KeithP

Juvie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  • Betta Count:1
  • Referred By:none

Posted 22 December 2011 - 05:04 PM

2 years ago I purchased a baby betta at Petco that was accidently shipped out with the older bettas. He was starving as he was too small to eat pellets and was sick and weak. Now Petco has a baby betta section, I know most of those bettas will die if people try to feed them pellets they will starve, at that age daphnia and tiny brine shrimp are all they can fit in their mouths.

Why do they purposely ship bettas at such a young age, they can't even be sexed yet, all people have to do is put them in a tank together thinking they all are female and it will be a massacre!

Back when Petco wasnt selling them on purpose, I managed to buy a betta baby and he turned out to be a good looking Veiltail. I fed him frozen daphnia and tiny brine shrimp until he was old enough for crushed pellets and bloodworms, but most people would not have known to feed them that.

Edited by KeithP, 22 December 2011 - 10:40 PM.

#2 JessiBessi93

JessiBessi93

UltimateBettas Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,048 posts
  • Betta Count:1 little girl <3
  • Referred By:Yahoo Answers LOL
  • Statement:God loved the birds and invented trees. Man loved the birds and invented cages. -Jacques Deval

Posted 22 December 2011 - 07:08 PM

Are you serious?! Gosh, chain pet stores just keep getting dumber and dumber. Poor babies, they'll starve to death because the pellets are too big :(

#3 Kendra

Kendra

Betta Love Doctor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,885 posts
  • Betta Count:Growing
  • Total Fish Count:Growing
  • Referred By:My betta
  • Statement:Good in some, evil in all, is the reason why humans will fall.

Posted 22 December 2011 - 09:32 PM

There's a topic about it here.

http://www.ultimateb...opic=63238&st=0

It's very sad to see such young bettas for sale. So far from what I've seen they are all just excess VT bettas, and most that I saw at one store had fin rot or some problem going on. I'm sure their water quality in the cups is bad.

I also just got back from my regular Petco tonight because I was shopping for doggy X-mas gifts. I went over to the bettas as always and they just got more baby bettas. I noticed some of them were double-tails, so idk if they were just randomly selected fish that just so happened to be DT, or if these baby bettas are coming from all of their "special types."

I still recommend to not purchase them. It's betta selling gone too far. They may survive the shipment easy enough, but I would not condone it.

#4 KeithP

KeithP

Juvie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  • Referred By:none

Posted 22 December 2011 - 10:27 PM

Here are the only positive points for buying a baby betta, if your looking for a healthy betta.

1- If the betta survives shipping and is healthy, your betta will never experience the stress and poor living conditions most adults bettas go through when being shipped and kept on shelves for long periods of time. This includes male bettas stressing seeing other males, and females stressing being surrounded by males. Most baby bettas sold arent yet at the stage where they stress if they see other bettas nearby.
2- Baby bettas have room to swim in the cups sold, unlike most mature male bettas who have little room to move.
3- If healthy, they will live longer than most bettas sold which are already mature or expired breeders.
4- With such short fins, most wont have any fin damage, unlike many mature male bettas with torn and shredded fins.
5- You'll have the chance to raise the betta giving it a better immune system and healthier life than older bettas sold which endure stress,starvation, and body damage for long periods of time. You can give your betta the best foods to grow up on and give him/her the best coloration, plenty of room so it gets enough exercise and room to grow those fins out.
6- The surprise you may end up with a gem of a betta since you dont know how he/she will grow up and turn out to look like.

#5 Seirenes

Seirenes

Egg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Total Fish Count:1
  • Referred By:Google

Posted 31 December 2011 - 10:15 AM

When I went to Petco, to purchase a hood for my 10 gallon aquarium, I noticed that they had baby bettas for sale. At first, I thought that perhaps they were there on accident and I soon realized that they planned to sell them on purpose. This Petco is very good with their live animals and the cups weren't nasty like the ones that Walmart and Meijer keep. I'm not sure what they feed them, but the babies look very healthy as if they've been getting the proper food and such. However, this causes a big problem for those stores that don't treat the live animals well.

No matter how well one store may treat the babies, they shouldn't be sold because of how many stores are actually abusive to their stock. I don't believe that these babies are old enough to be taken and sold to uneducated customers, too. If they can't eat pellets or flakes like the customer thinks and is told, it's basically a death sentence for being born. That's something that I'm not alright with knowing.

#6 Isha

Isha

The Invisible One

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts
  • Betta Count:Only 1 betta left :(
  • Statement:Bettas are my therapy pets. They're what makes me smile. I love those critters.

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:55 AM

I saw them too when I went to Petco. They were so cute, but it was so sad to see the delicate little critters being sold like that. :(

#7 Maryanne

Maryanne

UltimateBettas Veteran

• 8,850 posts
  • Betta Count:Enough.
  • Total Fish Count:Many!
  • Referred By:google

Posted 14 January 2012 - 08:39 AM

I finally saw the baby bettas at the store. They were about a month and a half old. Far far too small. At least they had the Hikari Micro pellets next to them which if they don't swell is the only thing even close to what they can handle.

#8 glasshaven

glasshaven

Halfmoon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 763 posts
  • Betta Count:20+
  • Total Fish Count:LOL
  • Referred By:Google/Facebook

Posted 15 January 2012 - 02:03 AM

My local Petco still doesn't carry them, or at least containers advertizing them as babies, but if some they carry were much younger they'd still be eggs.

#9 Maryanne

Maryanne

UltimateBettas Veteran

• 8,850 posts
  • Betta Count:Enough.
  • Total Fish Count:Many!
  • Referred By:google

Posted 15 January 2012 - 06:35 AM

I didn't think my petco was carrying them, but I found them on a shelf away from the bettas :/

#10 LilGreenPuffer

LilGreenPuffer

Yeah, I'm "that girl with the fish."

• Members
  • 7,006 posts
  • Total Fish Count:4
  • Statement:My mission is to make your day a little more surreal.

Posted 15 January 2012 - 12:50 PM

I went ahead and started a Change.org petition. https://www.change.o...ng-baby-bettas#

Edited by LilGreenPuffer, 16 January 2012 - 11:55 AM.

#11 Christina O.

Christina O.

Toboelover

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • Betta Count:5
  • Total Fish Count:They move too fast to count
  • Statement:Go with the flow.

Posted 15 January 2012 - 01:23 PM

Happy to report that my Petco still doesn't have babies.

#12 LilGreenPuffer

LilGreenPuffer

Yeah, I'm "that girl with the fish."

• Members
  • 7,006 posts
  • Total Fish Count:4
  • Statement:My mission is to make your day a little more surreal.

Posted 16 January 2012 - 12:01 PM

I sent Petco an e-mail telling them that I disapprove of this practice even more than I disapprove of their regular betta care standards (and gave a few pertinent details); I said that I and other people I know won't be buying these baby bettas; I also said that I won't shop at Petco until this stops (leaving out the little detail about how there's not a Petco in my area).

Dear Clare *****,
Thank you for notifying us of your concern.
We appreciate your concern on this topic and want to assure you that the well-being and proper treatment of animals is always our top priority. I will be sharing a copy of your concern to the appropriate upper management for review.

Please know that we care about our customers and what they think of us. By letting us know when we fall short of your expectations, we have the opportunity to address your concerns and to be better prepared to meet your expectations in the future. If we can be of any further assistance, please feel free to reply to this communication or call Petco Customer Relations directly at 1-888-824-Pals (7257). Thank you again for contacting Petco.

Sincerely,
Chester B.
Customer Relations Coordinator

Healthier Pets. Happier People. Better World.

I e-mailed back and asked to be kept informed about what the upper management says.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq