OwenL

Wiggler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Betta Count:13 and counting
  • Total Fish Count:It's growing by the week

Posted 10 February 2012 - 07:28 PM

Ahh What do I do? I'm sort of panicking. I just found my male Channoides holding eggs! They've only been in the tank for 2 weeks! I dont even know if he ate enough during that time. Should I force him to release?

#2 majerah

majerah

Wild Betta Tamer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,226 posts
  • Betta Count:lotz and lotz
  • Total Fish Count:27 ish.
  • Statement:"O holy one, cast thy purifying light upon this corrupt soul... Rest in peace, sinners! Judgment!"

Posted 10 February 2012 - 08:24 PM

I would try to gently remove the female without disturbing him,and leave him be.After he releases then feed him well to fatten him up.

#3 OwenL

OwenL

Wiggler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 09:23 PM

Thank you Majerah. Since I don't have a spare tank set up with an established biological filter, Do you think it would do her any bad if I set up a new tank to temporarily house her now? (I saw her chase the male. Although she's got some torn fins of her own).

#4 majerah

majerah

Wild Betta Tamer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,226 posts
  • Betta Count:lotz and lotz
  • Total Fish Count:27 ish.
  • Statement:"O holy one, cast thy purifying light upon this corrupt soul... Rest in peace, sinners! Judgment!"

Posted 10 February 2012 - 11:22 PM

I think if you do the waterchanges to keep it safe levels(using a test kit of course to check)she will be fine.

ANd NP :)

#5 Nereus

Nereus

Fry

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • Betta Count:Plague proportions
  • Statement:Fish die belly upward, and rise to the surface. It's their way of falling.

Posted 11 February 2012 - 04:54 AM

None of my wild betta tanks are cycled as the water is just too soft and the pH too low. I just do small water changes every second day and have never had any issues with water quality. Your female should be fine in an uncycled tank as long as you maintain it.

My channiodes male has held essentially the whole time I've owned him (about a month, he's spawned twice). However, after his last lot of fry he refused to have anything to do with the female until he had had about a week of recuperation.

I think if your male was starving he would just swallow the eggs. Most animals generally have a sense of self-preservation.

Congrats on the spawning though! I've found my channiodes eat their fry so you might want to remove the parents if you manage to get some.

#6 brianjim

brianjim

UltimateBettas Veteran

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,538 posts
  • Betta Count:Lots and Lots
  • Total Fish Count:Even more
  • Referred By:myself
  • Statement:It's all fun and games till someone puts their eye out.

Posted 11 February 2012 - 08:52 AM

Congrats on the spawn. The female may chase the male because she is ready to spawn again. If she isn't moved or separated he will swallow the eggs he has. I would move some of the plants and water from the old tank to a new tank and put the female in it. There will be enough of the cycle going that she should be fine. Still, check the ammonia level every few days.

#7 Namor

Namor

Veiltail

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts
  • Referred By:BrianJim

Posted 12 February 2012 - 08:03 PM

You could just put her in a breeder box inside the tank you have.

#8 OwenL

OwenL

Wiggler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 02:32 AM

Thank you for all the suggestions. I'm a little worried about moving things around too much.. I tried to catch her the other day and the male panicked. now his mouth doesn't look as full as it did 3 days ago. :( I might try the breeder box idea maybe it's less invasive if i can just coax her into it instead of chase her with a net.

By any chance, does anyone know what's going on with the yahoo group for IBC?

#9 brianjim

brianjim

UltimateBettas Veteran

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,538 posts
  • Betta Count:Lots and Lots
  • Total Fish Count:Even more
  • Referred By:myself
  • Statement:It's all fun and games till someone puts their eye out.

Posted 13 February 2012 - 10:44 AM

What do you mean?

#10 Nereus

Nereus

Fry

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • Betta Count:Plague proportions
  • Statement:Fish die belly upward, and rise to the surface. It's their way of falling.

Posted 13 February 2012 - 01:59 PM

If your female will come to live/frozen foods, I would use a pair of tweezers and coax her into the breeding box that way (if you choose that option). Much less stressful than a net. I have a plastic box with sliding sides, so all I have to do is slide one of the sides out, lure the fish in, and then slide the sides down.

Luckily my bettas are greedy and have not yet picked up on that particular trick.

However, my female channiodes never bothered my male the whole time he was holding. However, he goes into serious 'dad holding' mood so chases her away if she gets too close. I left them in together and had no issues with him swallowing eggs. The only issue I had was them eating fry, but I didn't want any at that point in time, so didn't bother removing them.

#11 OwenL

OwenL

Wiggler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 12:08 AM

Thank you for everyone's suggestions and advice! My male has finally released. The fry are inside a netbox in the same tank as the parents. They are surprisingly bigger than what I was expecting (Maybe just my experience with betta splendens.) I was reading another post/thread about fry care and I have been feeding them frozen bbs since I have no clue how to find live brine shrimp and frozen bbs was the only thing petsmart had. :-/ :) I hope I can raise the fry to juvie-hood!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq