Lady_Dragon

Egg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Referred By:Search

Posted 31 January 2012 - 09:06 AM

Aloha again everyone!

So I'm working on an interesting new development. I bought some Bettas from a new source on AquaBid, and the shipment finally made it in a couple days ago... I am reasonably satisfied with the results, but it definitely changes my game plan quite a lot.

I am happy with the quality and over all health of the fish, VERY happy with the trans shipper (fantastic job she did, expensive but worth it!) however the problem being that the seller SENT THE WRONG FISH!!!

I had ordered a pair of solid white big ears, and black dragons... I got a very pretty pastel marble big ear male, a red GIANT female, and a GIANT female Black Dragon. This annoys me since I wanted (and ordered) something rather specific and ended up with some things I most certainly did NOT want (Marble and Red... Neither of which apeals to me, and I would have liked to avoid as I wa purchasing to breed for big ear black dragon)

I must admit the giant trait does appeal to me, and I had inquired about the giants he had available, but did not like any he sent me photos of... Since they were all reds. So it really annoys me that I ended up with a red giant female, since I specifically discussed NOT wanting them. The Giant black dragon female however intrigues me.

Anyway- griping aside- I am trying to salvage the situation. I now have a very big eared male rosetail in mostly lavender pastel marble.... (I also have a stunning solid white metallic HM male with modestly larger than normal pectorals) and this big black dragon female...

The goal is big ear black dragon...
But my worry is that the female is significantly larger than all my males in terms of BODY size (the long fins on the boys make them appear larger, but she is easily a "full size larger" in terms of body length and width) how big a factor will that size discrepancy make in breeding then?

I assumed you wanted the male to be the larger fish with Bettas.

Also do black dragons get breeding bars? my only breeding experience is 1 hatch of solid whites... And with the solid white females they don't get bars...

Any insights?

#2 Maryanne

Maryanne

UltimateBettas Veteran

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,850 posts
  • Betta Count:Enough.
  • Total Fish Count:Many!
  • Referred By:google

Posted 31 January 2012 - 09:48 AM

You are going to have a VERY HARD time trying to breed a female with a much bigger body than the male. If the male can't wrap her and squeeze the eggs out while lining up their naughty bits, your eggs will either not be expelled at all, or not fertilized. You are much better off with giant males and normal females.

I've experimented with this in the past and the males just got frustrated and aggressive. I wouldn't recommend it.

Any fish with a light body will not show breeding bars, so it depends on if she is dragon enough to cover all of the black on her body. If there is a fair amount of black showing through, you will be able to see breeding bars on that place.

#3 Lady_Dragon

Lady_Dragon

Egg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Referred By:Search

Posted 31 January 2012 - 12:09 PM

Thanks Maryanne, that's what I thought...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq