Stars

Sushi is delicious.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,235 posts
  • Betta Count:Hamlet
  • Total Fish Count:1
  • Referred By:Aquarank
  • Statement:I see no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil.

Posted 04 February 2012 - 11:18 PM

I recently came across this brand of betta food called Xtreme Aquatic Foods Betta Fish Food PeeWee Professional (long name!) that look similar to Omega One Betta Buffet (my fav betta food brand) and after scanning the fish ingredients, it seems like a decent pellet brand. The online price is exactly the same for Omega One.

Anyways the ingredients:

Not for human consumption. Krill Meal, Fish Meal, Herring Meal, Shrimp Meal, Wheat Middlings, Wheat, Rice Meal, Wheat Flour, Distillers Dried Grains with Soluables, Brewers Dried Yeast, Spirulina, Paprika, Limestone, Xanthophyll, Fish Oil, Lecithin, Salt, Vitamin A Acetate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, di-Alph Tocopheryl Acetate(Vitamin E Supplement), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin, Niacin, Caldium Pantothenate, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex(source of Vitamin K activity), Folic Acid, Thiamine Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Biotin, Manganese Proteinate, Zinc Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Calcium Iodate, Iron Proteinate, Cobalt Proteinate, Calcium Carbonate, Sodium Selenite, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate(source of Vitamin C), Canthaxanthin, Astaxanthin, Beta Carotene

The ingredients seems decent, it would have been better if it wasn't krill meal, fish meal, herring meal and etc. It does have great ingredients like spirulina, fish oil and various vitamins/minerals which is not included in Omega One. I think that if combined with Omega One (which has whole fish meat instead of something meals) this would a really nice staple mix. Both are pretty cheap to buy too which is a big big bonus for many of us!

What do you guys think? Anyone tried this brand? I just thought I share this little find.

#2 Maryanne

Maryanne

UltimateBettas Veteran

• 8,850 posts
  • Betta Count:Enough.
  • Total Fish Count:Many!
  • Referred By:google

Posted 05 February 2012 - 08:40 AM

Do you have the information on the nutritional content? The kind of things you want to look for are protein - high protein foods are better for younger fish than older fish and Ash - the lower the better.

Just going by the ingredients you won't learn much about a food.

#3 Stars

Stars

Sushi is delicious.

• Members
  • 4,235 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 03:19 PM

Other info is in the link, I was too lazy to paste everything.

It has a min. of 38% protein which is pretty good IMO, not overtly high or low. You can find the other stuff at their site, it says they guarantees less than 10% of ash and fat content of higher than 5% but lower than 10%. Seems pretty decent.

Edited by Stars, 05 February 2012 - 03:21 PM.

#4 VelvetDragon

VelvetDragon

we build the wall to keep us free

• Administrator
  • 5,871 posts
  • Referred By:haley
  • Statement:I believe -- I believe -- everyday's a good day when you paint

Posted 06 February 2012 - 12:48 AM

Actually, meal is better. Meal is the meat without the moisture content. If it was just "krill" it would mean inclusive of water content, which would mean it wasn't really the first ingredient, once the water got cooked out. So meal is exactly what you want to see. However, in most foods you want to see the meal as a NAMED meal, i.e. salmon meal, not fish meal. However, you really hardly ever see that in fish food.

I personally have stayed away from Astaxanthin as an ingredient for a long time, due to something a former staff member -- Chuck, a fish breeder extraordinaire -- said. It's a color-enhancing vitamin that he found was linked to higher cases of kidney failure. I don't know how true that is, but I've stayed away from it anyway, since there are several good fish foods without it. YMMV.

#5 Savage Destiny

Savage Destiny

Juvie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  • Betta Count:4
  • Statement:Peace, Love, and Pit Bulls

Posted 13 February 2012 - 09:11 PM

Actually, meal is better. Meal is the meat without the moisture content. If it was just "krill" it would mean inclusive of water content, which would mean it wasn't really the first ingredient, once the water got cooked out. So meal is exactly what you want to see. However, in most foods you want to see the meal as a NAMED meal, i.e. salmon meal, not fish meal. However, you really hardly ever see that in fish food.

This! The same is true for dog and cat food. :) Personally, I'm way more turned off by the multiple grain ingredients- and low quality grain at that. Wheat middlings? Really? "Distillers Dried Grains with Soluables"- that's floor sweepings from a brewery. Not going to be feeding my fish that, thanks.

#6 Stars

Stars

Sushi is delicious.

• Members
  • 4,235 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 09:26 PM

I'm way more turned off by the multiple grain ingredients-

Now you mentioned it, it does have a lot of grain. Daw, I really thought it was other cheap good brand but I guess compared to Omega One, Omega One is more worth your $.

I was always told to avoid fish/shrimp meal so I assumed it was just meal in general! But I guess if its a named meal, its decent too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq