ZiraCrownBetta

Fry

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts
  • Betta Count:5
  • Total Fish Count:16

Posted 22 January 2012 - 12:08 AM

I talked to my local PetCo and the manager said the baby bettas only come in periodically. We have only gotten them twice.
The babies we get are breeder donations, ones they dont want. They arent allowed to sell them for much so by marketing them as baby bettas with unknown genetics 2.00 is the most they could sell them for.
I also educated the staff on how to properly feed them since the guy that brought them in didnt say anything. They sell frozen Baby Brine Shrimp and every other day they feed them that and every other day in between crushed pellets. Its sad to see a few have grown up in the cups over a month or two, but at least they are being fed better. and I even typed up a care sheet with info I found on the web of how to feed them and locations to find and start your own cultures.
Just mainly wanted to share the info that it may not be the store, but the local breeders bringing them in that young. As well as my store welcomed the info and sheets they could copy and pass out with them. We may not be able to prevent the selling of these guys, but we can at least try to educate and maybe people would listen and give them better lives.

I dont have the actual sheet on this computer, but I remember the links I used. I could post them. I just took bits and pieces from the sites and put together on a sheet with a happy betta doodle lol

Betta Fry Food

Micro Worm Culture

Multi Mix Cultures

What They Eat

Water Changes

More Info on Water Changes

Over All Care

Betta Point of View
  • LilGreenPuffer likes this

#14 xxIAmMexx

xxIAmMexx

Fry

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  • Betta Count:3
  • Total Fish Count:12

Posted 22 January 2012 - 12:31 PM

I haven't seen any babies at my Petco in particular, but I did want to give you all a little piece of information. If you want to go further in stopping this, perhaps it would be good to also contact Petco's actual distributor and letting them know your concerns. I don't know if it's the same all over the country but the distributor for the Midwest is Apet Inc.

I had an interview with Apet a few weeks ago (didn't get the job), and honestly, they take a lot better care of their animals than I expected, and their focus is primarily on fish. They do actually push the stores they sell to to take much better care of their animals. It does come down to money for them, but they care more and are a bit more knowledgeable. If you informed them about things and let them know that you won't buy anymore products originating from them you might actually get them to request NOT to get babies in.

#15 LilGreenPuffer

LilGreenPuffer

Yeah, I'm "that girl with the fish."

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,006 posts
  • Betta Count:1
  • Total Fish Count:4
  • Referred By:Google
  • Statement:My mission is to make your day a little more surreal.

Posted 22 January 2012 - 12:39 PM

That's interesting. How would we contact Apet? I don't actually have a local Petco, so I don't have anyone to ask about a supplier.

An update on my e-mail - I didn't hear anything back about what management said, so I sent another e-mail on Friday asking for an update, and hopefully I'll have an answer by Monday or Tuesday.

#16 Maryanne

Maryanne

UltimateBettas Veteran

• 8,850 posts
  • Betta Count:Enough.
  • Total Fish Count:Many!
  • Referred By:google

Posted 22 January 2012 - 02:14 PM

Really? Yours come in from local breeders? Our Petco doesn't buy from local breeders and cited some corporate policy.
  • RandomWiktor likes this

#17 Kendra

Kendra

Betta Love Doctor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,885 posts
  • Betta Count:Growing
  • Total Fish Count:Growing
  • Referred By:My betta
  • Statement:Good in some, evil in all, is the reason why humans will fall.

Posted 22 January 2012 - 03:50 PM

I think that employee was mistaken. He probably didn't really know where they came from and probably just said "oh they come from local breeders." Petco has a policy like Maryanne said. I was asked once by an elderly couple at Petco if I would take their guppies because the store wouldn't accept them due to policy.
  • C M likes this

#18 xxIAmMexx

xxIAmMexx

Fry

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  • Betta Count:3
  • Total Fish Count:12

Posted 22 January 2012 - 11:14 PM

http://www.apetinc.com/ Is Apet's website. You should be able to contact them through there. They do have a bit more knowledge than chain stores, but their goal is still making money, so if they learn people aren't happy with what they're supplying and won't buy from them I'm sure it will have an effect. The headquarters is actually where I visited for my interview. They supply Petco and Walmart in the Midwest, and many local pet stores. They do breed a few things, but as far as I know it's mostly small animals. Their fish are mostly from over seas. They just distribute to companies.

More than likely Petco wouldn't be able to buy from any local breeders themselves because of a contract with their distributor (Apet) stating that they will only purchase from them. I know Petco does typically take in "adoptions" though.

#19 SquishyBettax4

SquishyBettax4

Alpha Betta

• Members
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 11:10 AM

So which is better the liquid fry food or the live food?

What live would you recommend?

The jokers at petco said they eat the same stuff adults do but crush it up.

Edited by SquishyBettax4, 24 January 2012 - 11:14 AM.

#20 Maryanne

Maryanne

UltimateBettas Veteran

• 8,850 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 01:05 PM

Liquid fry food is useless. Don't ever get it, it will just foul your water.

Bettas under an inch should be fed freshly hatched bbs, daphnia, chopped blood worms, chopped adult brine shrimp and high protein small dry foods. The dry foods I feed my young bettas are Dry Hatchery Diet by sustainableaquatics.com, and Golden pearls diet by brineshrimpdirect.com. Baby bettas should get more frozen and live foods than dry foods, though.
  • RandomWiktor and C M like this

#21 SquishyBettax4

SquishyBettax4

Alpha Betta

• Members
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 08:51 AM

When I picked up my bloodworms the guy said once they are bigger to feed them first bites. Anyone know about that?

#22 Maryanne

Maryanne

UltimateBettas Veteran

• 8,850 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 09:16 AM

First bites is a powdered food that is used for newborn fish (and bettas don't tend to like it anyway).

He told you that because that is the smallest food that Petco carries and they are only going to suggest things they have in stock.

Petco does not carry any dry food that would be good for a baby betta. The frozen foods they carry would be good for them, but most will need to be chopped to make it small enough for them to eat. The only thing that wouldn't need cut up are daphnia.

#23 SquishyBettax4

SquishyBettax4

Alpha Betta

• Members
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 08:50 AM

I wasn't at petco just as an fyi.

I don't think there is a place around here that has daphnia. How do I know when I can switch them off of the bloodworms to the pellets I feed my adults?

Of course I'm going to still feed the bloodworms but not every day like now.

#24 LilGreenPuffer

LilGreenPuffer

Yeah, I'm "that girl with the fish."

• Members
  • 7,006 posts
  • Betta Count:1
  • Total Fish Count:4
  • Referred By:Google
  • Statement:My mission is to make your day a little more surreal.

Posted 31 January 2012 - 04:39 PM

I sent Petco another reminder asking them for an update. I was told that they are "considering the issue," and they thanked me for my "continued patronage." *headdesk* I reminded them that I had said in my original complaint that I wasn't shopping there as long as they were selling baby bettas.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq