Photo

I want to start a revolution!

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

Poll: I want to start a revolution! (13 member(s) have cast votes)

If you went into a store and saw a sick dieing Betta, what would you do?

1. Nothing (1 votes [7.69%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.69%

2. Say something to a employee (7 votes [53.85%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 53.85%

3. Take a picture and spread the news (5 votes [38.46%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 38.46%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 R.I.P. Lunar

R.I.P. Lunar

Egg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 01:21 AM

For too long Bettas have been disregarded as simple pets. They are kept in small cramped containers, with their on waste and uneaten food. They begin to develop diseases that are killer and incurable.

I had a case like this. Today, 2-10-12, my Betta, Lunar, died from a combination of Anchor worms, dropsies, velvet, jungle fungus, tail rot, and open sores because of the "amazing" quality care provided by Pet Smart staff. I bought him 9 days ago! He was healthy, alive, vibrant, but within 2 days, the very diseases and parasite that he had living within him, came out. One week and 130 dollars later, he died. I went and spent over a hundred dollars in medicine, and not even the best medication the Pet Smart had, did anything to save him. I don't want pity, or revenge, no I want change.

These beautiful fish deserve more than 2 x 2 inches homes, with centimeters of filth on the bottom. They need space and living things with them, not blue PVC for 5 walls. The very water that comes from the goldfish tanks is recycled for the Bettas.

Starting today, I'm starting a campaign against the large scale corporate stores, that thing nothing of these magnificent, and quite frankly, more than fish. To some, a Betta is nothing more than another colorful fish, but to others, they are a sign of hope.

I'm Junior Rodriguez, a sophomore in Chapin High School, and I want justice. I may be young, and I may be foolish, but I know what is wrong and what is right.

Join me in any way you can, whether it be buying every Betta out of a store, or taking pictures of the horrible conditions, and spreading them around, so that they reach those high positions in the companies. I will go around and spread the word.

Save the Betta!

Edited by R.I.P. Lunar, 11 February 2012 - 07:35 PM.

#2 Nelson

Nelson

"Happiness is a hand full of salamanders" -Palor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,841 posts
  • Betta Count:7
  • Total Fish Count:7
  • Referred By:SupersonicMuffin/Limefox
  • Statement:BLOARG! I AM A BOOK! U8<

Posted 11 February 2012 - 09:50 AM

I'm so sorry for your loss. I love your enthusiasm!

Though I would suggest never advocating someone buy bettas from a pet store that neglects them. That is called a sympathy purchase and literally pays the store for their cruelty. What you should do I haggle with them and demand the betta for free or severely discounted or not buy it at all and expose their cruelty.

If its Petcos they have a facebook. You can take photos of the conditions and send it to corporate and plaster it all over their wall. Usually when you report a large store to corporate they investigate and make positive changes.

You can also hand out care sheets and help educate people by directing them here. :)
  • RandomWiktor, Susurro and sarahberry like this

#3 Stars

Stars

Sushi is delicious.

• Members
  • 4,235 posts
  • Betta Count:Hamlet
  • Total Fish Count:1
  • Referred By:Aquarank
  • Statement:I see no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil.

Posted 11 February 2012 - 03:42 PM

Yes, its devastating. :( especially now that 'baby' bettas are coming around. god. :pull_hair:

But you know, one of the things about pet-stores is selling sick fish is advantages for them. Bettas cost around $3-$10 only, they can't make any money of livestock. But, medication/accessories on the other hand go for around $15-20, a couple of these babies means a hundred bucks per customer. If you buy a fish, it means you will buy a tank, the accessories and possibly later, medication. As a former pet-store employee, I know this as a fact since when I attempted to add medication to tanks with fish who had finrot, my manager explained why I didn't need to.

A great way to combat mass production of fish is really, not to visit these pet-stores and buy their sh!t. Buy your meds/accessories at good pet-stores, stores without livestock or order them online.
  • RandomWiktor likes this

#4 R.I.P. Lunar

R.I.P. Lunar

Egg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 07:41 PM

I'm so sorry for your loss. I love your enthusiasm!

Though I would suggest never advocating someone buy bettas from a pet store that neglects them. That is called a sympathy purchase and literally pays the store for their cruelty. What you should do I haggle with them and demand the betta for free or severely discounted or not buy it at all and expose their cruelty.

If its Petcos they have a facebook. You can take photos of the conditions and send it to corporate and plaster it all over their wall. Usually when you report a large store to corporate they investigate and make positive changes.

You can also hand out care sheets and help educate people by directing them here. :)

That's a good idea, but it sounds cruel to the employees. I'd rather just go straight to the source and post of Facebook.

And how do i do that? I'm not the most tech-savy person.

But thank you for actually commenting.

#5 R.I.P. Lunar

R.I.P. Lunar

Egg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 07:49 PM

Yes, its devastating. :( especially now that 'baby' bettas are coming around. god. :pull_hair:

But you know, one of the things about pet-stores is selling sick fish is advantages for them. Bettas cost around $3-$10 only, they can't make any money of livestock. But, medication/accessories on the other hand go for around $15-20, a couple of these babies means a hundred bucks per customer. If you buy a fish, it means you will buy a tank, the accessories and possibly later, medication. As a former pet-store employee, I know this as a fact since when I attempted to add medication to tanks with fish who had finrot, my manager explained why I didn't need to.

A great way to combat mass production of fish is really, not to visit these pet-stores and buy their sh!t. Buy your meds/accessories at good pet-stores, stores without livestock or order them online.

Are you serious? They really do that... That makes me so... GRAH!

I'm going to get them back for that!

#6 Fishball7

Fishball7

Egg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 09:49 AM

So how are you spreading the word exactly?

#7 RandomWiktor

RandomWiktor

I put the "fun" in fundamentalist!

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,480 posts
  • Betta Count:8
  • Total Fish Count:Between several and many.
  • Referred By:I was sucked in by UB's gravitational force.
  • Statement:We weep for a bird's cry but not for a fish's blood; blessed are those with a voice.

Posted 12 February 2012 - 01:21 PM

The very water that comes from the goldfish tanks is recycled for the Bettas.

FTR, if an employee is doing this, it is against corporate policy and needs to be reported.

I am in the odd position of working for "the enemy" and also caring very much about bettas. I go out of my way to ensure the health of the bettas in our store, and also do a great deal of owner education. I still take tremendous issue with the way bettas in chain stores are housed and marketed, however, and would love to see that change. The $$ is your vote: do not do business with stores that care for their bettas poorly, do not buy gimmicky little betta tanks and discourage those you know from doing the same, and reward stores, breeders, and vendors who take proper care of their fish with your sales.
  • sarahberry likes this

#8 R.I.P. Lunar

R.I.P. Lunar

Egg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 02:19 PM

So how are you spreading the word exactly?

Sadly, not much. I'm trying to go around of different websites and spread it there, but so far this is the only one that seems to be getting attention.

#9 R.I.P. Lunar

R.I.P. Lunar

Egg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 02:21 PM

FTR, if an employee is doing this, it is against corporate policy and needs to be reported.

I am in the odd position of working for "the enemy" and also caring very much about bettas. I go out of my way to ensure the health of the bettas in our store, and also do a great deal of owner education. I still take tremendous issue with the way bettas in chain stores are housed and marketed, however, and would love to see that change. The $$ is your vote: do not do business with stores that care for their bettas poorly, do not buy gimmicky little betta tanks and discourage those you know from doing the same, and reward stores, breeders, and vendors who take proper care of their fish with your sales.

Really? I could use that!

Well it's good news to hear someone out there is trying to help. I was thinking about working for the store, but then another person whi had worked for a petstore told me of there situation.

#10 Fishball7

Fishball7

Egg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 06:28 PM

Sadly, not much. I'm trying to go around of different websites and spread it there, but so far this is the only one that seems to be getting attention.

What sort of websites? And spreading the word, do you mean conditions of betta living or the 'revolution'?

#11 LilGreenPuffer

LilGreenPuffer

Yeah, I'm "that girl with the fish."

• Members
  • 7,006 posts
  • Betta Count:1
  • Total Fish Count:4
  • Referred By:Google
  • Statement:My mission is to make your day a little more surreal.

Posted 13 February 2012 - 07:30 PM

These are really nice sentiments, Lunar. But please be prepared for a long, hard haul. Lots of us are already engaged in advocacy and rescue work, and it's very difficult to get anyone to listen or change anything. I'm afraid that the way America works is through a capitalist economy, which means that making money is the goal, even at another's expense. I guess you could make an Occupy Wall Street comparison. Capitalism hurts the underdogs (or underfish). Unless people reevaluate and change their lives' goals, pet stores will keep spreading misinformation and making huge profits off of mistreating animals.

I also agree with the folks who suggested NOT buying mistreated bettas. There are other ways to help them that don't involve giving your money to their abusers. For example, one time, I found a sickly betta in a local store, and since I knew the manager, I offered to help him clip a bird's wings in exchange for the fish - which he wouldn't have been able to sell anyway because it looked so bad. I brought the fish home without giving him a dime, took care of the fish until it was healthy again, and then gave him to 1fish2fish, who spoiled him rotten. You can also boycott, complain to managers, write to corporate offices, or talk to people who you see buying tiny dangerous novelty tanks for bettas.

#12 R.I.P. Lunar

R.I.P. Lunar

Egg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 10:27 PM

These are really nice sentiments, Lunar. But please be prepared for a long, hard haul. Lots of us are already engaged in advocacy and rescue work, and it's very difficult to get anyone to listen or change anything. I'm afraid that the way America works is through a capitalist economy, which means that making money is the goal, even at another's expense. I guess you could make an Occupy Wall Street comparison. Capitalism hurts the underdogs (or underfish). Unless people reevaluate and change their lives' goals, pet stores will keep spreading misinformation and making huge profits off of mistreating animals.

I also agree with the folks who suggested NOT buying mistreated bettas. There are other ways to help them that don't involve giving your money to their abusers. For example, one time, I found a sickly betta in a local store, and since I knew the manager, I offered to help him clip a bird's wings in exchange for the fish - which he wouldn't have been able to sell anyway because it looked so bad. I brought the fish home without giving him a dime, took care of the fish until it was healthy again, and then gave him to 1fish2fish, who spoiled him rotten. You can also boycott, complain to managers, write to corporate offices, or talk to people who you see buying tiny dangerous novelty tanks for bettas.

Yeah i know... I need to do something big...

That could at least be a start.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq