Student fish breeder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts
  • Betta Count:20 ish
  • Total Fish Count:A Pleothara
  • Referred By:N/A

Posted 25 February 2012 - 03:58 AM

So I first got interested in wild bettas while reading a betta book and coming across a macrostoma thinking it looked awesome. I have jumped into albimarginata care as a precursor to keeping macrostoma. I am extremely pleased with my albimarginatas, they are my favorite fish. They have me excited now to try macrostomas. I have seen macs for sale for the first time in just the last few weeks. The wet spot wants 180 for a pair, and I have seen another pair going for about 150. Whats about the going rate for macs right now? And what should I know when purchasing? Is it better to get wilds for genetic reasons? I'm saving money now and looking into starting a tank for macs. I was thinking a 40 gallon breeder. How should the tank be set up?

#2 sde09001

sde09001

Crowntail

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • Betta Count:4
  • Total Fish Count:25

Posted 25 February 2012 - 10:11 AM

Never had macs personally but I know someone who has. GHoing rate from what I've seen is 125 for a pair plus shipping, a little more if you're getting them from within the states. Tank set up should be like any betta, lots of plants for cover and some floaters to help prevent jumping.

#3 majerah

majerah

Wild Betta Tamer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,262 posts
  • Betta Count:lotz and lotz
  • Total Fish Count:27 ish.
  • Statement:"O holy one, cast thy purifying light upon this corrupt soul... Rest in peace, sinners! Judgment!"

Posted 25 February 2012 - 12:36 PM

I personally like to get captive bred ones.They are more hardy and seen to really enjoy peoples company.You can get cheaper if you look for unsexed juvies.They will be about four months old whereas adults are usually almost a year old.Housing for them just depends on wild or captive tbh.Wilds will need water more in the low ph range,lots of IALs and hide spots.Capitve bred seem happy in a heavily planted tank but the ph isnt as critical.Also mine are in tap water.When purchasing see if you can see the actual fish.A sign of poor health in macs is cloudy eyes,so look for that.Shows if they have been kept up on the waterchanges or not.

Another good thing about captive bred is they are usually on pellets and frozen as opposed to the live.Makes life easier lol.

#4 brianjim

brianjim

UltimateBettas Veteran

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,547 posts
  • Betta Count:Lots and Lots
  • Total Fish Count:Even more
  • Referred By:myself
  • Statement:It's all fun and games till someone puts their eye out.

Posted 25 February 2012 - 01:47 PM

Albis are a lot different that Macs. The Unimaculta complex fish are more outgoing and friendly, more like an Oscar. I have had wild Macs and they are more susceptible to disease. I would go for domestic bred. I have seem Macs range from 100pr. to 250pr. It really depends on how available they are and what time of year it is. Younger fish are easier to acclimate so as Majerah suggested get unsexed if you can find them. They are quite the jumper so it is to your benefit to keep a tight lid on the tank and cover all holes.

#5 coder

coder

Student fish breeder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 10:41 PM

Thanks guys, good advice. I'll post pictures once I've made a setup.

#6 coder

coder

Student fish breeder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 05:04 AM

I have mountain tap water that is extremely hard, and ph well above 8. Pretty sure macrostoma, or any unimac complex won't be happy with that. My LFS sells RO water for .20 a gallon that I have been using in my albi, and invert tanks. I am trying to create a large habitat with macrostomas in mind with perfect conditions, what kind of PH buffers should I put in place? I know drift wood for sure, but what kind of substrate if any should I use? What about peat? Any suggestions or successes from the experts?

#7 brianjim

brianjim

UltimateBettas Veteran

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,547 posts
  • Betta Count:Lots and Lots
  • Total Fish Count:Even more
  • Referred By:myself
  • Statement:It's all fun and games till someone puts their eye out.

Posted 29 February 2012 - 03:22 PM

I put Canadian peat (the best, and make sure no additives) in a nylon sock and add it to the tank. It works great for me. Substate is your choice or none at all.

#8 Namor

Namor

Veiltail

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts
  • Referred By:BrianJim

Posted 01 March 2012 - 01:56 PM

Use Kent RO Right to get the TDS ppm to around 100. I use it to keep my blackwater species (B. coccina & L183) tanks stable.

I've never kept macs before (but I do have 6 coming pretty soon) and understand they aren't technically considered a blackwater (soft & acidic) species, but they do come from waters that were tested pretty close to blackwater specs. However, the same can be said of albimarginata, and I keep and breed them in water that is ph 7.6 and ppm 160, which is not as soft or acidic as their home waters.

I do the same as Brian and place peat in a bag and toss is right in the tank. IAL or oak leaves are also handy to leech tannins into the water.

Since you don't have an RO system, you might consider buying a small trashcan (Brute has a nice lill 10 & 20 gallon can)and fill it with RO water, reconstitute it with Kent RO Right, and toss is a large filter media bag (or nylon stocking) full of peat. When you do your water changes the water will be the same parameters. This is how I pretreat my water for blackwater species and my reservoir stays at ph 5.9 - 6.1.

Edited by Namor, 01 March 2012 - 02:09 PM.

#9 coder

coder

Student fish breeder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 09:06 PM

This is the start of my build that will hopefully house some macrostoma in the not too distant future. It's a 40 gallon breeder, filled 2/3 full with RO water, Malaysian drift wood, and one side red sea planting substrate (buffers 6.5 - 7.0)(thinking of leaving one side of tank bare bottom) I have a sponge filter, 36" T5 strip (not HO), penguin 350 powerfilter which I may or may not run. I was thinking I would put a nylon sock with peat in the power filter, but I might just replace it with a second sponge filter. I'm planing on adding frog bit and duck weed. I'm growing java moss, and christmas tree moss and some misc plants that I will add too as other tanks grow more cuttings. To the water I added a small amount of mineral hardener since it is all RO water, Prime, Start Zyme, and inian almond extract. I'm planning on adding a UV sterilizer and heater when funds replenish.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#10 majerah

majerah

Wild Betta Tamer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,262 posts
  • Betta Count:lotz and lotz
  • Total Fish Count:27 ish.
  • Statement:"O holy one, cast thy purifying light upon this corrupt soul... Rest in peace, sinners! Judgment!"

Posted 04 March 2012 - 09:10 PM

Nice chunk of wood!

If your interested I may have some plant I can send ya for shipping cost in a week.I may have a plantlet of a barclaya longefolia which is a type of lily.It has awesome long leaves the macs just adore hiding in.

#11 coder

coder

Student fish breeder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 10:07 PM

Wow that is so nice of you majerah, I would love to do that. If you have a paypal acount I can send you some money to cover whatever your costs might be and your trouble.

Edited by coder, 04 March 2012 - 10:21 PM.

#12 coder

coder

Student fish breeder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 02:25 AM

So concerning keeping macrostomas, is a trio prefered to a pair?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq