sde09001

Crowntail

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • Betta Count:4
  • Total Fish Count:25

Posted 10 December 2011 - 11:52 AM

Hey everyone. Been a while since I posted about my geckos but something has come up and I need some input. I recently got a baby crested (only 3g when I got it/her, nwt 4g 3 weeks later) at Petco. A grand opening sale, free gift cards for the first 50 people, and a 50% off live reptiles coupon are a deadly combination to a new gecko nut like me, lol. When I brought her home she settled into a large kirtter keeper well and was eating CGD right away. She's a little shy but I've recently been handling her a little bit each day. She seems to enjoy it and loves crawling over my fingers. The odd thing is recently she's begun to try and attack my finger through the walls of her tank. she'll lunge full force at the plastic to get at my finger, but as soon as I put my fingers in the tank to pick her up or give her food she could care less, and sometimes even runs away from them. Any ideas what's up with this? Could it just be her growing older, or maybe she's just a little punk with a big mouth and no guts? lol. I'm not too worried about it other than how hard she lungs at the walls, I'm afraid she'll hurt herself.
On side note Zul is doing great. He's gaining weight again (13g now) and is very active. He's getting upgraded to a medium exo-terra terrarium soon, the tall ones at petsmart, and I just need some more decorations.

#2 Susurro

Susurro

Loves bettas more than people

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,733 posts
  • Betta Count:1
  • Total Fish Count:1
  • Referred By:The Interweb
  • Statement:"The mind is everything. What you think you become." - Siddhartha Gautama

Posted 10 December 2011 - 12:15 PM

My cresteds do that, I don't think it's abnormal, they just think you're food or a predator or something.

#3 Stormphyre

Stormphyre

UltimateBettas Veteran

• 4,117 posts
  • Referred By:Snow

Posted 10 December 2011 - 03:08 PM

I'm in agreement she might be thinking your fingers are a tasty snack. Perhaps put more foliage around sides so that she doesn't see this fake food?

#4 sde09001

sde09001

Crowntail

• Members
  • 573 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 04:16 PM

Ok thanks. Will do as soon as I can get some safe plants. I am trying to get some pothos from stop and shop since my fiance can save me a couple and not spray them with leaf shine.

#5 Laura Lee

Laura Lee

Fresh Fish Freak

• Retired Moderator
  • 3,940 posts
  • Betta Count:I've lost count!
  • Total Fish Count:bizillions
  • Statement:Real change doesn't happen until the pain of staying the same is too great.

Posted 10 December 2011 - 05:03 PM

Stop looking so much like a cricket. :P

Actually, I have several that stalk me. Pretty sure they associate me with food. I have two that bite the fire out of my fingers on cricket night when I go to put them in the KK I use for feeding... they're going to be dangerous to the health of my fingers if they keep it up once they're fully grown adults, I think LOL

#6 Susurro

Susurro

Loves bettas more than people

• 4,733 posts
  • Total Fish Count:1
  • Referred By:The Interweb
  • Statement:"The mind is everything. What you think you become." - Siddhartha Gautama

Posted 10 December 2011 - 06:44 PM

What's funny about my guys is they never used to do it, but now that they're in my bedroom my big girl (Who is now 27 grams!) likes to jump at me if I walk by at night if I get up to pee or something. It scared the sh*t out of me at first because I had no idea what was going on, but now that I'm used to it I just ignore it.

#7 08chrissy08

08chrissy08

Plakat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts
  • Betta Count:5
  • Referred By:google

Posted 12 December 2011 - 08:56 PM

Yep, agree with the others. Your fingers must look like something tasty to eat! I've found that a lot of these guys go through a hyper hunter phase. I've witnessed such things as shadows, water drops, and fingers being attacked. Once they realize the fingers aren't a delicious cricket or roach, they usually stop pretty fast.

#8 sde09001

sde09001

Crowntail

• Members
  • 573 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 05:21 AM

Well the little one went one step too far last night. Went after my finger and got a mouth full of coconut shavings. The fiance was freaking out and the gecko looked like it was having seizures when it was shaking it's head to get the stuff out. I grabbed an eye dropper and filled it with some water and squirted it into her mouth which she then began to shake furiously and sent little wet clumps of shavings all over the room. Sad parpt is, she hasn't learned her lesson, still trying to attack me as I type this. some critters never learn. lol

#9 Stormphyre

Stormphyre

UltimateBettas Veteran

• 4,117 posts
  • Referred By:Snow

Posted 15 December 2011 - 06:50 AM

Maybe just cover the side with a cloth for now?

#10 sde09001

sde09001

Crowntail

• Members
  • 573 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 08:52 AM

I finally found he fake ficus plant I ordered and wrapped it around the inside walls of her tank so act as a blinder. She seems to like it. It's sort of odd though, she seems to be awake during the day more since she started this whole attacking me thing. Are cresteds known to adjust to a diurnal lifestyle?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq