Big Red

Sexy Vixen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,616 posts
  • Betta Count:2
  • Total Fish Count:2
  • Referred By:No one
  • Statement:Impossible? Things are happening everyday!

Posted 19 February 2012 - 03:19 PM

Hey guys! Long time no see! I have a quick question. My female betta, Terra, is now all alone in a ten gallon. It's fully cycled with a sponge filter and I was just wondering if it would be an okay idea to get some corydoras habrosus to add to the tank. Terra is just a little over an inch long at almost two years old. I just want to make sure I won't be overstocking the tank. I don't think I would be. I've always wanted some corys and I thought corydoras habrosus would the best because they are the smallest cory.

#2 NeroX

NeroX

Wiggler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 07:59 PM

That sounds like an awesome idea actually. I've heard a good fish to tank ratio is something like 1 inch per Gallon. So if your Terra is almost 2 inches you could definitely add 3-5 Corys comfortably. They would defintely make nice tankmates too where corys are generally bottom dwellers and Bettas are more-so surface dwellers. Anyway, if you decide to get some, hope it all goes smoothly! =]
  • brianjim likes this

#3 brand09

brand09

Super-Delta

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  • Betta Count:20+
  • Total Fish Count:52
  • Referred By:web

Posted 19 February 2012 - 08:51 PM

I have three albinos corys in my 20g long and everything is good with them and bettas

#4 Kendra

Kendra

Betta Love Doctor

• Members
  • 1,885 posts
  • Betta Count:Growing
  • Total Fish Count:Growing
  • Referred By:My betta
  • Statement:Good in some, evil in all, is the reason why humans will fall.

Posted 19 February 2012 - 09:05 PM

Hello Big Red! :D

A small group of smaller cories can work in a 10 gallon, and since you said it was filtered and cycled that will work. :)

#5 LilGreenPuffer

LilGreenPuffer

Yeah, I'm "that girl with the fish."

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,006 posts
  • Betta Count:1
  • Total Fish Count:4
  • Referred By:Google
  • Statement:My mission is to make your day a little more surreal.

Posted 19 February 2012 - 09:48 PM

That sounds like an awesome idea actually. I've heard a good fish to tank ratio is something like 1 inch per Gallon. So if your Terra is almost 2 inches you could definitely add 3-5 Corys comfortably. They would defintely make nice tankmates too where corys are generally bottom dwellers and Bettas are more-so surface dwellers. Anyway, if you decide to get some, hope it all goes smoothly! =]

No, the inch-per-gallon rule is useless and dangerous. Also, three cories is too few. They're schooling fish.

Big Red, just a quick word of warning - my friend adopted one of my rescued bettas and added a school of eight pygmy cories to the 10g tank. They were all battered to death. o.0 Might happen to you, might not.

Edited by LilGreenPuffer, 19 February 2012 - 09:48 PM.

• PeachesMarie likes this

#6 Big Red

Big Red

Sexy Vixen

• Members
  • 1,616 posts
  • Betta Count:2
  • Total Fish Count:2
  • Referred By:No one
  • Statement:Impossible? Things are happening everyday!

Posted 19 February 2012 - 10:25 PM

Thanks guys. I'm still not sure whether or not I'll do it. I'm worried about Terra possibly catching something by adding new fish even though I would quarantine them. And she looks so happy having an entire ten gallon to herself. :D

#7 NeroX

NeroX

Wiggler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 09:03 AM

No, the inch-per-gallon rule is useless and dangerous. Also, three cories is too few. They're schooling fish.

Big Red, just a quick word of warning - my friend adopted one of my rescued bettas and added a school of eight pygmy cories to the 10g tank. They were all battered to death. o.0 Might happen to you, might not.

Oh okay I'll keep that in mind thanks, what would be a more correct fish to tank ratio? Also, that's good to know; I didn't know corys we're schooling fish. Then again I don't really know much about many other fish than Bettas, and even with Bettas I've still got a lot to learn =P

#8 LilGreenPuffer

LilGreenPuffer

• Members
  • 7,006 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 09:10 AM

There's no set ratio. Different fish have different needs based on how much they poop, how thick their bodies are (which ties in with how much they poop, though it's not a direct correlation), their activity levels, how territorial they are, and so forth. Another consideration is tank shape - for example, some fish need longer tanks for a longer straight swimming path because of their swimming patterns in the wild, while others need lots of depth (front to back) for turning room because of body shape.

If you don't know, it's best not to say something without checking if it's true first. :) Especially when an animal's welfare might depend on it. :)
  • PeachesMarie likes this

#9 NeroX

NeroX

Wiggler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 12:55 PM

Yes I agree, very true.

I guess it also depends on the personality of the Betta too for each of them unique.
I once had a Betta living happily with other schooling fish like Neon Tetras, and the Tetras lived a full and happy life with the Betta as well (who was male surprisingly). There was also one guppy who would constantly follow him around, almost clinging to his sides as if he was the King of the Tank or something. He was never bothered. It was funny in a sad way though because after the betta passed on the guppy looked as if he didn't know what to do with his life anymore. He'd mainly just chill at the bottom.. eventually just letting himself go.

Anyway, so I guess I just thought Corys and Bettas might be all right tank mates depending on how aggressive and territorial Terra is.

#10 LilGreenPuffer

LilGreenPuffer

• Members
  • 7,006 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 01:04 PM

Cories could be good betta tankmates. It's really the luck of the draw sometimes.

#11 brianjim

brianjim

UltimateBettas Veteran

• 2,547 posts
  • Betta Count:Lots and Lots
  • Total Fish Count:Even more
  • Referred By:myself
  • Statement:It's all fun and games till someone puts their eye out.

Posted 20 February 2012 - 06:10 PM

corydoras habrosus would be a good fit for a 10g. 5 is a good school to start with. Even adding other small fish would not overcrowd your tank. Something to watch out for is how long your female has been alone and developed a territorial defense of her aquarium.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq