2 replies to this topic

#1 SchutzhundChick

SchutzhundChick

Egg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 03:17 PM

hello there!! so i am fairly new to fish keeping, started with a betta in august of this year and i now have three different tanks running with betta fish. I got a used 30g tank from my aunt for christmas, the only catch is i had to do some major cleaning and repairs to the tank and stand. it had been sitting in their leaky basement with old gravel for 17+ years. i'm getting the filter/heater from my parents for christmas and once i get those i'm starting the cycle. i plan on moving my 4 corries from my 10g to the 30g, getting 2 more and then i know i want some kind of gourami but besides that i'm at a loss, lol. I was looking at honey gouramis because i love their color but i'm open to other ideas. So if you have any helpful websites for me or whathave you would be great!! i mainly need to know the number of gourami i should keep, what kind of fish i can't put with them, wether i should get males/females, etc..

thanks!!

#2 brianjim

brianjim

UltimateBettas Veteran

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,547 posts
  • Betta Count:Lots and Lots
  • Total Fish Count:Even more
  • Referred By:myself
  • Statement:It's all fun and games till someone puts their eye out.

Posted 17 December 2011 - 06:33 PM

If you are talking about Dwarf Honey Gouramis, they are one of my favorite. Do keep in mind they don't always stay that vibrant orange, yellow and blue unless there are females around. Easy fish to keep and breed. They are only about 2in. so they need to be kept with small gentle fish. Small Tetras would be best.

#3 Solitarianknight

Solitarianknight

Formerly known as dimidiata

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,255 posts
  • Betta Count:2
  • Total Fish Count:many
  • Referred By:the gravitational force that shrouds UB
  • Statement:luchamos por la liberación de los bettas! Las viva bettas

Posted 24 December 2011 - 09:40 AM

I like honeys aswell due to their low temperments, be sure that you are buying honey gourami and not Dwarf gourami. the later is very similar with the exception of agression, shouldnt be kept with other gourami but tend to make a stunning centerpiece for a tropical community. There are also banded, and thick lipped gourami. There are some harder species like chocolate and licorice. Sparkling/croaking gourami are small beautiful peacful little guys that show more of a betta resemblance then other gourami.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq