Photo

My first betta breeding attempt (take 3)

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#49 Maryanne

Maryanne

UltimateBettas Veteran

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,850 posts
  • Betta Count:Enough.
  • Total Fish Count:Many!
  • Referred By:google

Posted 24 February 2012 - 03:22 PM

Those are breeding bars :)

Males sometimes get "breeding bars" but they are more of a sign of submission.

That fry looks like a little lady though.

#50 Clara5

Clara5

Fry

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  • Betta Count:3 adults - Many fry!

Posted 14 March 2012 - 09:22 AM

Aaannddddd, I'm back!!!

The fry have been doing great, growing steadily. The biggest ones are about 1 1/2 inch long now, and a few are starting to show agression. I'll be starting the jarring process very soon. Any specific method you recommend I use?

Also, I know that I've seen the babies take breaths at the surface, so I assume their labyrinth organ has formed. However, since the top for my tank is a piece of foam, I was wondering if it was going to be a problem for the fry that the air will be colder once I jar them, since I don't have another piece of foam I can use for that... At 3 months of age (they will turn 3 months old four days from now, counting from the hatching), are they still in a critical phase with the formation of their labyrinth organ or have they passed that already? Are they still at risk of developping "pneumonia" or are they ok now? Since I don't have the expertise needed for using the flexwatt tape, I'll be heating the jars by putting them inside of a larger tub filled with water and heating that. If you have better setup suggestions, please go ahead!

Now, here is what you've ALL been waiting for (ok, maybe not that bad, but oh well, can't help if I'm happy about the babies doing great :P ), the pictures!!! YAY!!!
These were taken last sunday, on their official Week 12 day!

Group pictures:
Total headcount on this picture: 80!!! There must have been one hiding under the filter! :P
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

On the bottom left you can see one with a patch of missing scales... I'm the one who did that, she got stuck under the tube I was using to siphon the tank!!! She's recovering now, but I almost had a heart attack, I was SURE I had accidentally killed her! Tough little girl!
Posted Image

Group closeup - I like the lavender one on the bottom right :-)
Posted Image

And here are some closeups with commentary! (let me know if I've got the sexes wrong and why please!)

Red Male / Green Female / A little one whom you can't tell the sex yet - or his final color at that / Blue-green male
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Pictures of Mr. Black:
About two week ago, he "wasn't there" (hadn't developped his full color), what a surprise when we saw such a beautiful little one all of a sudden!
Really beautiful fins, the longest in all the babies in the aquarium!
He is starting to get agressive, he'll probably be the first one I will remove from the common tank. :D
He is absolutely splendid!!! I think that going to be one of those I'll keep for myself! :-)

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

A marbled pale baby / Mister Purple x 2
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Male - One of the two peach colored x 2 (same one) / Male - Wow, his fins are really beautiful with the transparent edge

Gray female - She kind of looks like Mr. Black, she also has only recently developped her full color. - Green male / Another unknown little one / Marbled peach female

Mrs. Purple x 2 (the same one whose pictures you previously saw and Maryanne said was a "little lady", she's still sporting her breeding bars :) )
Posted Image Posted Image

My little weirdo, or as my fiancÚ named him: The Hunchback of Notre-Aquarium, LOL!!! :P / The Hunchback (on the left) and one of his/her brothers

#51 marko

marko

Alpha Betta

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,002 posts
  • Betta Count:many
  • Total Fish Count:too many

Posted 14 March 2012 - 09:32 AM

those do kinda look like breeding bars... how old are they? i have heard an account of somebody seeing an embrace occur (with a small resulting spawn) in a growout tank where one of the females happened to mature relatively quickly.

#52 Clara5

Clara5

Fry

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 09:41 AM

those do kinda look like breeding bars... how old are they?

Week 12, but she's had them for about a month now :P Her mother diplayed hers constantly (all the time, not even when a male was present), actually, maybe she does the same thing?

Have a good day,

Clara5

#53 Maryanne

Maryanne

UltimateBettas Veteran

• 8,850 posts
  • Betta Count:Enough.
  • Total Fish Count:Many!

Posted 14 March 2012 - 10:36 AM

What a nice variety! They are looking GREAT. Those blacks are always fun. They are such a dingy blah color until one day POOF black :lol:

They are old enough to breed at 3.5 months usually. So it's not rare to see breeding bars at this age :)

Their labyrinths are completely developed at this stage. They are even big enough/developed enough to ship.

#54 LouisaMaeBrown

LouisaMaeBrown

UltimateBettas Veteran

• Elite Member
  • 7,745 posts
  • Betta Count:Ever changing :)
  • Referred By:internet search
  • Statement:I am NOT addicted!.... okay, maybe I am, a little.

Posted 17 March 2012 - 04:18 PM

They look great! :)

#55 PeachesMarie

PeachesMarie

Resident Whovian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • Betta Count:2
  • Total Fish Count:28 fish and some inverts
  • Statement:The whole point of swearin' is that it ain't appropriate.

Posted 17 March 2012 - 04:46 PM

So many colors! Nicely done :)

#56 Clara5

Clara5

Fry

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 09:07 PM

Hey there everyone!!!

I'm back with a small update. This afternoon I jarred 12 males into their temporary individual housing! :)

That, of course, included Mr. Black, who seems like he was definately the Alpha male in the bunch. I took the opportunity after separating to feed them some pellets, and all but one had no trouble swallowing them, so I'm happy, this means I'll probably be able to move onto a less hectic feeding schedule (I'll probably slow down to 2 times a day, now that they're in their separate tanks and I'm better able to evaluate how much food they're getting).

Also, on the same topic, I was downright shocked to find out that Mr. Black started building a small bubble nest in his small tank!!! I honnestly couldn't believe it, bubble nesting only hours after being moved into single housing! Of course, he can still see two of his brothers, and that may just be why he's doing that, since he's stimulated by their presence.

Anyways, I'm really happy, thing are going great! And the babies are looking better than ever, apart from a few torn fins, prrof that it was more than time to jar them! :D

Have a great evening everyone!!!

Clara5

#57 Clara5

Clara5

Fry

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 10:13 AM

Hello all!

I'm back once again with another update, and more pictures!

First, the update: To this day, I have managed to sell 15 babies (6 females, 9 males) to two LFS, as I really needed the space to keep on jarring males. So far as I can see, I seem to have gotten a few more males than females on this spawn, which kind of complicates things for me. Right now, I have a setup that has 21 jars, all full. I only have 6 more jars available but they don't fit in the bin I have, so I'll be creating a new bin for those.

A friend of mine should be passing by this weekend to choose the ladies (6 or 7 for a 10 gal. tank) for his sorority, so that'll help me free up more space :) Also, there are only about half of the original 81 fry still in the common tank at the present time so agression is a bit less intense than it was. I can't wait to be able to finally take out all the males though, I'm getting kind of anxious to do it...

If you want one of the babies that are still available (I am located in Canada, and know nothing about transhippers, so I'd much rather avoid shipping to the US for the time being) let me know and I'll reserve them for you! I'm only missing some heat packs and I'll be ready to ship the little ones to any of you in Canada that would want some. :D

So here's what you have been waiting for, the pictures!!! Some pictures may look distorted, but that's because the mason jars I put the babies in are "decorative" and thus have embossed glass that twist the picture.
If some of the babies seem to have nicks in their fins, it's only from when they were in the common tank, and are already growing back. Also, there are a lot of babies for which I still don't have individual pictures, I will make them available here as soon as I can! :)

SOLD OR RESERVED:

Mr. Purple - He's developped very nice colors on his fins. Look, he's even got an almost transparent egde to his fins!

Mr. Butterfly - Look, he's also got a transparent edge on his top fin, and the bottom half of his anal fin was transparent as well (show up a paler iridescent green on the picture), to the point I had trouble identifying him as a male.

Mr. Orange and Red

Mr. Black!!! - A nice view of his caudal fin / Look at the little bubble nest he made in his tank! How beautiful! I'm keeping him! My plan for him is that he's getting his own 5 gallon tank :)

Mr. Peach No. 1 - He had only just started showing a bit of color (not on this picture) / Mr. Peach No. 2 (x2) - Same for him! He'd started to "marble out". :P

Mr. Copper

Mr. Rainbow

Mr. Green

Mr. Fire - This was one on the nicest babies with red fins so far! :)

Mr. Black No. 2 - He's got a nice little pink iridescense on his fins. :)

Mr. Masked Ball - His whole body is black, EXCEPT for a yellow spot around his eyes and on his forehead / He's got a blue iridescence on his scales.

AVAILABLE:

Mr. Nice red fins / Mr. Multi-colored No. 1 - A nice half-moon! / Mr. Multi-colored No. 2

Mr. Multi-colored No. 3 (x2)

And that's all for now!!! More pics to hope soon, hopefully!

Have a great day everyone!!!

Clara5

Edited by Clara5, 28 March 2012 - 12:47 PM.

#58 marko

marko

Alpha Betta

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,002 posts
  • Betta Count:many
  • Total Fish Count:too many

Posted 28 March 2012 - 12:38 PM

i love masked ball, if only i had room...

#59 Clara5

Clara5

Fry

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 12:48 PM

i love masked ball, if only i had room...

Well, he's been reserved (I edited my post to reflect this), and you're in NJ, so out of reach from you until I know if I can ship to the US.

Clara5

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq