Egg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Betta Count:3
  • Total Fish Count:9

Posted 06 February 2012 - 02:44 AM

Hey all,
Just wondering if someone could help me out here? I have just bought a few new Betta's and I cannot for the life of me work out what colour they are or what tail type they are! The male is a Royal Blue Veil Tail(I think?) But his tail fin got damaged last night thanks to a plastic plant... The two females I just can't work out! All are bought from a pet shop.

Regal (Before Damage)
Posted Image

Regal (After Damage, to better show colour!)
Posted Image

Blizzard (Best Picture I could get, her fins are REALLY hard to see!)
Posted Image

And last, but not least Ruby (She appears red with iridescence when vertically barred btw)
Posted Image

Would love to know what I've got here, especially the girls!! Unknown breeding, so I can't supply information on bloodlines etc. Would love everyone's opinions on my new additions. P.S Ruby was eating when I took the picture.
Thanks Everyone!

#2 PeachesMarie

PeachesMarie

Resident Whovian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • Betta Count:2
  • Total Fish Count:28 fish and some inverts
  • Referred By:google
  • Statement:The whole point of swearin' is that it ain't appropriate.

Posted 06 February 2012 - 03:30 AM

Regal is definitely a veiltail and I think the two girls are also veiltail. I think that because I can only count two branches on their rays. Someone who knows girls better than I do might be able to say otherwise

#3 -CP-RegalBettas

-CP-RegalBettas

Egg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 07:09 AM

Regal is definitely a veiltail and I think the two girls are also veiltail. I think that because I can only count two branches on their rays. Someone who knows girls better than I do might be able to say otherwise

Thanks PeachesMarie! I'm beginning to think 'Blizzard' is a young VT, and 'Ruby' is a Plakat. 'Ruby' is MUCH stockier then most VT's I've seen, but I've also never owned females before... Would really love opinions on colour as well.

#4 Maryanne

Maryanne

UltimateBettas Veteran

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,850 posts
  • Betta Count:Enough.
  • Total Fish Count:Many!

Posted 06 February 2012 - 10:23 AM

Regal is a royal blue VT

Blizzard is a copper female. I can't see the ray branching so she is either a veiltail or a delta. There aren't many copper vts out there, so i'm not sure.

Ruby is a traditional multicolor plakat female. Her anal fin is very tight and even.

#5 -CP-RegalBettas

-CP-RegalBettas

Egg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 06:15 PM

Regal is a royal blue VT

Blizzard is a copper female. I can't see the ray branching so she is either a veiltail or a delta. There aren't many copper vts out there, so i'm not sure.

Ruby is a traditional multicolor plakat female. Her anal fin is very tight and even.

Wow!! Thank-you so much Maryanne! I will get a better picture of Blizzard. I am not sure what Ray Branching is? Ruby is my favourite for personality, but she's very stressy. Blizzard is a whiz. She scoots around her tank like theres no tomorrow. It's cute!

#6 -CP-RegalBettas

-CP-RegalBettas

Egg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 06:27 PM

I struggled to get a better picture... After 20 odd shots I FINALLY got this one!
Posted Image

Could someone explain 'Ray Branching' to me?

#7 Maryanne

Maryanne

UltimateBettas Veteran

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,850 posts
  • Betta Count:Enough.
  • Total Fish Count:Many!

Posted 06 February 2012 - 06:49 PM

She's a delta :)

So you see how coming from her body there are those thick essentially "tree trunks" that branch out to fringes at the end of the tail?

Well to count rays, you follow one of the trunks and count the number of branches touch the edge of the fin from that trunk, so she would be a 4-ray fish. Now if you look at Ruby, and follow one of her trunks, you'll see that it just forks once and creates a "Y" shape. She would be a 2-ray fish.

Veiltails and traditional plakats have 2-rays, Deltas have 4+ with Halfmoons being a special case of deltas.

#8 -CP-RegalBettas

-CP-RegalBettas

Egg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 08:49 PM

Thats really informative! So I've got a VT, Plakat and a Delta. Such a different mish mash of fish! Regal and Blizzard came from the same pet shop, But Ruby came from an Aquarium Shop.(They had a STUNNING Torquise Cambodian female in the pet shop I got Bliz from. Tempted to go back and get her hehe)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq