Photo

Fahaka puffer

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 Synirr

Synirr

Sanity and happiness are an impossible combination.

• Root Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,904 posts
  • Betta Count:Some
  • Total Fish Count:Lots

Posted 21 February 2012 - 01:16 PM

William and I visited a different local fish shop on Sunday, and oooooomg, they had the cutest baby fahaka ever. He was coming up to the front glass to beg for food, following our fingers, and just being terribly adorable. They were priced super cheap and I teased Will that he should get it, not knowing that he had a genuine interest. Long story short, we have a fahaka now. :laff:

He had a couple of ich spots, so he is currently in quarantine with a UV sterilizer. He is disgustingly cute y'all, like you wouldn't believe. It usually takes a while for these guys to settle in to a new home, but this one is already active and gorging himself on pond snails. He is not shy either, definitely one of the most personable little babies I have ever seen :wub:

Has a few bite marks from the larger fahaka he was being housed with, but I'm sure he'll heal up quickly.
Posted Image

Eating snails
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zng2y9Px9Fg&feature=youtu.be

#2 big54bob

big54bob

Losing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts
  • Betta Count:1 M 'Monkey Puzzle'
  • Total Fish Count:1, 2, STAND STILL FISHIEZ
  • Referred By:Charlie Sheen's Coke dealer
  • Statement:*burpfartsneezesnoreslurp*

Posted 21 February 2012 - 06:42 PM

I hate you.

#3 LilGreenPuffer

LilGreenPuffer

Yeah, I'm "that girl with the fish."

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,006 posts
  • Betta Count:1
  • Total Fish Count:4
  • Referred By:Google
  • Statement:My mission is to make your day a little more surreal.

Posted 21 February 2012 - 08:53 PM

OMFG, you got a fahaka on an impulse? JEALOUS. I'd have to plan for months and months and get someone to check my floors to make sure they can support 120g+ and all that. :(

Little teeny puffers that are future giant monsters are so stinkin' cute.

#4 sarahberry

sarahberry

Sarah Berry

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
  • Betta Count:1- Edgar Blutbod
  • Total Fish Count:1
  • Statement:RIP Bitsy.

Posted 22 February 2012 - 09:32 AM

Holy crickets, he's cute! And did he just suck the snails right out of those shells?! Now I know what Bitsy was trying to do when she had snails! :)

#5 Synirr

Synirr

• Root Administrator
  • 12,904 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 12:01 PM

Hey, hey... William got a fahaka on impulse, I just didn't say no :P. We were planning to get one eventually, but it happened sooner than expected. I think we are becoming like the crazy fish couples I see at work, who have aquariums instead of children. :sleep:

125g is really not that big of a deal, the majority of floors can support that no problem since the weight distribution is similar to a bunch of guys standing shoulder-to-shoulder, and obviously anything that can't support that would be unsafe for house parties and such, nevermind heavy furniture and aquariums. We'll be moving to a bigger place in June or July (whenever our lease is up, I forgot,) and I was planning to upgrade my oscar to 125g+, so we're already in the market for something with strong flooring... just have to make sure we find a place with room for (at least) 3 large setups! Right now the little guy is living in a 10g, which is like a mansion since he's currently about 1" long, and there's a 40g in storage that we can set up for him later. He shouldn't be able to outgrow that before we get him a bigger home.

#6 LilGreenPuffer

LilGreenPuffer

• Members
  • 7,006 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 12:27 PM

From what my fahaka-owning friends say, those little boogers grow an inch per month for the first year of their lives or so, so he might outgrow the 10g very very very fast - or get stunted sooner than expected.

#7 Stormphyre

Stormphyre

UltimateBettas Veteran

• 4,117 posts
  • Referred By:Snow

Posted 22 February 2012 - 12:34 PM

He's so adorable x3
Even if it does grow an inch a month, she's moving in 4-5 months. She's got plenty of time to get a bigger tank going for him to upgrade into.

#8 LilGreenPuffer

LilGreenPuffer

• Members
  • 7,006 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 12:41 PM

Yeah, the 40g ought to be plenty till summer. I was just thinking that the tenner won't last long.

#9 WigglePuppy

WigglePuppy

Alpha Betta

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,209 posts
  • Betta Count:5
  • Total Fish Count:enough....I think

Posted 22 February 2012 - 01:09 PM

125g is really not that big of a deal, the majority of floors can support that no problem since the weight distribution is similar to a bunch of guys standing shoulder-to-shoulder, and obviously anything that can't support that would be unsafe for house parties and such, nevermind heavy furniture and aquariums.

I had a friend once tell someone afraid a 90 gallon would be too heavy "no different than a sleepover of girls all on the same bed goofing off, they don't end up on the lower floor suddenly!"

#10 Synirr

Synirr

• Root Administrator
  • 12,904 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 01:11 PM

From what my fahaka-owning friends say, those little boogers grow an inch per month for the first year of their lives or so, so he might outgrow the 10g very very very fast - or get stunted sooner than expected.

Um, yeah. At which point he'll move into the 40g. Even if he manages to reach 6" by the time we move and can upgrade him, he should have plenty of room... right now he would get lost in that tank, not to mention that the UV sterilizer can clear up the ich faster and more effectively in a smaller body of water, so the 10g makes sense. Between William and I, I certainly hope we are not stupid enough to stunt him... though I probably shouldn't tell you about the ~40 macrostoma I have in another 10g growout tank. :coverlaff:

I haven't raised up a large puffer myself, but I do have enough experience with these guys in the store to know how fast they grow. Here's a video taken by my boss of Magoo the Mbu, my favorite fish at work, who we watched grow up from a little 4" baby. He's still only... 15-18" or so? He recognizes me specifically and gets excited because he knows I will feed him crayfish :wub:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0H2rpCPSh00
  • Maryanne likes this

#11 LilGreenPuffer

LilGreenPuffer

• Members
  • 7,006 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 01:21 PM

Magoo's adorable! Puffers are so cute at feeding time, with their ever-open mouths. :coverlaff:

#12 Harlequin

Harlequin

Novice

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 951 posts
  • Betta Count:None
  • Total Fish Count:0

Posted 22 February 2012 - 02:50 PM

This might be a silly question, but why does that tank in the video look like it's being rocked back and forth? Is the filter just running that much water?
Also, ADORABLE puffers!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq