WigglePuppy

Alpha Betta

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,223 posts
  • Betta Count:5
  • Total Fish Count:enough....I think

Posted 11 December 2011 - 12:45 PM

Long overdue as these guys were smooshed into their 5g. Tank consists of random platies, swords and mollies as well as one lone guppy who survived the Great Guppy Disaster. Tank is kept at 80-82 degrees and it gets a tablespoon a gallon of instant ocean brand marine salt. Deco is small natural pebbles, a wad of fine plants for the babies to hide in, and a big area for swimming for the adults. Uber simple and rather boring but the fish are happy.

These are very poor images as there isn't any proper light in the room at them moment. I also discovered how filthy the front of the glass is as soon as the flash went off....

Posted Image
the tank itself. It's in the plant room and is on a shelf surrounded by mostly orchids.

Posted Image
a variatus platy and an orangish mickey mouse platy that I swear tried to be in every picture I took.....

Posted Image
swordtail. I have NO idea what her coloring is considered. She has a matching male only he has more random orange blotches. He also hates the camera.

Posted Image
there's that freakin mickey mouse platy again!! LOL

Posted Image
this beautiful molly girl was sold to me as a swordtail. I knew exactly what she was but at a dollar cheaper I kept my mouth shut.

Posted Image

filthy glass!! and the dalmatian molly girls. Almost all the fish in the tank are female...it just kinda worked out like that.

#2 amethyst

amethyst

Alpha Betta

• Members
  • 1,159 posts
  • Betta Count:1
  • Total Fish Count:An ever-changing number
  • Referred By:Carmenellie
  • Statement:All is well, all is well, and all manner of things is well.

Posted 12 December 2011 - 02:23 AM

Beautiful fish! I'm really surprised they did as well as they did in 5g, and there are quite a few of them even for a 10g. Good thing they're mostly female, or your space would be overwhelmed quickly with fry. You must have to do water changes a lot to keep the tank clean. I don't envy you that! They are pretty, though. I especially like your blue platy and the molly. Good luck with them.

By the way, you may already know this, but the male swordtail is likely to mate with the platys if there is no male platy present and you only have one female swordtail. He might even mate with the molly. Then again, since he does have one female sword, he may give her all of his attention and leave the others alone.

#3 WigglePuppy

WigglePuppy

Alpha Betta

• Members
  • 1,223 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 08:00 AM

Water changes galore, yes!

As for the male sword mating with the platies, yes he will and any hybrid babies that result aren't a big deal as platies and swords are so hybridized to begin with (as hobbyists pass color mutations from one species to the other) that it doesn't really matter. Breeding with the molly would result in nothing as Poecilia cannot be fertilized by Xiphophorus.

#4 amethyst

amethyst

Alpha Betta

• Members
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 11:02 PM

According to some sites, swords and platys are also Poecilia, but a different line. Who knows? Guppies and mollies can also crossbreed, but you probably already knew that, too.

The molly that was sold as a swordtail - she looks like she's a mix of silver and golddust or creamsicle - is she? I have some silver lyretail mollies that range from pearly white to silver, but none of them have the gold tones she's got. She's so pretty!

Edited by amethyst, 13 December 2011 - 11:04 PM.

#5 Strick

Strick

Resident Lothario

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,895 posts
  • Betta Count:1, for now...
  • Total Fish Count:30+

Posted 13 December 2011 - 11:19 PM

Looks great! Nice job.

And by the way, it's spelled "Upgrayedd"...

#6 WigglePuppy

WigglePuppy

Alpha Betta

• Members
  • 1,223 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 09:11 AM

According to some sites, swords and platys are also Poecilia, but a different line. Who knows? Guppies and mollies can also crossbreed, but you probably already knew that, too.

The molly that was sold as a swordtail - she looks like she's a mix of silver and golddust or creamsicle - is she? I have some silver lyretail mollies that range from pearly white to silver, but none of them have the gold tones she's got. She's so pretty!

Poeciliidae are freshwater livebearers, which is further broken down into the branches Poecilia - guppies and mollies (who do occasionally hybridize) and Xiphophorus - swords and platies which are so hybridized on purpose you'd need WC specimens to work with pure lines. Poecilia and Xiphophorus and branched off far enough from each other that hybridization doesn't happen (though they do try and breed with each other and there are a few reports of offspring happening but always dying within a matter of days)

The molly in question...no idea what she is! She was in a tank of dalmatians and is more pearly white than silver, with the peachy spots in her dorsal. I think she's just a total mutt and I'm going to keep an eye out for more like her! She was purchased at Petsmart.

edit: Endler's are also Poecilia and also so hybridized with guppies it's damn near impossible to find pure Endler's. There are many species of molly and what you see in petstores are pretty much all crazy hybrids (with stunning results!! :D .

Edited by Kate, 14 December 2011 - 09:13 AM.

#7 amethyst

amethyst

Alpha Betta

• Members
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 03:01 AM

I was getting Poeciliidae and Poecilia mixed up, I think. The only place I've ever seen warnings that swords and mollies, or guppies and platies can crossbreed is on aqadvisor - if you put them in the same proposed tank on that site, you get a warning that they shouldn't be mixed because of the possibility of crossbreeding. I do know that swords and platys are crossbred all the time, deliberately and accidentally. In fact, when I bought my first swordtail female, who is an orange and white mickey mouse swordtail, I thought she was a platy. She quickly got considerably larger than the platys, however, and despite male platys in the tank, never gave birth until I purchased a male marigold swordtail. A month or so later I had 84 swordtail fry! Not all of them lived, despite separating them out - took her out of the community tank and put her in a separate tank the day before the drop, then put her back - but I have raised most of them. They are just past 7 months old now, and I have traded 6 for some plants with another UB member and taken 21 to the lfs for store credit. I still have at least 25 that are still growing - as I take the larger ones to the store, the smaller ones have more room to grow and less competition for food. They are a very interesting mix of mostly orange to orange and white, some with mm spots, some without, some with the spots but that look faded. The weird thing is that only 1, so far, has developed the male gonopodium, just within the last couple of weeks, and his tail has started to extend on the bottom - so far no more than 1/8". I've got the remaining adolescent swords separated into 4 tanks, with no adult males present in any of those tanks, so that the younger boys will start developing. My latest purchase of swords have been 2 green girls and 2 others that are green and orange. I have a young adult male green wag that showed up unexpectedly from a red wag mother who was pg when I got her. She only had a few offspring, and he's the only one that survived. She also died within a few weeks of purchase - not sure why. Anyway, he's really pretty, so I got him some girls. I'm also keeping one of the other girls who is an orange and white mm, with more white than any of the others. It will be interesting to see what comes from her and the green wag male.

Good luck finding more of the pearly white mollies with peachy gold accents. I bought a really pretty black male sailfin with orange on the back edge of his dorsal fin and some orange in his tail to mate with my silver girls. I was hoping for some dalmatian lyretail sailfins with orange accents, but he didn't make it. :( I only had him for a few days, so I got credit for him. They have some other black males, but none with the orange touches.

Edited by amethyst, 15 December 2011 - 03:03 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq