#1 Namor

Namor

Veiltail

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts
  • Referred By:BrianJim

Posted 03 February 2012 - 09:22 AM

I was wondering if anyone here has had any luck breeding any of the B. coccina complex aside from BrianJim (Betta tussyae I think)?

Iím not having any luck getting my B. coccinas to spawn so far. I got my initial rev. trio of adults about six months ago, and the seller told me he had found fry of different size in their tank, and sure enough, the photo I asked for of their tank had a few fry swimming around and there was a bubble nest visible that had been worked into some floating water sprite. I added 6 wild caught fish from the WetSpot a month or so ago. They had these fish in quarantine for 6 weeks, so I felt comfortable that they were healthy and added them to my tank.

I keep my 9 B. coccina in a 10 gallon tank at 76 F with a ph of 6.5 and hardness of 110 ppm. Now, I know what you might be saying, ď9 fish in a 10 gallon tank!?!Ē I thought the same thing, but in emailing back and forth with Ted Judy, who has spawned these fish, he had a colony of 5 B. coccina in a 2.5 gallon so full of java fern and java moss he said the fish had to wiggle like works to move around, so I figured a 10 gallon would suffice for 9, 6 of which are around the 1 inch size, so perhaps not fully mature (no clue what age coccina complex becomes sexually mature).

I feed them frozen brine and blood worms, with live blackworms and live bbs from time to time. I also add golden pearls once in a while.

I change the water once a week at about 40%.

All my fish seems fine, are colored up nicely, are active, eating, and beebobping around the tank, hanging out in the little black film canisters I have floating in the tank (but not blowing bubble nests), which is FULL or riccia, najas grass, anubias and driftwood. My lighting is also an old strip light, so the light is pretty diffused, so low light, shadowy environment. My substrate is black sand with IALs. My water reservoir for my blackwater fish is aged in a 20 gallon drum full of R/O water reconstituted with Kent R/O Right to 100 ppm and a large filter media bag full of Sera Peat Granules and has a ph of 6.0.

I am sure I have males and females. The males have a spade shaped caudal fin, females' fins are rounded

So, any tips???????

#2 OwenL

OwenL

Wiggler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Betta Count:13 and counting
  • Total Fish Count:It's growing by the week

Posted 03 February 2012 - 10:05 PM

It sounds like you're doing everything right. I suppose just wait a little longer? I'm gonna need the same advice to eventually get my brownorums to breed. So far they stay away from each other and I'm sure 1 is male the other is female.

I'm not an expert in betta keeping so this might be a no no but what I am familiar with is with keeping and breeding cichlids, maybe try not to do so many/high of a water changes? Whenever I had cichlids breeding was usually when I left the water alone. 40% water change seems like an awful lot for a week try maybe 20-30%?. Maybe the mere disturbance keeps them off? Again this is just my hypothesis. hehe it could be something else.

Bump.

#3 Psybock

Psybock

Growing up in the Swamp has it's advantages...

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,876 posts
  • Betta Count:Splendens < Wild
  • Total Fish Count:Fish > Money
  • Statement:MADNESS!!!!!!

Posted 03 February 2012 - 10:12 PM

Add RO water that hasn't been given any mineral reconstitution. It'll be much like rainwater at this state and may induce them to spawn. I had chocolate gouramis years ago and the only time I managed to get a spawn from them was after harvesting rainwater and pouring it into the tank after a storm one spring afternoon. If you limit the amount you use it won't screw with the pH bad enough to kill anything. Besides, these fish have been found in pH's much lower, they wouldn't be out of place in a pH of 5.0. However, just leaving them for a 2 or 3 weeks without a water change and then doing a water change might induce spawning (think rainy season). They're tough little buggers and can handle a bit of experimenting. I used a piece of cork tube(about 3x6 inches) along with the canisters in my palangkarayas and they seemed to prefer the cork tube (black pvc might also be substituted). With my palangs getting them to spawn wasn't the problem once I figured it out, getting the eggs to actually hatch was my issue, my males seemed to be egg munchers for some reason... Oh, another option is to roll an IAL like a tube and use a rubber band to hold its form and try that...

Kevin

#4 OwenL

OwenL

Wiggler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Betta Count:13 and counting
  • Total Fish Count:It's growing by the week

Posted 03 February 2012 - 10:38 PM

Psybock, (on a quick side note)That is exactly what I did with cichlids. Leaving the water alone for a bit= dry season, then doing a water change=rainy season=season of plenty. I can't see why it wouldn't hurt to try it with the bettas. It always induced spawning with cichlids. Anyhow Good tip! Couldn't have said it better.

#5 brianjim

brianjim

UltimateBettas Veteran

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,547 posts
  • Betta Count:Lots and Lots
  • Total Fish Count:Even more
  • Referred By:myself
  • Statement:It's all fun and games till someone puts their eye out.

Posted 04 February 2012 - 11:00 AM

Your not overcrowded. Do what Psybock said and it wouldn't hurt to do the water change when you have a storm coming in to your area. I used to do this for my B. Persephone and they would start making nests right after.

#6 Namor

Namor

Veiltail

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 03:49 PM

Okay, update time.

Thanks you for the advice. I received similar advice from others and put it to action.

I was advised to spike the temp to 80F - Done

I was advised to do WC with pure RO water - Done

I was advised to rid the tank of snails and to move my ancistrus - Done

I have seen some behavioral changes in that the makes are "dancing" aound the film canisters (often with their nose down) and are overall more active. I've seen a few go to the surface and blow out a few big bubbles, but no efforts on a full bubble nest.

Overall, their behavior is changing, not sure if this means anything of significance, but it is noticeable.

#7 Psybock

Psybock

Growing up in the Swamp has it's advantages...

• 1,876 posts
  • Betta Count:Splendens < Wild
  • Total Fish Count:Fish > Money
  • Statement:MADNESS!!!!!!

Posted 16 February 2012 - 11:44 AM

document it so you can know next time what to do in case you can't get a spawn, you'll eventually figure out what seems to work the best

#8 Namor

Namor

Veiltail

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 02:53 PM

Still not a single bubble nest =(...

#9 Nereus

Nereus

Fry

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • Betta Count:Plague proportions
  • Statement:Fish die belly upward, and rise to the surface. It's their way of falling.

Posted 22 February 2012 - 03:28 PM

Try a feed of live worms and a water change using cold water. It's what I do to get any of my wilds to spawn and it seems to work well. I have successfully spawned persephone, rutilans and uberis using this method, as well as my other non-related species.

#10 Namor

Namor

Veiltail

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 04:23 PM

Score! Came home this evening and found a bubble nest full or eggs. Thanks for the dry/wet season advice, it seemed to do the trick.

Getting these fish to spawn was a challenge. I'm over the moon it has finally happened. Now hopefully in a few days I'll have some fry.

Posted Image

Edited by Namor, 28 February 2012 - 11:01 PM.

#11 Namor

Namor

Veiltail

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 09:19 PM

bump for OwenL

#12 majerah

majerah

Wild Betta Tamer

• 2,260 posts
  • Betta Count:lotz and lotz
  • Total Fish Count:27 ish.
  • Statement:"O holy one, cast thy purifying light upon this corrupt soul... Rest in peace, sinners! Judgment!"

Posted 27 March 2012 - 04:40 AM

Congrats!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq