesMarie...I know about the rant section but I didn't want to get into that "yet" since I am so new to the forum...LOL.

I actually have a semi-positive Walmart experience. I was in there a few weeks ago buying some cleaning supplies and couldn't stop myself from going to the pet "department". They had seven bettas in cups with filthy filthy water, fuzzy mold on the half inch of uneaten flake food someone had thrown in the cups and they looked awful. Three were dead. I went and got the manager...told him I would even change the cup water if he'd let me...he said he would take care of it. he took the cups, called an employee and immediately had them taken care of. He said they had had several complaints about the fish department manager and how he cared for the fish and it was being "re-evaluated".

#10 C M

C M

Advocate for the underdogs of pet rescue

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,347 posts
  • Betta Count:Three
  • Total Fish Count:Three

Posted 25 April 2012 - 08:22 PM

It's not slander if it's a true statement. All you're saying is that they are keeping a fish in a bowl, and that's merely a fact. Stores aren't people either, so I'm not sure that even saying "that chain doesn't take care of it's animals well" could be considered slander, since you're talking about a store/corporation, and plus the statement is true.

#11 amethyst

amethyst

Alpha Betta

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,137 posts
  • Total Fish Count:An ever-changing number
  • Referred By:Carmenellie
  • Statement:All is well, all is well, and all manner of things is well.

Posted 27 April 2012 - 03:58 AM

Stores aren't people either, so I'm not sure that even saying "that chain doesn't take care of it's animals well" could be considered slander, since you're talking about a store/corporation.

According to the US Supreme Court, corporations are people, and have the same civil rights as people. I could go into a rant about that, but i'll skip it for now.

I think you're better off with the "if it's true, it's not slander" argument. Especially if you have proof, like pictures with something with the store name in the picture with the fish and bowl.

#12 Nelson

Nelson

"Happiness is a hand full of salamanders" -Palor

• Members
  • 4,841 posts
  • Betta Count:7
  • Total Fish Count:7
  • Referred By:SupersonicMuffin/Limefox
  • Statement:BLOARG! I AM A BOOK! U8<

Posted 27 April 2012 - 05:31 PM

To clarify, Sparkling Gouramis get 1.5" long and can be kept in a 2gal set up just like a betta. Not just like a betta the way most people (pet store employees) think, but like the way a betta SHOULD be kept. Heater, 0 ammonia/nitrites/nitrates, quality diet, etc.

http://www.aquaticco...i/sparkling.php

Any other species, however, gets larger therefore needing a larger tank. Guorammis range from the miniscule sparkling gourami to the giant gourami, a fish that gets over two feet!

Anyway, the way the pet store put it was extremely misleading (especially to an inexperienced fishkeeper) but has a small grain of truth to it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq