#1 Ciddian

Ciddian

MMmmmmmemeewwooo :3

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,527 posts
  • Referred By:Chris

Posted 12 February 2012 - 10:22 AM

Omg you guys, maybe some of you can help or have experienced this before?

my dads cat Max has been attacking his rear and tail aggressively for a while now and my dad is pretty damn upset about it. From what I have been reading it sounds a lot like twitch skin syndrome?

http://www.petmd.com...=2#.Tzfl8oEn7Dc

He took the cat to one vet three times and the guy recommended some additives to his food thinking it was bad skin. So my dad did that for a while but its been still going on. Its getting to the point of Max digging his own claws into his rump.

I would appreciate any info you guys could give.. this cat is my dads world :/

#2 WigglePuppy

WigglePuppy

Alpha Betta

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,232 posts
  • Betta Count:4
  • Total Fish Count:enough....I think

Posted 12 February 2012 - 10:36 AM

Has a food allergy been absolutely ruled out? Anal gland problems completely ruled out? If it is indeed FHS it would definitely be worthwhile to try some meds (and while that's being tried, but an E collar on the cat to stop further damage and possibly break the cycle of self injury. FHS is possibly a form of epilepsy so it wouldn't hurt to try antiseizure medications. You could also try antidepressants (yes, cats can take prozac too!) and even some sedatives in the short term. Just because there has been no evidence that FHS is a neurological problem doesn't mean there is nothing electrical going on in the brain that either hasn't been searched for in EEGs or that has just doesn't show up in any EEGs people might have done on these kinds of cats.

I am epileptic and can have a form of seizure in front of people (severe muscle contractions but I am fully awake) while my head is hooked up to several dozen wires taking an EEG trying to find the electrical disturbance in my brain and it just can't be found! While I'm seizing! Now I'm not saying your cat is epileptic, just suggesting that if a vet says they can't find a neurological problem in your cat doesn't mean one isn't there hiding well.
  • Nelson likes this

#3 Ciddian

Ciddian

• Super Moderator
  • 14,527 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 03:20 PM

dad told me today that he has taken max to another vet who said that it might be a neurological issue but they will need to rule out everything else before they take that route.

As soon as my dad is able he is going to take Max back to ask the vet about what they think. We've had two cats in our extended family that had seizing issues as well. I wonder if that would come into question or not.

Thx for your feedback, i'll let dad know :)

#4 Solitarianknight

Solitarianknight

Formerly known as dimidiata

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,255 posts
  • Betta Count:2
  • Total Fish Count:many
  • Referred By:the gravitational force that shrouds UB
  • Statement:luchamos por la liberación de los bettas! Las viva bettas

Posted 12 February 2012 - 06:35 PM

My dog started doing something similar a few years back, she would chew and scratch at her behind nonstop. It turned out she has a chronic yeast condition, her body over produces it. It ended up spreading all over her body though, shes pretty bald. Is the cat loosing any fur back there?

Also, how old is he, how long have you had him and whats his diet, aswell as(if possible)breed?

Edited by dimidiata, 12 February 2012 - 06:36 PM.

#5 Ciddian

Ciddian

• Super Moderator
  • 14,527 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 07:02 PM

I am pretty sure we are not dealing with a yeast issue since my moms dog also has this problem but I am hoping the vet does rule it out. (or maybe prove it is..)

Maxy gets the whole spooked and dash around thing, he hides a lot which is not normal. My dad was next to tears this morning about it.. :/

#6 glasshaven

glasshaven

Halfmoon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 763 posts
  • Betta Count:20+
  • Total Fish Count:LOL
  • Referred By:Google/Facebook

Posted 12 February 2012 - 07:02 PM

Has the vet ruled out impacted/infected anal glands?

#7 Ciddian

Ciddian

• Super Moderator
  • 14,527 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 07:06 PM

the first vet figured it was dry skin. Dad brought max three times and finally just found a new vet who was suggesting Prozac, I would assume she would check for infected glands, bloodwork, allergies. etc etc but I am not sure what has been done yet.

I am kinda trying to find out how to keep these episodes from happening or making them better until we find a cause/solution. dad tries to play with max and keep him distracted when its happening, he works long hours so hes terrified to home home and find the poor cat covered in blood or something.

#8 Lustra

Lustra

Veiltail

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts
  • Total Fish Count:0

Posted 12 February 2012 - 08:10 PM

My cat has this. She's not on any meds for it since its every once in awhile she has an "attack." When I described her aggressively biting her back paws like it was "attacking" her to her vet, he said theres not much we can do. Shes a healthy, happy kitter other than this problem.

#9 Ciddian

Ciddian

• Super Moderator
  • 14,527 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 08:33 PM

Is your cat a ...more naturally calm cat? Max face is, lets say... if he was a human he would be a very needy, loud and loving toddler. LOL

It seems to be very frequent, dad says he cant even pet Maxy right now without something happening. Dad explained something that happened this morning and it was when max came out to chat, like he usually does but an attack came along and the cat slunk away. Dad feels that he knows that he is close or is starting to go through an attack and finds a place to calm down.

I worry a lot about this because its one of the few anchoring things in my dads life. My dad is going through a lot of stresses.. its just hard to find his little baby in sucha difficult situation.

I am going to keep up with my dad, hopefully he finds more out soon.

#10 Lustra

Lustra

Veiltail

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts
  • Total Fish Count:0

Posted 12 February 2012 - 08:54 PM

Kiki is normally pretty level headed for a cat. She does have her bipolar moments. She's pretty independent and however, she will seek me out to sit in my lap at night before bed.

Her "attacks" are about once a month to every other month or so. She bites her back legs and runs away from it. Once the episode is over with, she does seek me out for reassurance. I thought her condition had to do with her feline herpes. She was near death as a 4 week old kitten from a nasty URI when I adopted her. She can not see out of her right eye because the retina detached.

#11 Ciddian

Ciddian

• Super Moderator
  • 14,527 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 12:33 PM

Max face had an x ray or scan and the vet said something looked odd with one of his vertebrate, one looked a bit sharp so he's on some sort of inflamtion med and starting a medication for the twitch skin I think. Dad couldnt tell me exactly what it was...

Hopefully it works. :) I found out my cousin put down her cat for a twitch skin problem the other day.. :( My dad wont be able to do that and I dont feel he should.

Hopefully in about two weeks we should see a difference. Fingers crossed for Maxy.

#12 majerah

majerah

Wild Betta Tamer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,265 posts
  • Betta Count:lotz and lotz
  • Total Fish Count:27 ish.
  • Statement:"O holy one, cast thy purifying light upon this corrupt soul... Rest in peace, sinners! Judgment!"

Posted 18 February 2012 - 01:09 PM

Good luck,Hope Max recovers!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq