Wiggler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
  • Betta Count:1
  • Total Fish Count:1
  • Referred By:no one

Posted 14 February 2012 - 02:04 PM

My poor Couch has had inflamed gills and i thought cleaning his water would help. Well now his scales are slightly raised and im freaking out thinking its dropsy...! I read that theres no cure for it but does anyone know of ways to tell if its actually dropsy? He kinda just swims around occasionally. He has plants but he spends a lot of time on the bottom... He's in a 1.5 gallon tank and I change his water every 4 days. The water stays at 77 degrees and he has a light. I feed him pellets b/c he has constipation issues. His tummy is a little swollen too... Help me please! I've had my little guy for 3 years now and I'm rather attached to him. I dont want him to die :( Ive included some picture but its really hard to show his scales... They're not lifted too much but its noticeable.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 Kysti

Kysti

Wiggler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 09:19 AM

Im really disappointed. Not one single person has tried to help me! Even if it is dropsy you could at least help me try to make him comfortable...

Edited by Kysti, 15 February 2012 - 09:21 AM.

#3 pLutorium

pLutorium

Fry

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • Betta Count:2
  • Total Fish Count:2
  • Referred By:Peter, NeroX

Posted 15 February 2012 - 10:43 AM

Hey there Kysti, I'm sorry to hear about your boy Couch. :(
It is hard to see the raised scales from the pictures provided, so I am unable to give a "diagnosis"... However, since he seems to spend most of his time at the bottom, and only occasionally swims around, I would lower the water level to make it less difficult for him to get oxygen. Poor boy... I would also increase the temperature if you can, to about 80-82. Anything to make him more comfortable.

I'm afraid that's all I can offer, apart from my concern for Mr. Couch (can I call him that? Lol). I really do hope he pulls himself together! He's such a beautiful boy, and I can only imagine how great your attachment is to Couchy. I've only had my boy for 3-4 months and I am already soo in love with him!

Get well Couch! <3

#4 Synirr

Synirr

Sanity and happiness are an impossible combination.

• Root Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,904 posts
  • Betta Count:Some
  • Total Fish Count:Lots

Posted 15 February 2012 - 11:05 AM

Sorry to hear Conch is ill. Dropsy is edema, and is more of a symptom than a disease in and of itself. Adding a bit of aquarium salt to his water may help him eliminate some of the excess fluid buildup from his body, but as far as what's causing it, it's hard to say. Sometimes it is due to internal infection, and in rare cases treating with antibiotics can save the fish, but most often it is a sign of renal failure. If this is the case then there's not much more you can do than make him confortable. I'm sorry, that's all the information I have to give you :(

#5 Nereus

Nereus

Fry

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • Betta Count:Plague proportions
  • Statement:Fish die belly upward, and rise to the surface. It's their way of falling.

Posted 15 February 2012 - 06:24 PM

I had a betta who suddenly developed dropsy, and became very ill in the course of a couple of days. Since he had come from a less than stellar LFS I hit him with de-wormer. The only ones readily available over here are for livestock, but I believe you have a lot more options over there.

This was used in conjunction with a healthy dose of epsom salt. I figured he was dying anyway so anything was better than nothing.

5 or so months later my boy is still with me and has never shown any other sign of disease. Luckily for me it was only a bad load of parasites, but it is an option if you're desperate like I was.

#6 marko

marko

Alpha Betta

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,002 posts
  • Betta Count:many
  • Total Fish Count:too many

Posted 15 February 2012 - 09:16 PM

like synirr said its a symptom (the buildup of fluid within the fishs tissues, in this case the body cavity). it could be caused by hepatic (liver) failure as well as renal (kidney) failure like Synirr mentioned. but, the failure of an organ is not a disease, but a symptom as well, and its hard to guess the underlying disease. i had a male who developed dropsy and it disappeared quickly after using antibiotics and melaleuca(melafix, a light antibacterial and antifungal extracted from melaleuca genus plants ), its worth a shot to try it as it could be a bacterial infection.

i would dose antibiotics (the broader the spectrum, the better), increase temperature to 82-84, dose salt, and dose melaleuca. wouldnt feed, and would do daily WC in a 1gal plastic container (shallow is good).
NOTE: melalueca is controversial, as some people believe it has hurt their bettas. this is entirely possible as it does have some toxicity, but it is my opinion that it harms the pathogens significantly more than the fish (at correct dosage). just wanted to give you a full picture.

its possible that the infection (if an infection) is fungal, but fungi are very resilient and take longer to respond to treatment so it would probably kill you betta before the antifungals kicked in, and antifungals are much more stressful to animals than antibiotics, and the combined stress of antibiotics and antifungals could kill the betta itself before the infection does.

#7 Kysti

Kysti

Wiggler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 09:32 PM

Well I cleaned his tank out really good last night and just dosed him with kanaplex. The info on its box even included dropsy. So I will be cleaning his tank daily and dosing him with kanaplex and hope for the best. He has salt in his tank. Thanks for helping me. I dont wanna lose my little guy even if he is an old grumpy boy lol. He's my buddy so I'm willing to try anything. I'm thinking I might try bettafix in a small dose since its a little more diluted. he's old so im careful what I give him. Im just kind of concerned because just last week I was dosing him with a very small dose of kanaplex for fin rot since he had that again... this poor fish. I saved him from walmart (bad I know) and he's had issue after issue since I got him. I hope he gets better. Thank you all for your suggestions.

Edited by Kysti, 15 February 2012 - 09:32 PM.

#8 Kysti

Kysti

Wiggler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 02:56 PM

I'm sad to say that couch appears to be getting worse... His scales are raised up even farther now :(

#9 marko

marko

Alpha Betta

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,002 posts
  • Betta Count:many
  • Total Fish Count:too many

Posted 16 February 2012 - 10:02 PM

if you just started dosing antibiotics, it wouldnt have taken much affect yet.

#10 pLutorium

pLutorium

Fry

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 07:50 AM

How's he holding up today?

Also, a question...
Do tell us about the meaning behind is name? :D

#11 Kysti

Kysti

Wiggler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 08:26 PM

Well he's still alive. His scales are still pretty raised though :( Controversial or not I added some bettafix but less than the bottle recommends. He's still on the kanaplex. Crossing my fingers...!

His name is Couch because I'm a psych major and upon trying to figure out what to name him my mom suggested naming him after my favorite psychologist. I dont really care much for the classical psychologists though so he had no name for like a week. However, my favorite professor had a diorama in his office that was labeled "the worlds greatest psychologists." It included Freud, Jung, Anna Freud, and "the couch" you know like the silly couch you always see in movies when therapists tell patients to lay down? Ya he's named after that couch haha. He's my little psychology fish :P

#12 pLutorium

pLutorium

Fry

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 08:51 PM

That is so cute! Very clever. I love psychology!

Hoping to hear some positive updates about Couch within the next few days.

Edited by pLutorium, 17 February 2012 - 08:52 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq