Prowlsgurl

Wiggler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Betta Count:1
  • Total Fish Count:5
  • Referred By:Google
  • Statement:"Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream." -Malcolm Muggeridge

Posted 26 February 2012 - 06:01 PM

Hi there! i have a 1.5 inch Oranada goldie who has been healthy and active until two more goldfish were added to my aquarium. We were petsitting for my sister and instead of seperating up a seperate tank my sister had the brilliant idea of cramming her fish into my tank. My Oranda had a pearl scale buddy who died after these two were added. He had a protruding bump before hand so I don't know if they had anything to do with it. But now my last guy is barely hanging on. He is constantly hanging at the buttom and hiding away. One of the fish she added is very dominant and has taken control after my Pearlscale died and is bullying my guy. The only hospital tank I have right now is a 2.5 gallon, the tank my sister had 2 goldfish in! I know this isn't the right forum but would a 2.5 gallon tank last until next weekend. I'd be willing to do whatever maintence is necessary. Right now it looks like there is nothing abnormal about his body, just lethargic behavior. Thanks!

Update:
Instead of placing the Oranda in there, I decided on putting the bully in there. My Oranda is doing much better with just the other little guy. But now the bully fish is just laying in the 2.5 gallon.

Edited by Prowlsgurl, 26 February 2012 - 09:25 PM.

#2 WigglePuppy

WigglePuppy

Alpha Betta

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,228 posts
  • Betta Count:4
  • Total Fish Count:enough....I think

Posted 27 February 2012 - 09:14 AM

This is most likely ammonia poisoning, but just to be sure go test your water for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate.
  • Nelson likes this

#3 Nelson

Nelson

"Happiness is a hand full of salamanders" -Palor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,843 posts
  • Betta Count:7
  • Total Fish Count:8
  • Referred By:SupersonicMuffin/Limefox

Posted 27 February 2012 - 06:37 PM

^ I agree. How large is the tank you had them in? Fancy goldfish need a minimum of a 20 gallon tank with 10 gallons added on for every fancy goldfish added, as adults. Obviously juvies can be kept in smaller tanks but honestly not by much.

What is your water change schedule?
How many gallons is the tank and is it filtered?
Is the tank cycled?
Are your sisters goldfish common (single tailed) or fancy (two tails)?

Get the goldfish out of the 2.5 gallon. Go out and get a 10gal or larger storage container from WalMart or anywhere else that sells them, usually less than $20 for something like that. Make THAT your hospital tank. It's substantially cheaper than a glass tank, lighter than glass, and less breakable. If you keep him in the 2.5gal he may suffer severe ammonia poisoning by next weekend.

Please gently inform your sister about goldfish care and their needs. Warn her that by keeping them in that 2.5 gallon, she will kill them. I can link you to tons of goldfish resources and web sites if you'd like. :)

#4 Prowlsgurl

Prowlsgurl

Wiggler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Statement:"Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream." -Malcolm Muggeridge

Posted 28 February 2012 - 07:07 PM

^ I agree. How large is the tank you had them in? Fancy goldfish need a minimum of a 20 gallon tank with 10 gallons added on for every fancy goldfish added, as adults. Obviously juvies can be kept in smaller tanks but honestly not by much.

What is your water change schedule?
How many gallons is the tank and is it filtered?
Is the tank cycled?
Are your sisters goldfish common (single tailed) or fancy (two tails)?

Get the goldfish out of the 2.5 gallon. Go out and get a 10gal or larger storage container from WalMart or anywhere else that sells them, usually less than $20 for something like that. Make THAT your hospital tank. It's substantially cheaper than a glass tank, lighter than glass, and less breakable. If you keep him in the 2.5gal he may suffer severe ammonia poisoning by next weekend.

Please gently inform your sister about goldfish care and their needs. Warn her that by keeping them in that 2.5 gallon, she will kill them. I can link you to tons of goldfish resources and web sites if you'd like. :)

Thank you very much! I don't know if she'll take it seriously. She doesn't have room in her apartment so the most those two will end up with is a 10 gallon I gave for her to keep them in or most likely the 2.5 gallon since it takes up less space. But since she has my 10 gallon tank at the moment, I have no other hospital tank, I feel sorry for these fish. Right now all the fish seem to be doing fine so I put them back into the normal tank. To answer your questions:

What is your water change schedule? 50% water change once a week
How many gallons is the tank and is it filtered? It is a 20 gallon with the filter it came with and we thought it beneficial to add a filter for 10 gallons since goldfish are messier. I'm not sure if it's beneficial at this time.
Is the tank cycled? No, I never cycled my tank.
Are your sisters goldfish common (single tailed) or fancy (two tails)? All of the fish in there are fancy. I believe her's are Calico fantails and mine is an Oranda. The largest one is 2 inches. I know I'll have to upgrade for sure later on with my Oranda but since he is only 1.5 inches now and seems to have plenty of room.

#5 Prowlsgurl

Prowlsgurl

Wiggler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 07:08 PM

This is most likely ammonia poisoning, but just to be sure go test your water for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate.

I had a feeling it was that. I will be going to the pet store after these fish are gone this weekend to get everything checked out. And once the tank is stable again, I will probably be getting a new little buddy for him.

#6 WigglePuppy

WigglePuppy

Alpha Betta

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,228 posts
  • Betta Count:4
  • Total Fish Count:enough....I think

Posted 28 February 2012 - 07:45 PM

What is your water change schedule? 50% water change once a week

Is the tank cycled? No, I never cycled my tank.

There is no way fish would be alive if these two things were true. Your tank is cycled, though it has likely crashed because you suddenly doubled the bioload in an already overstocked tank.

#7 Prowlsgurl

Prowlsgurl

Wiggler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 10:24 PM

Really? I don't recall cycling it like I've heard about before. Hmm... and they're gone this weekend, but on my guy I think it's a little too late. I'm just trying to keep him comfortable. After this I'd like to get some more fish, but I definitely wan to get my tank stable before anything.

There is no way fish would be alive if these two things were true. Your tank is cycled, though it has likely crashed because you suddenly doubled the bioload in an already overstocked tank.

#8 Susurro

Susurro

Loves bettas more than people

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,745 posts
  • Total Fish Count:1
  • Referred By:The Interweb
  • Statement:"The mind is everything. What you think you become." - Siddhartha Gautama

Posted 29 February 2012 - 10:57 PM

Tanks will naturally develop a cycle if kept long enough and only partial changes are done with filters running. It isn't really safe for the fish, but it will cycle. I actually had a cycled tank before I knew what cycling was and how to do it because we did 10% water changes on the first 10 gallon tank my fiance and I had together.

#9 Prowlsgurl

Prowlsgurl

Wiggler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 07:35 AM

Tanks will naturally develop a cycle if kept long enough and only partial changes are done with filters running. It isn't really safe for the fish, but it will cycle. I actually had a cycled tank before I knew what cycling was and how to do it because we did 10% water changes on the first 10 gallon tank my fiance and I had together.

That would explain it then since we've had this tank running for a year or two with 25% water changes. Well that's good to know.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq