ZiraCrownBetta

Fry

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts
  • Betta Count:5
  • Total Fish Count:16

Posted 20 January 2012 - 10:36 PM

Hello! Sorry havent been on a while. Just got nets, and new comp and couldnt remember log in XD

Anyways, Petco had a donation brought in. Some kid got a betta and didnt like it (spoiled little brat) told his parents wanted a fighting fish. He wanted a cichlid not a betta. Anyways, so I got this little guy for 3 bucks.

But I need help IDing him....
Named him Amarillo Sky cause of the white body, yellow fins, and light blue outline.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

He is currently in a small one gal tank to make sure he/she/it is all good and healthy before I divide a 10gal for him and my DT Morbid.from what I can tell there are 4 rays but its hard to count when he wont stay still lol. As well as he wont do a complete flare yet... when he does flare, you can tell his tail can spread more than he is doing.He was sort of flaring in the first pic, he doesnt like the flash lol, but the prob with flash is it reflects too much off his white and all you get is a white blob o.O

Also, this guy is a picky eater... O.o tried 3 different pellet foods, Freezedried blood worms, microworms, even cichlid food and freeze dried shrimp o.O
Im currently trying to culture up some Baby Brine Shrimp... maybe that will work. I put him in a barebottom photo tank to try get some better pics (there is different foods in the bottom, none he ate).

Posted Image

Youtube vid.

He clamps up worse when he sees his reflection. And when placed next to another male. Im hoping he relaxes the next few days to get him to really flare good. Maybe you guys can help me decide what he is???

Also, I assume he is a male. Looks like one to me. But he is my first Plakat so....yeah XD

Edited by ZiraCrownBetta, 20 January 2012 - 10:45 PM.

#2 Maryanne

Maryanne

UltimateBettas Veteran

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,850 posts
  • Betta Count:Enough.
  • Total Fish Count:Many!
  • Referred By:google

Posted 20 January 2012 - 11:14 PM

I would consider him an opaque yellow cambodian, I guess.

He's a traditional plakat fin-wise.

He's cute :) Baby brine shrimp will be too small for him though. Do you feed at the same time every day?

#3 Eratic-Fish-Finatic

Eratic-Fish-Finatic

Betta FINatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts
  • Betta Count:2
  • Total Fish Count:30
  • Referred By:Google search engine
  • Statement:Canadian bacon isn't a real thing, here in Canada, it's ham cut from the lower back. Food facts!

Posted 21 January 2012 - 01:08 AM

Traditional Plakat tail type, yellow dragon I'm guessing with a bit of blue trim which is beautiful by the way.

#4 ZiraCrownBetta

ZiraCrownBetta

Fry

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts
  • Betta Count:5
  • Total Fish Count:16

Posted 21 January 2012 - 02:14 AM

Thankies. Im not sure on the traditional though... Ive seen pics of traditionals and his tail spreads larger. I just cant get him to flare up real good, let along get a good pic when he even attempts to flare. Im hoping he will settle down by the time the week is over.

And yes, I feed my fish twice a day. once at about 11am and again before bed at 11pm.

#5 Maryanne

Maryanne

UltimateBettas Veteran

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,850 posts
  • Betta Count:Enough.
  • Total Fish Count:Many!
  • Referred By:google

Posted 21 January 2012 - 08:28 AM

Traditional and HMPK are differentiated not by the spread of their fins, because traditionals reach the 180 as well as HMs, but on the shape of their fins.

Traditional plakats have 2 rays, rounded caudal edges, a pointed anal fin and rounded plakat dorsal.

HMPK have more of a HM look in that their dorsal looks like a short version of a HM dorsal, rounds into their caudal at the right height, their caudal has 4+ rays and a distinct D shape with sharp edges and crisp corners. The anal fin in a symmetrical HMPK has no point, whereas a HMPK has a slight point.

Your guy is technically a transitional form - between the HMPK and traditional forms. The reason I decided to classify him as traditional was the caudal. The "D" shaped caudal with its crisp corners and even edging is THE hallmark of a HMPK. Without it, I wouldn't classify him as a HMPK.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq