Sarah Berry

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
  • Betta Count:1- Edgar Blutbod
  • Total Fish Count:1
  • Statement:RIP Bitsy.

Posted 26 January 2012 - 02:46 PM

Ok, so I have been researching, reading and reading, watching videos, looking at pictures, reading and more reading for weeks now trying to figure out what I want to do with my 29g tank. It hasn't even been cleaned yet so I'm clearly in no hurry- much more research to do before I even buy the substrate, heater, probably a new filter as well as decor. And then there's the month-ish wait for the tank to cycle!

We made a quick trip to Petsmart last night for dog treats, and I of course had to go visit the fish section. I was happy to see that my research has paid off somewhat, and I was able to identify many different fish (and their improper tankmates!) without looking at their tags. :yayaya: Wondered outloud to myself why a goldfish was in the ADF tank, and if that's why the tank was otherwise unoccupied. They had a wall of maybe a dozen tanks of various goldfish, so it was definitely peculiar he was far away on another wall, in a tank meant for another species entirely. The pictus catfish were flying all around their tank and pretty amusing to watch!

The cichlids were in a few tanks themselves, "assorted African" being the strangest scientific name I've ever seen! There was a rainbow of fish in that tank, yellow labs and bumblebees amongst them, and I had a strong feeling all would not be so peaceful if they weren't such tiny babies. One of them was swishing back and forth on the substrate, digging himself a little bed, and I thought that was simply so adorable and fascinating, it confirmed to me that cichlids are what I want to put in my tank.

I am not very interested in any shell dwellers, and far more drawn to my little buddy the cockatoo Apisto, as mentioned in my title. I am also very interested in the Bolivian Rams, and the Mrs. was of course drawn to the bright yellow labs in the Petsmart tank. I have done much research into the BR's and Apistos, but not so much the yellow labs. From what I've read, they seem to require a large population to keep aggression down, and I'm not entirely sure I want a tank full of bright yellow fish. The kitties on the other hand I'm sure would enjoy something so bright and easy to watch. :)

My question is this- can the Apisto cacatuoides live peacefully with the Bolivian Rams, or the Labs? I'm not interested in breeding at all at this point, though if it were to happen, I'd certainly be happy my fish were happy enough to spawn. Is there a specific number of each fish that would work well together?

I'm also curious how essential 'dither' fish are- the only ones I've seen mentioned with these cichlids are tetra, assuming they're from the same biotope. I'm not very fond of tetra, but if they'll make my cichlids happier, I'll get some.

I was also thinking about a bristlenose pleco, though I haven't researched these as thoroughly either. I really like Maryanne's blue one though, and the babies it had were far too cute to resist! :)

Any input, ideas, suggestions or just "nooooo don't do that, silly!" are appreciated!

#2 PHIL

PHIL

Egg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 02:34 AM

A pair of Apistos would normally do fine with Bolivians, but a 29 may be to small. I'd say if you were to attempt it make sure to keep only a pair of each and provide plenty of plants and wood for cover. The labs would have no place with these fish, new and old world cichlids should never be mixed due to differences in water and diet needs on top of a Mbunas overall aggression compared to a SA dwarf.

#3 Hippiechick

Hippiechick

The Glitter Queen

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,940 posts
  • Betta Count:1
  • Total Fish Count:50 +++ got more now!
  • Referred By:BettaMomma and Chris
  • Statement:"Time to nut up or shut up!" Tallahassee, Zombieland...

Posted 28 August 2012 - 12:22 PM

Yea, mixing South American and African cichlids is not recommended. Some people do this but with varying degrees of success and I certainly wouldn't recommend doing this unless you have other tanks set up and running where you could quickly move fish out once problems developed. Since you've done a lot of reading on the subject, I'm sure you have read that somewhere along the line. Also, I agree that a 29g tank may not be big enough for 2 pairs. Definitely not if it has the tall footprint rather than the long. Cichlids are highly territorial and if they start breeding, that territory becomes even more important. As for dithers, that's really up to you. Since you don't seem to like them, I would do without. I don't use dithers in any of my cichlid tanks so I don't personally see them as being necessary.

Do let us know what you decide to do! I'm looking myself into restocking some of my tanks. I don't have as many as I used to have but that isn't really a bad thing. I've gone from having 15 tanks to having 6 and 2 of those are betta tanks, LOL.

#4 sarahberry

sarahberry

Sarah Berry

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
  • Betta Count:1- Edgar Blutbod
  • Total Fish Count:1
  • Statement:RIP Bitsy.

Posted 29 August 2012 - 12:27 PM

Thanks for the input! As it turns out, I measured and it's a 20 gallon- and I put a gargoyle gecko in it! :) I am still interested in the Bolivians... someday! :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq