foxmartini

Not just your regular cup of Joe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts
  • Betta Count:over 30
  • Referred By:google

Posted 16 January 2012 - 05:25 PM

I saw this guy online, though he is hunchbacked, what a cool color! You can see through his fins, if the breeder had one with a nicer back line, would this color be easy to replicate with a matching female? And if it was, would the hunchback come thru into the fry seeing as they are all siblings?
Posted Image

Edited by foxmartini, 16 January 2012 - 05:27 PM.

#2 Kendra

Kendra

Betta Love Doctor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,885 posts
  • Betta Count:Growing
  • Total Fish Count:Growing
  • Referred By:My betta
  • Statement:Good in some, evil in all, is the reason why humans will fall.

Posted 16 January 2012 - 10:43 PM

I was admiring that fish too, he had quite a bidding war on him earlier along with some of the other males that came from the same breeder. The red pattern and contrast is quite stunning, but I don't think it would last. Even if you bred a sibling female to him you wouldn't many fry looking exactly like him.

#3 Maryanne

Maryanne

UltimateBettas Veteran

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,850 posts
  • Betta Count:Enough.
  • Total Fish Count:Many!
  • Referred By:google

Posted 17 January 2012 - 06:53 AM

That is due to a type of marble/butterfly gene. It is similar to the tutwiler butterfly, but without the outer band and with a red body. Marbles constantly change, but a lot of the time they do so in a similar fashion to their parents. So if you had a marble that was mostly white and only a few spots of color, the fry that marble will tend to do that kind of marbling. So if you bought this fish and bred him, you might maybe get some like him, but there is no guarantee that it will stick, and there is no guarantee that you'll get any.
  • Bambi-80011 likes this

#4 Clara5

Clara5

Fry

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  • Betta Count:3 adults - Many fry!

Posted 17 January 2012 - 10:32 AM

Hey there,

Yeah, I know what you mean Maryanne, the father of my fry lost most of his transparent butterfly since I got him... he's still got a bit of it, but mostly what happened is that the transparent part of his fins have become an iridescent green like the rest of the fins... You can only see a difference from about 45 degrees, where the sheen of what used to be transparent looks less green than the rest of the fins... Kind of disappointed in that, but I guess there's nothing I can do about it!

Have a great day!

Clara5

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq