Egg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  • Betta Count:3
  • Total Fish Count:3x
  • Referred By:internet

Posted 01 January 2012 - 05:25 PM

I already posted these in the intro section but now that I found out he's a HM I figured I'd share him in this section of the forum :)

This is Falcor when I first bought him at Petsmart on 11/2/11. He was TINY! The Petsmarts in my area seem to carry very young Dragonscales. As you can see from these pictures, I had no idea how beautiful he would become!

Posted Image

Posted Image

This is a picture from 11/22/11
Posted Image

This picture is from 12/7/11
Posted Image

Posted Image

A week ago
Posted Image

None of his pictures do him justice, he is blue/purple/red/white with a purple/pink body and his dragonscale's are still coming in around his head.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
  • TaylorAicklen and SteveBuran like this

#2 WigglePuppy

WigglePuppy

Alpha Betta

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,229 posts
  • Betta Count:4
  • Total Fish Count:enough....I think

Posted 01 January 2012 - 05:33 PM

He's not a dragon of any sort. He's a multi. Very pretty boy :)
  • Nelson likes this

#3 Solitarianknight

Solitarianknight

Formerly known as dimidiata

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,255 posts
  • Betta Count:2
  • Total Fish Count:many
  • Referred By:the gravitational force that shrouds UB
  • Statement:luchamos por la liberación de los bettas! Las viva bettas

Posted 01 January 2012 - 06:21 PM

Id have to agree, he doesnt appear dragon at all but he is a very pretty lil guy, and grew sooo much. I like his multi pattern.

#4 firesparks8

firesparks8

Egg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 07:25 PM

Id have to agree, he doesnt appear dragon at all but he is a very pretty lil guy, and grew sooo much. I like his multi pattern.

They marked him as a dragonscale at the store, I just figured his scaling hadn't come in yet. And either way, I <3 him :)

#5 LouisaMaeBrown

LouisaMaeBrown

UltimateBettas Veteran

• Elite Member
  • 7,745 posts
  • Betta Count:Ever changing :)
  • Referred By:internet search
  • Statement:I am NOT addicted!.... okay, maybe I am, a little.

Posted 01 January 2012 - 07:49 PM

Definitely not a dragon, but he IS beautiful. :)

Edited by LouisaMaeBrown, 01 January 2012 - 07:49 PM.

#6 Solitarianknight

Solitarianknight

Formerly known as dimidiata

• Members
  • 4,255 posts
  • Betta Count:2
  • Total Fish Count:many
  • Referred By:the gravitational force that shrouds UB
  • Statement:luchamos por la liberación de los bettas! Las viva bettas

Posted 01 January 2012 - 10:04 PM

Unfortunetly stores are often wrong(sometimes thats good, very good) And you get a fish diffrent then labled, sometimes thats good if you can spot the actual type of the betta. Say a HMPK labled female VT big score. He is a lil beauty though and im surprised at how young you got him, i never see them that young at my stores.

#7 firesparks8

firesparks8

Egg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 11:31 PM

Unfortunetly stores are often wrong(sometimes thats good, very good) And you get a fish diffrent then labled, sometimes thats good if you can spot the actual type of the betta. Say a HMPK labled female VT big score. He is a lil beauty though and im surprised at how young you got him, i never see them that young at my stores.

Yeah I am not sure if it's the breeder that supplies them to the Petsmart's in my area but they (the ones labeled as dragonscales) are all this small typically. I always swing around and look at their betta's when I am in the store and typically see them around the same size he was. It's sad considering their still so weak to be dealing with all that transporting.

Edited by firesparks8, 01 January 2012 - 11:31 PM.

#8 firesparks8

firesparks8

Egg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 08:19 AM

This is a picture from 11/22/11
Posted Image

This picture is from 12/7/11
Posted Image

Posted Image

A week ago
Posted Image

None of his pictures do him justice, he is blue/purple/red/white with a purple/pink body and his dragonscale's are still coming in around his head.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Update: I have moved Falcor to a 10 Gallon tank with some live plants and 4 Panda Catfish.

The night before the move we had a cold snap - I am in Florida - and I didn't have my heater installed yet and it got pretty cold in the tank ( around 60 degrees F)...the catfish and Falcor seemed a little shocked by this but recovered especially with the heater installed and keeping the tank at around 75 degrees.

Anyways - since the move - Falcor got stuck on the filter intake a couple of times ( much to my horror) and thus his fin on his abdomen got shredded a little bit and lately I noticed his dorsal and tail fin have been looking a little sparse. His dorsal actually looks stuck together.

He is acting normally, eating and swimming normally. Only new thing he does do is sleep on the floor of the tank - which I think he picked up from his catfish buddies.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Should his fins be something I am concerned about as far as sickness?? Only his bottom one looks shredded and I saw pieces get sucked up by the intake (which I had on the lowest setting) but his dorsal fin looks almost stuck together ( greasy?).

I did some water tests and did a 60% water change the other day....but my levels were all safe and that catfish have no problems.

Any ideas what could be bothering or thinning out his fins in this way? Is there anything I need to do?

Side note: he has also been very docile as of late, barely flares when I put the mirror up. Only his gills, not much of his fins.

Edited by firesparks8, 22 January 2012 - 08:51 AM.

#9 LilGreenPuffer

LilGreenPuffer

Yeah, I'm "that girl with the fish."

• Members
  • 7,006 posts
  • Betta Count:1
  • Total Fish Count:4
  • Referred By:Google
  • Statement:My mission is to make your day a little more surreal.

Posted 22 January 2012 - 02:17 PM

His dorsal fin is clamped - a sign of stress. Catfish don't like salt, but your betta needs it right now to help his fins heal, so I'd set him up a little hospital tank. Warm water - 80-82 degrees - and a teaspoon of aquarium salt per gallon will prevent infection and help him heal, and a high-protein diet will also help him heal and regrow his fins faster. Best not to do the mirror stuff for now.

You might want to find a way to reduce your filter's flow, or you could cover the intake with pantyhose. However, if it never gave him trouble before and he suddenly got stuck, he may have been sick - healthy fish don't get stuck on filter intakes unless they're wicked strong.

ETA: If you've got cories in there, you should probably use sand instead of gravel.

Edited by LilGreenPuffer, 22 January 2012 - 02:19 PM.

#10 firesparks8

firesparks8

Egg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 05:06 PM

His dorsal fin is clamped - a sign of stress. Catfish don't like salt, but your betta needs it right now to help his fins heal, so I'd set him up a little hospital tank. Warm water - 80-82 degrees - and a teaspoon of aquarium salt per gallon will prevent infection and help him heal, and a high-protein diet will also help him heal and regrow his fins faster. Best not to do the mirror stuff for now.

You might want to find a way to reduce your filter's flow, or you could cover the intake with pantyhose. However, if it never gave him trouble before and he suddenly got stuck, he may have been sick - healthy fish don't get stuck on filter intakes unless they're wicked strong.

ETA: If you've got cories in there, you should probably use sand instead of gravel.

Thank you, I do have another tank but would need to get an additional heater and get the salt. How long would I have to keep him in there? Just until his fins look normal again? I wonder what is stressing him out...the move to this new tank happend around the first week of January so he's been in there three weeks and him and the cory's get along just fine...no aggression towards them whatsoever.

Btw, I only put the mirror up to see how he reacted, I don't normally do it but I just was trying to get a gauge regarding what was wrong with him.

Regarding the intake: the new intake was different from my whisper filter, I think it was just because it was something new that he wasn't used to he got stuck. Other than the couple of times in the beginning I haven't seen him get stuck again.

Regarding the sand: I read about that after I had set them up. I'll try to put some in next time I clean the tank. I just didn't want to add a new substrate after I had everything set up and settled down.

#11 LilGreenPuffer

LilGreenPuffer

Yeah, I'm "that girl with the fish."

• Members
  • 7,006 posts
  • Betta Count:1
  • Total Fish Count:4
  • Referred By:Google
  • Statement:My mission is to make your day a little more surreal.

Posted 22 January 2012 - 06:09 PM

Yes, until he's healed up enough that he doesn't need the salt anymore. They don't have to be fully regrown, but he should be well past risk of infection.

You should go ahead and get an extra heater anyway. :) I always keep a spare on hand for hospital/quarantine/replacement.

#12 firesparks8

firesparks8

Egg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 10:55 PM

So far his behavior has improved...he is acting a little more normal, a little less stressed. I'm just hoping he gets over this hump :( he's back in my 1.5 gallon with a heater and the salt.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq