OwenL

Wiggler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Betta Count:13 and counting
  • Total Fish Count:It's growing by the week

Posted 03 February 2012 - 10:48 PM

I just have to get this off my chest. Last week I was at walmart browsing around at 1 am. I just happened to be in the pet section looking at the ingredients of the rabbit pellets that they had. (I usually buy from local feed store) out of the corner of my eye I saw a kid shaking one of those betta cups. He saw me look and put it down and ran away. I was so horrified I ran to the betta section and put all the betta cups at the highest levels so the kid or any kid couldn't go back and shake more bettas and of course there weren't any workers nearby since it was 1 am. :( Ack. Where was that child's parent! Ok I won't be going back to the pet section of walmart anytime soon. sigh.

#2 SquishyBettax4

SquishyBettax4

Proud Betta Aficionado/Hobbyist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 987 posts
  • Betta Count:2 (for now)
  • Total Fish Count:2
  • Referred By:I too was sucked in by UB's gravitational force.
  • Statement:"I don't have a short temper, I just have a quick reaction to bulls**t."

Posted 04 February 2012 - 09:47 AM

I read your title and gasped out loud.

That is horrifying not to mention why in gods name was a child alone in Walmart when he should have been supervised AND in bed at 1 am.

I would have lost it and tried to follow him to whomever he came in with. Ugh!

#3 WilliamTeoh100

WilliamTeoh100

Wiggler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Betta Count:1
  • Total Fish Count:3
  • Referred By:Will

Posted 04 February 2012 - 03:47 PM

Chase after the kid? What happen to the Bettas though? I HATE those cruelty moments. I remember last year at my local petsmart, a dog ran loose and jumped on a woman holding 2 oscars in the bag. Both of the oscars died,because of the dog accidently stepped on the oscars. The customer was fighting with the other customer violently in a bad tempered way until two cop cars showed up to control the situation. Urgh, it was published on our local newspaper the next day (DailyHerald).

I would chase and stop the kid (in a good way) and report to an official. I would also help the Bettas and check if they are alright.

Edited by WilliamTeoh100, 04 February 2012 - 03:48 PM.

#4 aus

aus

Wiggler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Referred By:google

Posted 04 February 2012 - 04:42 PM

Yet imagine the public outcry if someone stuffed that child in a plastic barrel and shook it til its teeth rattled.

>: )
  • glasshaven and Emie like this

#5 OwenL

OwenL

Wiggler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 08:34 PM

Chasing after the kid wouldn't have done anything and would've made me look like a pedophile. Everyone always believes children. I did get a look at the bettas and they all looked stressed and some looked skinnier than should have been. That was a superwalmart I was at. There were barely any workers around. Although they might've been stocking. I didn't stay for much longer. I just made sure the fish were out of easy reach.
  • tereghan, sarahberry and glasshaven like this

#6 PeachesMarie

PeachesMarie

Resident Whovian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • Betta Count:2
  • Total Fish Count:28 fish and some inverts
  • Statement:The whole point of swearin' is that it ain't appropriate.

Posted 05 February 2012 - 12:35 AM

That's horrible! I wonder if maybe the betta was lethargic and the kid thought shaking the cup would get it to move? That's not defending the kid in the slightest; shaking the cup is not excusable behavior whatsoever. I'm just trying to figure out what the kid was thinking.

#7 SquishyBettax4

SquishyBettax4

Proud Betta Aficionado/Hobbyist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 987 posts
  • Betta Count:2 (for now)
  • Total Fish Count:2
  • Referred By:I too was sucked in by UB's gravitational force.
  • Statement:"I don't have a short temper, I just have a quick reaction to bulls**t."

Posted 05 February 2012 - 09:44 AM

Did anyone see me mention chasing the kid? Or notice that I mentioned finding out whomever he was with?

I guess my statement/ reaction wasn't obvious enough to point out checking on the betta would have been a crucial first step.
  • Nelson likes this

#8 glasshaven

glasshaven

Halfmoon

• Members
  • 763 posts
  • Betta Count:20+
  • Total Fish Count:LOL
  • Referred By:Google/Facebook

Posted 05 February 2012 - 12:04 PM

Living in the area where Shawn Hornbeck was abducted, living down the road from Ben Ownby- you won't see anyone in these parts following a kid around a store or otherwise ;)

Edited by glasshaven, 05 February 2012 - 12:05 PM.

#9 OwenL

OwenL

Wiggler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 01:07 PM

A few of us did mention about chasing the kid, but more than likely we won't. The reason, as i've stated already - an adult especially a guy chasing after a kid will look like a pedophile and no matter what you do, the kid can always come back at you and say " he was trying to ____ me" and then instead of it being an advocacy for bettas, you would just end up looking like a criminal for trying to hurt the child. Even at that point, after putting the bettas in a higher level the kid was nowhere to be found. I just left walmart, a bit upset at what happened.

#10 WilliamTeoh100

WilliamTeoh100

Wiggler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Betta Count:1
  • Total Fish Count:3
  • Referred By:Will

Posted 05 February 2012 - 03:31 PM

I don't care what you look like??? Also the security cameras will also HAVE THE PROOF if though the child is saying **** to you.
And security cameras are around the mall and probably caught the child shaking betta cup.

If chasing is out of the list, you should yell "HEY THAT KID IS KILLING BETTAS" The people on duty will hear it.

Edited by WilliamTeoh100, 05 February 2012 - 03:33 PM.

#11 PeachesMarie

PeachesMarie

Resident Whovian

• Members
  • 781 posts
  • Betta Count:2
  • Total Fish Count:28 fish and some inverts
  • Statement:The whole point of swearin' is that it ain't appropriate.

Posted 05 February 2012 - 04:01 PM

Somehow I don't think Wally World employees would care all that much if he yelled. Frankly, I think Owen did the right thing. He got the kid away from the bettas (obviously the kid knew he was doing something wrong if he ran away after Owen saw him) and checked on the bettas and moved them immediately afterward. The bettas health > than catching the kid, imo. He could have talked to management about it, but what's done is done and I doubt they would have cared all that much anyways. It's Walmart, they aren't exactly known for being the most caring types when it comes to animal care.

Edited by PeachesMarie, 05 February 2012 - 04:02 PM.

• RandomWiktor, tereghan and sarahberry like this

#12 OwenL

OwenL

Wiggler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 04:49 PM

Thanks Megan. I wish things would improve overtime and that bettas wouldn't be stocked in those plastic cups especially at a major chain store like Wally World. The good thing is that out of the 4 walmarts within 10 miles range from me, only 1 has a fish center that has the bettas. and I agree with you all, the kid shouldn't have been out that late to begin with and shouldn't have been unsupervised like that. I suppose it's questionable how his parents raise him if he is out wandering about at walmart at 1 am then it's easy to conclude that they didn't yet teach him how to be good to animals.
  • tereghan likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq